Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goodies are coming!

My Cars
    11 335i, 01 740i Sport
    Lol just have them coded out, takes 10 minutes.
    2011 335i XDrive Coupe
    2001 740i Sport

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by JWalker View Post
    Lol just have them coded out, takes 10 minutes.
    I know right?, but battlerattler ain't having that! lol
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    I see your location is in Europe, so are you talking about DRLs (high beams running at low power) or city lights (small separate 5W bulb in the high beam housing)?

If the former, obviously you don't want to unplug your high beams.
    For the latter, it shouldn't be too hard to find a colored bulb. I believe 7BREYTON made a thread asking about that too, and may have found some blue LEDs for it.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    1989 E30 Coupe 320is
    ok, maybe I'm an idiot. small separate 5W bulb. city lights.... I see why you're all saying code it off because you get an error message when you disconnect the back. I'll check out 7BREYTON

- - - Updated - - -

thanks very much! I found these...

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E38-740iL-M62_4.4L/Lighting/Headlights/ES2575362/

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Those are high beam bulbs, but they are a bit bluer than normal:
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    1989 E30 Coupe 320is
    I think those seem worth the money...I'm wondering which Angel I should go with to match...unmnitza just seems too much. I think I'm going to buy either these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E38-E39-...b87&rmvSB=true

or these:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Wh...LED-Angel-Eyes

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I purchased the first link. I have not installed yet though

My Cars
    2010 750li & 2008 X5 4.8
    Well I have AE's from BMWLED in my 01 740il for over a year with no failure. I've been extremely happy with them. Easily installed with no problems, I simply followed KOOLJESS's write up. If they hadn't been recommended by another forum member here I would have went with the Umnitza's brand.

My Cars
    1989 E30 Coupe 320is
    Well I have AE's from BMWLED in my 01 740il for over a year with no failure. I've been extremely happy with them. Easily installed with no problems, I simply followed KOOLJESS's write up. If they hadn't been recommended by another forum member here I would have went with the Umnitza's brand.
    Roy, can you copy in the links to BMWLED and KOOLJESSs write up?

My Cars
    2010 750li & 2008 X5 4.8
    Quote Originally Posted by BATTLERATTLER View Post
    Roy, can you copy in the links to BMWLED and KOOLJESSs write up?
    Here you go:

BMWLED Website
    http://firstautoled.com/BMW-LED-Ange...ly-bright.html

KoolJess Installation
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-My-Angel-Eyes
    Last edited by roys740; 03-07-2015 at 04:52 PM.

My Cars
    1989 E30 Coupe 320is
    Thanks man

My Cars
    2010 750li & 2008 X5 4.8
    Thanks man
    Always willing to help a fellow enthusiast out. Angel eyes were amazingly one of the simplest and easiest mods I've ever made!

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    I was just looking at this set up and it got me thinking. You are actually diminishing your car's performance with this set up - especially compared to the OEM set up or air filter box. Your filter is sitting open and bare in the engine bay - this means it will suffer pretty bad heat soak from engine and header heat - particularly as you don't have it shielded in anyway that I can see.

I would suggest creating some kind shielding for the filter or better yet, re-create that CAI tube (what material was that?) and extend it to the plastic plate underneath the filter and cut through it and have the filter installed beside your SAP pump or some similar thing - pretty much what DINAN does.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    I think those seem worth the money...I'm wondering which Angel I should go with to match...unmnitza just seems too much. I think I'm going to buy either these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E38-E39-...b87&rmvSB=true

or these:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Wh...LED-Angel-Eyes
    I've owned both the ebay brand that you linked and the umintza v2's. I like both, but I like the appearance of the COB AE's vs the umnitza's and the lower cost. However the umnitza's wiring harness, etc seemed to be of better, more durable quality.

Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    I was just looking at this set up and it got me thinking. You are actually diminishing your car's performance with this set up - especially compared to the OEM set up or air filter box. Your filter is sitting open and bare in the engine bay - this means it will suffer pretty bad heat soak from engine and header heat - particularly as you don't have it shielded in anyway that I can see.

