Thread: Where can I buy the cabin filter in Australia

My Cars
    1993 E32 740iL

Where can I buy the cabin filter in Australia

I want to fit a new cabin filter to my 740 and can't find anywhere that can supply a new one (other than the dealer) Can anyone in Australia tell me where I can get a new filter, tried the local parts suppliers and no go, I can get the LHD filter, but need the RHD filter as I don't feel like removing the steering column every time it needs replacing. If someone has replaced theirs and could tell me where they got it, Brand and part number (don't know if they are the same for all models?) it would be greatly appreciated.
    i have found them from overseas, but they don't confirm that they are for Right Hand Drive, and don't want to pay $40-50 for postage to find out that it won't fit. If someone could give me a brand and part number of the RHD filter I would buy from OS but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information regarding these filters, and want to buy the right part the first time,
    Thanks,
    PJ.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    For sure you can get the 2 piece split version RHD filter in the U.K., but shipping cost.... Tim has made a nice instruction http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E32/Microfilter/Index.htm
    Unfortunately no part number mentioned.
    Source in U.K. http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Nr-64318350016
    BMW RHD # from 06/1990 64118350011
    in case of E32 RHD with climate control from 06/1990 64318350016

Do not know the difference
    Last edited by shogun; 11-02-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1993 E32 740iL
    Thanks shogun, will look into it, will be interested to find out the shipping price, will post a price when I find out. Would love to find an Aussie supplier though, if any one can help

My Cars
    1993 E32 740iL
    Just thought I would post an update, couldn't find an Aussie supplier, had to buy from UK, ended up being $50 delivered, so happy with the outcome, as I pulled the original cabin filter out from when she was built!! just disappointed that we don't have the parts support from our Aussie suppliers for the passionate motorists that love these cars here in Oz

My Cars
    '92 740iL + '85 M635CSi
    I think I've changed my microfilter too early! This has clearly got another 100,000km use left in it! Most of the caked-on leaf litter that was stuck to it fell off in the removal and is now all around the pedals in the footwell.

IMG_2644.jpgIMG_2645.jpgIMG_2646.jpgIMG_2647.jpg

That T20 torx bit screwdriver was the hardest thing about getting this done. Had to go to four shops before I found this cheap kit with the right T20 screwdriver in it for getting the thing out!
    Last edited by Legoman; 09-23-2018 at 04:44 AM.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 735iL
    Jesus, I bet mine is the orig with 146k on it... $50 delivered is reasonable I would say. Good info here, especially that kit from SCA.

My Cars
    1993 E32 740iL
    Legoman, where did you get your filter from? an Oz supplier?
    Had the same problem, with most of the crap falling off whilst pulling it out, I ended up having to pull the vacuum out to clean out where the filter sits!
    I like the cheap kit you found, might go get one myself.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Ebay u.k., on his pic it says Mahle LA177-1
    search for MAHLE La177/1 Pollen Cabin Filter 64311390870 64318350016 BMW 5/7
    MAHLE Cabin Air Filter LA177-1

BMW
    M5 (E34) 06/90-08/93 RHD with AC
    5er (E34) 06/90-08/93 RHD with AC
    7er (E32) 06/90-05/94 RHD with AC

seller is Opie oils http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Opie-Oils
    https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-70827-...tname=Interior air (cabin) filter
    Last edited by shogun; 09-27-2018 at 09:31 AM.

My Cars
    92 735iL (12/1991)
    Interesting, my old filter, and the new replacement filter, don't have the horizontal plastic bar in the middle. Is that a LHD/RHD thing?

cabin_filter.jpg

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    That is a LHD filter, the RHD filter with the horizontal bar can be splitted into 2 pieces, otherwise it cannot be installed, as there is the steering column in the way , see here http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E32/Microfilter/Index.htm
    AC filter introduction
    all BMW - except E30- produced 09/1991 or later are 100% equipped with the microfilter. All E31 are 100% equipped with 2 filter since their start of the production. BMW with microfilters are supposed a red maintenance reminder decal in the glove compartment. However, on BMW between 9/91 - 5/92 many of the labels were inadvertantly left off. These BMW are - however -equppped with a microfilter - see SI 64 12 92 (3518)

Some vehicle produced prior to 9/91 may be equipped with a microfilter, and can be positively identified by the maintenance reminder decal in the glove box.
    Copied from a Service Information circular.

My Cars
    92 735iL (12/1991)
    Would never have guessed the reason, but it makes perfect sense now Thanks Shogun!

My Cars
    '92 740iL + '85 M635CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs e32 View Post
    Legoman, where did you get your filter from? an Oz supplier?
    Nope. Australia is a giant land of incredible rip-offs. Anyone reading this from anywhere else… don't come here unless you hate money and need to get rid of it fast! I don't even bother checking the local prices for anything anymore. Just a pointless waste of time. Doesn't matter what it is, the first thing you'll be told is we're out of stock (which is local speak for we never hold any stock, we just order in from eBay or anywhere else you could buy it yourself anyway and then mark it up 50% to onsell it to you).

Had the same problem, with most of the crap falling off whilst pulling it out, I ended up having to pull the vacuum out to clean out where the filter sits!
    I like the cheap kit you found, might go get one myself.
    Yeah I had to do the same with the vacuum, but my nozzle was too long to get it into the gap fully with all the pedals being in the way and all that. I had to use my wheel cleaning brush to brush out as much of the filth into the footwell first and then vacuum up from there. I thought afterwards I should have gone to the trouble of getting the air compressor out with the blow nozzle and shoved that in there as well, but that would have been a tonne more work and taken much longer and possibly created an even bigger mess to clean up afterwards inside the interior.

In this case with the RHD/LHD difference and the part number being exactly the same between the two different designs (trap for young players), I decided not to risk buying from a non-RHD country, because for sure you'd end up getting the LHD one which is then a royal pain in arse to fit. I had rellies coming out to Oz anyway for a wedding, so as shogun has correctly deduced, I bought from Opie Oils on eBay and had posted to rellies in UK to be included in their suitcase when they came out. I have no doubt at all doing that ended up being at least 50% the cost of buying the thing here in Australia.

That little toolkit was a good find in the end. It is absolute rubbish cheap, make no mistake. Utter single use garbage, but when you desperately need a T20 torx bit screwdriver that isn't a socket type to get the job done, it was perfectly adequate and by far the cheapest thing I could find with that particular tool in it. Repco wanted more than double the price just for the screwdriver alone, not including all the other picks and the storage box/case thing. The only other tools I could find that would have worked were right angle Allen-key type torx drivers in a full kit like an Allen key set for tamper locksmith kinda work, but those kits were 4 times the price. SCA had one right next to the kit I bought in the same isle. Altronics also have torx bit screwdriver sets but they're very small sizes like only T6-T12. Nothing as big as T15 or T20 like cars use.

My Cars
    92 735iL (12/1991)
    If I have to get into the cabin filter area again I am definitely purchasing a T-handle T20. I only had a small L shape T20 tool and undoing the fasteners with 1/4 turns was miserable at best. If anyone is thinking of doing the filter: don't be like me and listen to the sage advice posted elsewhere and get a proper LONG T20 tool!
    Last edited by Cactuar; 09-27-2018 at 08:47 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Tip for RHD owners from Australia. Opie Oils in U.K. gives club discount
    they also ship international https://www.opieoils.co.uk/t-Current-Offer.aspx
    Last edited by shogun; 10-16-2019 at 05:45 AM.

My Cars
    '92 740iL + '85 M635CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactuar View Post
    If I have to get into the cabin filter area again I am definitely purchasing a T-handle T20. I only had a small L shape T20 tool and undoing the fasteners with 1/4 turns was miserable at best. If anyone is thinking of doing the filter: don't be like me and listen to the sage advice posted elsewhere and get a proper LONG T20 tool!
    If you're in RHD-land you do not want a T-handle tool. You can't swing it with the steering column in the way. You also do not want anything longer than 13.5cm total length otherwise again, the handle will hit the steering column and you can't hold it straight onto the screw head you need to undo.

Those are spectacular wheels you have there Cactacular. If those are style 61 E38 wheels in your avatar, then you have very fine taste indeed and I tip my hat to you sir. I have exactly the same.

In my car it was evident that some rock-ape/rabid baboon apprentice dealership mechanic no doubt, has previously replaced the microfilter without a T20 screwdriver and instead decided the best course of action was to just force the wide shank of a T20 socket driver into the plastic shroud collar of the plastic retainer plate for the 'sword' and thus cracking all the plastic surround in so doing. Don't you just love it when so-called professional mechanics just throw fasteners away or break fittings in areas of the car they know damn well the owner is never going to see?

My Cars
    1993 E32 740iL
    When I did mine, I used an Allen key style torx tool, made it a bit hard, but having a torx on each end made it a bit easier, afterwards I bought a torx socket set with long and short sockets in 1/4 and 3/8 drive, can't remember how much, but it's been handy since

My Cars
    1992 BMW 735iL
    Solid info here for Aussie owners, inspired me to change my filter! Probably has 146k on it! Cheers

My Cars
    '92 740iL + '85 M635CSi
    Just got car back from a week(!!!) at the workshop having the fuel pump + both fuel filters replaced and having the SLS rear suspension height adjusted down slightly following previous work on arresting some SLS system hydraulic leaks. Ran the A/C home (first proper test of the HVAC system since filter replacement) and can confirm the airflow is vastly improved with a new filter element. The A/C was also more than capable of making me uncomfortably cold inside the car wearing a jumper in 24°C ambient and full sunshine.