Thread: E30 Air conditioning removal

My Cars
    1987 325 coupe 2000 328i

E30 Air conditioning removal

I"ve got an 87 325e and I'd like to remove the air conditioning. The belt to the compressor has been removed for years. We live in the San Francisco Bay area and have never used air conditioning. My goal is to reduce weight and cleanup the engine compartment. What are the components I need to remove? Will this have any effect on drivability?

Thanks

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Complete removal would require taking the dash out to get the evaporator. Other than that it's pretty straightforward. Remove ac components. Drier, lines, condenser, pump, evaporator. Will have zero effect on drive ability.

Edit: dash removal isn't necessary, I'm thinking the wrong car I think.
    Last edited by dohcdoh; 10-30-2014 at 03:19 PM.

My Cars
    1986 325
    It'll be a bit lighter.
    1986 325 ~Elsa~
    Alpenweiss

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."

My Cars
    318i/5
    I removed my ac system on from a m10 and it cleaned up the bay a good bit. It also dropped a good bit of weight. Compressor was kind of heavy, so was the metal fan shroud and other bits. I dont miss it.
    -Леха

My Cars
    1987 325 coupe 2000 328i
    The AC is out of there! Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

There are 2 lines containing fuel that are integrated into one of the ac lines. They seem to route into the charcoal canister. anyone know if I can join them on the left (drivers side) to eliminate the long steel lines running across the firewall?

- - - Updated - - -

There are 2 lines containing fuel that are integrated into one of the ac lines. They seem to route into the charcoal canister. anyone know if I can join them on the left (drivers side) to eliminate the long steel lines running across the firewall?

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf2011 View Post
    The AC is out of there! Thanks - - - Updated - - - There are 2 lines containing fuel that are integrated into one of the ac lines. They seem to route into the charcoal canister. anyone know if I can join them on the left (drivers side) to eliminate the long steel lines running across the firewall? - - - Updated - - - There are 2 lines containing fuel that are integrated into one of the ac lines. They seem to route into the charcoal canister. anyone know if I can join them on the left (drivers side) to eliminate the long steel lines running across the firewall?
    What? There shouldn't be any fuel lines next to the refrigerant lines.

My Cars
    89 325i track, 91 318is
    You must have a car with the fuel cooling system that's on the return side of the FPR (http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...tem/#1380542_1). Since most E30s don't have this system I would think you could eliminate it.
    Last edited by vpilarry; 10-31-2014 at 12:19 PM.

My Cars
    1987 325 coupe 2000 328i
    You're right, I do have the fuel cooler. Apparently it a rare option for hot climate vehicles. Everything is out and it runs fine.

- - - Updated - - -

You're right, I do have the fuel cooler. Apparently it a rare option for hot climate vehicles. Everything is out and it runs fine.

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Say whaaat? Where is your car from?

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is
    So you just took out the lines going across the firewall?