Thread: P0365 code , Exhaust cam position sensor no signal

My Cars
    02 330i , 95 855 t5

P0365 code , Exhaust cam position sensor no signal

Ok guys so ive had this on going issue since the day i picked up my car. Its a 2002 330i auto sport/prem.
    So I bought the car knowing it had a slight issue ( because I got it cheap! )

Had two code p0365 Exhaust cam position sensor and p0444 Evap purge valve circuit open.
    Since owning it the past the months the car starts and runs but feels as if it has the power of a m42. I know the 330i should move well ( have past owned 96 m3 , 5 e30's stokers etc etc ) So i knew instantly something was up.

So before I had a chance to buy a scanner I started to trouble shoot myself. Started off with plugs. Noticed cyl1 had oil half up the plug passage. Found out that was due to a cracked VC under the coilpacks. Fixed that and replace plugs... Ran a little better. After that is when I picked up a cheap scanner and pulled both p0365 and p0444.

After reading I knew a aftermarket sensor would tend to crap out fast but I figured ok its just trouble shooting. Picked up a exhaust cam sensor for 35bux on pelican. Hoping this might fix my issue i replaced it. Went to start and still long crank and no power above 3k..... ok so I know these aftermarket sensor are hit and miss. So I have a buddy who works at a bmw shop so he pulled a OEM senors off a engine they had. With my fingers crossed i swapped sensors and NOTHING same code and long starts...ftl...

He then told me I need to get a dealer scan. At my job we have a shop so I asked to use their 15K scanner. That pulled the same codes... After that one of the techs said to only use BMW sensors ( yes i know i read about this.. ) So i went ahead and ordered a new sensor that set me back $120 from pelican. Again will all hopes high i swapped the sensor and still had the same result. po365... By then i'm thinking why did I pick this car up lol ( because its clean and cheap! )

So weeks go by, and I find a vac line coming from the FPR and it hanging around. Long behold its connected to a F fitting after the maf. So I ran out got a fitting and got it sorted out. Nope that wasnt it lol. By this time i'm really having 2nd thoughts about just selling this car and getting something else.

I talked to a buddy of mine and he said he could take a look at it. He said he knows the m54's pretty well and for sure and figure out the issue. So I get over to his shop and we hook it up to his dealer scanner. His code pulls up senor no signal.. ok that weird... So more trouble shooting.. He said the wires are known to get pinched by the oil filter housing and also by the thermostat. So we check the wires with a MM ( about a ft of wiring each ) all 3 wires check out fine. After that we check out the ground from the plug to the strut tower bolts.. they check out good. Next up from plug to DME plug... Good. Now the only wire we did not check was the signal feed the last wire.

Heres the weird part. If we unplug the senor and start the car it starts fine and no code pops up. However I did not test drive this way encase something gets damaged.

What Im asking is has anyone or know of anyone have or had this issue. Because of this its putting me on edge of selling this car. My buddy said he could reset the timing since theres a chnace the head has be removed. ( when I pulled the VC the valve train was very very clean. typically cars with 160k will have some browning. Not this one.. )

Im still awaiting his reply when he can do this.

Now what I think, theirs still that 3rd wire and from what I remember looking at the schismatics it runs to both sensors , maf and off somewhere else. Is there a chance it could be fauly somewhere else? Is there a relay between this sensor and dme? Can another sensor/o2 trigger this code? Is it possible the pick up plate off the cam is off or bent?

Sorry for the book guys, i figured i'd share my story. Ive had 7 bmws and this is the newest. I do 95% of work all my self but this has me stumped. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Ben.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The odd thing is that it didn't throw a code when the cps was disconnected. That doesn't make sense, except that there could be a dme issue. I believe that there is always some sort of signal from the cps whenever the engine is running. As you have access to dealer-grade diagnostic equipment, see if my assumption is correct. Also, you could verify it if you have access to an oscilloscope. If my assumption is correct, the next step is to pull the dme and check it for bad solder joints and fried partz! Good luck!

My Cars
    02 330i , 95 855 t5
    Thanks!

My Cars
    E46 M52TUB20 coupe
    I have the same problem: I've got "exhaust camshaft sensor - no signal" error. I have replaced the sensor to a brand new Hella. But the code come back after a few kilometer...

Have you got the solution?