Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My first turbo build....m52/t4spa/6262

My Cars
    E36

My first turbo build....m52/t4spa/6262

Hey everyone,

I am almost done gathering parts for my first turbo build on a 1996 e36 328is. I've done a lot of research and wanted to follow a "budget" type build. But I ended buying more expensive parts for the long run. My car has 216k miles on it but doesn't burn a lick of oil and runs very strong. I"ll throw a gasket on it for now and if she blows up I"ll have a local shop build her once the turbo components are on the car. As of now I"m looking for 400+ whp.

Turbo prep parts installed on car
    1. used e36 m3 3.23 lsd
    2. used m50 manifold
    3. new JB racing LTW flywheel/m5 clutch(someone said good to 500whp??)
    4. stock m52 cams(may grab a set of s52 cams if I can find them)

Turbo parts list
    1. new t4 spa manifold with wg ported to 38mm and n54 studs
    2. new precision 6262 journal bearing turbo with 3 5/8 v-band
    3. used 3" downpipe catless to magnaflow muffler, wastegate dump to atmosphere
    -I'll have to weld on a 3 5/8 flange and eliminate the wastegate hole
    4. new ces arp studs, copper spacer, cutring gasket specifically for m52(not all spacer/gasket combos are the same for m5x/s5x motors)
    5. new turbo lines with -4an turbo inlet flange(no restrictor), -10an return flange
    6. new rally road motor mount arm with akg right turbo engine mount
    7. safety wire oil pump nut and send oil pan to ar design to drill for return
    8. new rally road 340lph fuel pump
    9. rk tune(injectors, maf) for 10psi running off wastegate spring for now
    10. cx racing 31x12x3 intercooler with 2.5 hot side and 3" cold side piping(under subframe piping)
    11. tial 38mm wastegate and synapse sychronic BOV
    12. catch can
    13. lc1 wideband and aerometer digital boost gauge

I currently have everything except for the intercooler piping, tune, blow off valve, and wastegate. I should have all of these by next month.

First thing I did to prep the engine for the turbo was the m50 manifold swap with the bimmerworld adapter kit. I had to buy some new injectors since some of the green tips broke. The vacuum line that goes from the oil separator to the dipstick also was not long enough so I had to buy another one.

Overall, the install took about 3 hours so I was pleased.

Some pics of the turbo parts I currently have

The plan is to have the motor apart starting in January. Once I receive the intercooler/piping this month I'll go ahead and do the hot side. I want to keep the a/c so I'll be installing a low profile spal pusherfan in place of the stock auxiliary fan. I'll post pics when that is done.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Looks great. From personal experience, get those M3 cams as soon as u can. Night and day vs the m52 cams.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    E36
    Can't find a set for a decent price. Some guy is trying to sell a set for $550 on ebay.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    Can't find a set for a decent price. Some guy is trying to sell a set for $550 on ebay.
    Don't spend more than 350 on S52 cams. They are around. Check the classified section here. In engines, and FI. Also out up a WTB thread. You will get them.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    E36
    I just bought s52 cams through paypal from E36M328 for $230. But now I just realized he created his account on November 2nd and after doing research people have said it is a fake account. I try to send him an email this morning but google is saying that his account does not exist. I hope this doesn't end bad.
    Last edited by bmw328m52; 11-06-2014 at 11:47 AM.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Good luck with the build! I'm starting down the same route, but I wont be done until May or June.

My Cars
    E36
    Thanks man! FYI, DON'T buy from E36M328 until I figure my situation out. I got very lucky and paypal will issue my money back if this goes down hill. The member just joined this past sunday and cancelled his email the day after I sent him payment.

m3mods is offline Boost Addict BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    I have some s52 cams I might be willing to part with if that deal falls through

- - - Updated - - -

Nice buildl btw. Can't go wrong with a spa

My Cars
    E36
    Thanks! and yea once I get my money back from paypal I'll be looking for cams again. They said it'll take 11 days or so.

My Cars
    E36
    Update: worked on mounting the Cx intercooler today. I had to cut the bumper reinforcement to get it as close to the bumper as possible. The metal tabs that came with the intercooler seem a little flimsy so I may replace them with thicker tabs. Overall, install went well.

I removed the auxiliary fan but I'll be installing a spa 16" low profile pusher fan in its place. I'll also start working on the cold side piping. I should have it complete this weekend so I'll post more pics.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    It fits well in there! Spray it black for sleeper status haha
    Last edited by 96bmftw; 11-13-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: I saw the intercooler size

My Cars
    E36
    I'm actually debating removing the bumper grill...I want people to know

My Cars
    E36
    Just received my refund from paypal so I'm on the hunt for some s52 cams again. m3mods I just sent you a pm.

My Cars
    E36
    Some more updates...I received everything else I needed and got a tune from jordan at rktunes. Posted some pics of the initial tear down.

Full exhaust removed

m50 manifold removed

Engine looked healthy with 217k miles

Spal pusher fan installed

I'll be removing the front clip tomorrow and install the turbo mount/arm with initial turbo mockup. I'll have the head off at the beginning of the new year. Merry Christmas!

My Cars
    93 - 325is Coupe
    subbed.. i am doing a very similar setup so i'd like to see your build =)

ps: which injectors did you use? how many lbs?

@RJDRIFTS - @BIGDUCKCLUB

My Cars
    E36
    I am going with obd2 rktunes with 60 lb injectors. Some more pics tho!

Rally road 340lph fuel pump. I recommend buying the adapter kit as well to mount the pump. Made install so easy!!!

I'll be doing a cooling system overhaul as well while I'm in there. The most essential are the lower temp tstat(75 degrees) and the cfs aluminum radiator from bimmerworld. Don't want to overheat!
    Last edited by bmw328m52; 12-22-2014 at 09:03 PM.

My Cars
    93 - 325is Coupe
    nice... i just talked to Jordan and I'm figuring out something with him in regards of running. Yup i am running a mishimoto rad and spal fan and even on my stock M50 at full days of drifting those two pieces helped tremendously.

Thanks fro the tips mate i will be following your build.

What numbers are you planning on putting? or whats your goal.

@RJDRIFTS - @BIGDUCKCLUB

My Cars
    99 Tslvr M3 /98 dakar M3
    sub'd!

My Cars
    E36
    I want at least 400whp which should be doable with a 12psi. If not up the boost! Still waiting on my tune from Jordan after I sent him the stock ecu file flash.

My Cars
    93 - 325is Coupe
    Oh dude with that turbo you'll easily hit 400WHP i think. i am aiming with 450 as a reliable source for the whole season.

yup.. you and i both are nearly identical other than turbos and manifold lol..

@RJDRIFTS - @BIGDUCKCLUB

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Subbed, merry christmas!

My Cars
    E36 328 M-Sport
    Subd

My Cars
    E36
    Some more updates.

The JB flywheel I purchased did not have the lockpin hole. But with the front end removed, it was easy to make sure the lines matched up around the timing cover area. Camshaft blocks were flush!

Vanos removed

Camshaft blocks in

Camshafts and lifters removed

Head studs and remaining lines removed.

At this point it was getting late and I decided to grab a beer with some old friends for new years. Be safe out there everyone!

My Cars
    97 M3, 08 X3, 96 VW TDI
    I replied once, but it didn't post for some reason.

I give you props for attempting this with the engine in the car, no way my back can handle the stretching and contorting required. It was a huge pain to pull the engine and trans together, but I did need to pull the oil pan to weld in the drain bung. I'm not sure if the pan can be removed in the car, but I Know it is much easier to do out of the car. Not to mention fabing my hot side IC plumbing will not cripple me. We are pretty much at the same point on our builds, I'll be watching yours closely to "borrow" ideas

Speaking of stealing ideas, what wheels are those in your signature? The white with deep dish polished lips and the black car look bad ass.
    S52, OBD2 RK 60lb, cutring and spacer, ARP head studs, GT3582R, AA bottom mount, Tial 44mm WG, Tial QR BOV, Vibrant 3.5" IC, FX stage 4 clutch, hobbs switch meth injection, working AC, and 516 RWHP!
    97 BMW M3
    | 96 VW Passat TDI | 87 Porsche 930 | 92 Toyota Pickup | 00 S10 ZR2

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by fletcher0780 View Post
    I replied once, but it didn't post for some reason.

I give you props for attempting this with the engine in the car, no way my back can handle the stretching and contorting required. It was a huge pain to pull the engine and trans together, but I did need to pull the oil pan to weld in the drain bung. I'm not sure if the pan can be removed in the car, but I Know it is much easier to do out of the car. Not to mention fabing my hot side IC plumbing will not cripple me. We are pretty much at the same point on our builds, I'll be watching yours closely to "borrow" ideas

Speaking of stealing ideas, what wheels are those in your signature? The white with deep dish polished lips and the black car look bad ass.
    Thanks man. Oil pan can easily be dropped by lifting the engine off the mounts with a support and dropping the subframe. It'll go to AR design for the bung. As far as fabbing up the hot side piping, it just consists of the straight to 90 degree bend that can be difficult. I broke my back today trying to do some turbo mockups though(not literally). I managed to make the intake pipe for the turbo but at this point I'm worried about mounting the turbo without an engine stand. Should be interesting. The wheels are 3 piece AC Schnitzer type 1s 17x9 et6 and 17x10et19. 3inch lips all the way around. But here are some more pics of the progress today.

Rally road arm/akg turbo mount combo

Initial mockup

3" Intake done

Turbo and wastegate tube mounted

Finally coming together

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast