Thread: 3 working keys - None activate the door lock/unlock

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328I

3 working keys - None activate the door lock/unlock

I've read other threads on this subject but they don't address my situation. 1999 E46 328i. New to us.

Came with three keys - all look like aftermarket key fobs. All three will start the car. None of the three will activate the locking/unlock mechanism. So we use the key in the door lock to enter and exit. One FOB looks beat to hell. Another has no light to show whether or not the battery is dead. The third has a light that indicates buttons are being pushed but nothing happens.

I've read the threads on how to program the FOB, but I'm concerned about de-activating the other keys because I don't know if the FOBs are healthy enought to make it through the 30-second process. Is it possible to buy three new FOBS with three fresh batteries and do this process once and get all three keys to work?

Are aftermarket FOBs a good idea or bad idea?

My Cars
    Bmw
    What programming method are you doing?
    Life is like a car wash and I'm on a bicycle.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328I
    This is the process I intend to follow. I don't need to reprogram the keys, just remotes. And I'm wondering if a auto parts store universal remote will work as a replacement to the aftermarket key fob remote controllers that are on there now - that I don't trust because they are beat up and not working.

1. Close all of the doors, trunk, and the hood.
    2. Place the key in the ignition and turn it to position one, "accessory". Turn it back to "Off". Do this FOUR more times. Remove the key from the ignition when you are done.
    3. On the new key, press and hold the "unlock" button, then, (while holding the unlock button) press and release the "lock" button three times. Now, release the "unlock" button. If the locks cycle, then you did it right.
    4. Insert the key in the ignition and turn it to "accessory" to exit programming mode.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330xi Sedan
    Try refreshing the batteries, who knows; the one that may or may not be dead is probably the one that'll engage the keyfob, or the beat up one.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    If you're calibrating more than one key (and if my memory is correct), you have to do the "unlock buton, lock lock lock" with each additional key without putting anything in the ignition. The locks should cycle after each additional key. Turning a key in the ignition restarts the process and will erase any stored keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.