I would suggest creating some kind shielding for the filter or better yet, re-create that CAI tube (what material was that?) and extend it to the plastic plate underneath the filter and cut through it and have the filter installed beside your SAP pump or some similar thing - pretty much what DINAN does.
    I agree it very well could diminish performance and it's my intent to do just what you suggest Michael. Right now though I got bigger concerns - another cracked front windshield & suspension issues
    Last edited by kahlilj; 05-16-2015 at 05:18 PM.
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I agree it very well could diminish performance and it's my intent to do just that. Right now I got bigger concerns - another cracked front windshield & suspension issues
    Right on... it was just a thought. I like the ingenuity of the work. Can you give any details on how you did it? Materials, etc.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    Right on... it was just a thought. I like the ingenuity of the work. Can you give any details on how you did it? Materials, etc.
    You mean details of the modded air intake? Very minor: just removed the stock airbox, connected a metal tube and rubber adapter with a worm clamp to the stock tubing, then installed the new air filter with another worm clamp on the other end of the metal tube.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    You mean details of the modded air intake? Very minor: just removed the stock airbox, connected a metal tube and rubber adapter with a worm clamp to the stock tubing, then installed the new air filter with another worm clamp on the other end of the metal tube.
    Where is the metal tube from? Was it custom made or something that can be obtained from a retailer locally?

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    It came with the filter. You can purchase these kits on ebay or at local auto stores, performance shops, etc. Heck there was a post a few years back from someone completely fabricating their own:
    Cold air intake for my 7

It was done by 740ibimmer, but I can't find his original post.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    ok finally got another goodie installed: my K-sport Kontrol Pro coilovers. I just got my car back today and like the setup so far. I will report back after a few hundred miles and let you know status. I think I want the front lowered a smidge and/or the rear brought up just slightly. The rear has a more tucked look than I prefer - makes it look like I need spacers... or wider tires . I'm running stock tire sizes up front and rear (235 & 255) whereas on baby I, I ran 255's front & 285's rear. I also had new Meyle HD control arm kits installed on the front and rear too. car handles like butter now

What do y'all think?

The orange knobs are the damper controls ...almost matches my "orange aid" powder coated, valve covers

The Meyle HD control arm kit full set:

Last edited by kahlilj; 05-16-2015 at 05:38 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Curious how the K Sports are on the E38. Had them on another car a long time ago and they were punishingly terrible.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrabMafia View Post
    Curious how the K Sports are on the E38. Had them on another car a long time ago and they were punishingly terrible.
    So far they are ok & no different than how my Kido's felt when first installed (a bit bouncy for now). I believe the real feel will come after I've put a few hundred miles on them? maybe like 500 - 800 miles?
    The dampening is stiffened to give me really good throttle & brake response and turn handling. I really like the more planted feel too... but again I'll know better after a break-in period.

Their construction seems to be well made good quality. What other Car did you have them on?

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    What other Car did you have them on?
    I had them on a Sebring Convertible (no peanut gallery comments) and they were punishing. Like I had them on for 2 weeks and took them off punishing. Hopefully they work better on the E38.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    I had them on a Sebring Convertible (no peanut gallery comments) and they were punishing. Like I had them on for 2 weeks and took them off punishing. Hopefully they work better on the E38.
    took them off after only 2 weeks? yikers! were they new? or used? how many miles did you put on them in 2 weeks? when you say punishing" how do you mean? were they too stiff? bouncy? too harsh? could you adjust the dampening? or make any adjustments at all?

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    took them off after only 2 weeks? yikers! were they new? or used? how many miles did you put on them in 2 weeks? when you say punishing" how do you mean? were they too stiff? bouncy? too harsh? could you adjust the dampening? or make any adjustments at all?
    They were brand new. 26 way adjustable and it didn't matter what I set them on it was S T I F F. Like go kart stiff. Handled amazingly, planted, zero body roll, instant turn in. However it was like the suspension was solid. I put a few thousand miles on it. The turning point was a road trip to Ohio. My kidneys felt like they had been hammered flat.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    They were brand new. 26 way adjustable and it didn't matter what I set them on it was S T I F F. Like go kart stiff. Handled amazingly, planted, zero body roll, instant turn in. However it was like the suspension was solid. I put a few thousand miles on it. The turning point was a road trip to Ohio. My kidneys felt like they had been hammered flat.
    Deggone. That doesn't sound promising, but so far these feel ok solid but not too stiff. a lil bouncy, but not springy (yo yo effect). I agree with your result of the handling though it's very much instant and in tune. So what did you replace yours with? and what are you rolling on your e38 now?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast