Thread: BMW Motorsport Chassis (e46)

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer

BMW Motorsport Chassis (e46)

Hey all,

We own the DTC-007 e46 sedan factory motorsport chassis car (it's the yellow one, #10). I have yet to find information on any other 4 door motorsport chassis anywhere ... like they don't exist. Even this one, prior to out ownership is like a black hole (it was a BimmerWorld WC car). Finding info on any Motorsport chassis is tough enough. Anyone have any info at all? Google comes up pretty empty. I'm sure there must have been more in Europe ...
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    GTS-3 E36 racecar
    There is/was at least one on the west coast for a while that competed in CCA Club Racing, but I don't remember who owned the car.

-tony
    Tony Colicchio
    TC Design
    www.tcdesignfab.com

Motion Control Suspension factory authorized repair and rebuild facility, suspension design, set-up and parts fabrication. Rollcage, rollbar and chassis fabrication and repair.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    As far as I know the DTC cars were sedans designated for customer racing and were available back in 99/00. I have a contact at BMW Classic who may be able to confirm its history. Send me a PM if you prefer.

My Cars
    96M3
    I believe the west coast car, formerly a TMS car, was run by Matt Bell.

My Cars
    Z3's...
    I may know of someone who ran one in USTCC. They may still have it, and have posted on here in the past.

My Cars
    '74 2002, '91 E30
    I've got a VHS tape stashed somewhere of someone in Germany just doing a general walkaround of a brand new car circa 2000ish. It was a fresh build IIRC, everything still in white. I remember it because I thought it was hilarious that it was sitting on small stock wheels, looked like 15s lol

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

My Cars
    Euro Group N M3, 2004 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Hey all,

We own the DTC-007 e46 sedan factory motorsport chassis car (it's the yellow one, #10). I have yet to find information on any other 4 door motorsport chassis anywhere ... like they don't exist. Even this one, prior to out ownership is like a black hole (it was a BimmerWorld WC car). Finding info on any Motorsport chassis is tough enough. Anyone have any info at all? Google comes up pretty empty. I'm sure there must have been more in Europe ...
    Unless the chassis was built up by a team and you have the log book, there really is no history to trace. Your chassis was sold by BMW motorsports as a part, like anything else they sell. Teams would buy them and assemble them for whatever series they were racing in. There were a number of cars in the USA, mostly built for World Challenge and a few for Grand Am Street Tuner. Since the E46 is no longer eligible for those series, the cars have been sold off and are around in various club racing series. As far as I am aware, Bimmerworld never used Motorsport chassis for their WC cars, they usually built their own chassis, so I doubt its an ex-BM car. You will find a lot of E46 Motorsport chassis cars for sale as complete cars in Europe. They raced them in the European and World Touring Car Championship as 320i built to the S2000 rules. Run as search for E46 320 S2000 and you will find more. Your car uses the DTC nomenclature, which was for a domestic German Group N+ series (Deutchland Touring Cup) run in the early 2000's. Given your chassis is 007 and uses DTC instead of S2000 on the chassis plate, you have a very early chassis, probably built in 1999. Below is picture of a DTC spec 320i racing at Macau. The DTC used these rules up until S2000 class came out a few years later, then switched to those rules

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
    I've got a VHS tape stashed somewhere of someone in Germany just doing a general walkaround of a brand new car circa 2000ish. It was a fresh build IIRC, everything still in white. I remember it because I thought it was hilarious that it was sitting on small stock wheels, looked like 15s lol
    They were 15" or 16". That is what they are were required to run in the DTC series, see picture below

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ALong View Post
    Unless the chassis was built up by a team and you have the log book, there really is no history to trace. Your chassis was sold by BMW motorsports as a part, like anything else they sell. Teams would buy them and assemble them for whatever series they were racing in. There were a number of cars in the USA, mostly built for World Challenge and a few for Grand Am Street Tuner. Since the E46 is no longer eligible for those series, the cars have been sold off and are around in various club racing series. As far as I am aware, Bimmerworld never used Motorsport chassis for their WC cars, they usually built their own chassis, so I doubt its an ex-BM car. You will find a lot of E46 Motorsport chassis cars for sale as complete cars in Europe. They raced them in the European and World Touring Car Championship as 320i built to the S2000 rules. Run as search for E46 320 S2000 and you will find more. Your car uses the DTC nomenclature, which was for a domestic German Group N+ series (Deutchland Touring Cup) run in the early 2000's. Given your chassis is 007 and uses DTC instead of S2000 on the chassis plate, you have a very early chassis, probably built in 1999. Below is picture of a DTC spec 320i racing at Macau. The DTC used these rules up until S2000 class came out a few years later, then switched to those rules
    Thanks! That's really great info. My car is definitely an ex-BimmerWorld car ... I bought it from the guy who bought it from James

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Just wondering if you received my PM?

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Yes, and the email ... I thought I replied?? In any case, thanks a lot for digging out the info! It was much appreciated. I have yet to contact the team, but at least I know where the car started out!

My Cars
    '74 2002, '91 E30

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    That's awesome! Some interesting things in that picture that I would love to get my hands on: The headers, the front control arms (modified e30 m3?) and that half fuel tank! Brilliant idea for sprint races, no need for dual pumps, and less weight .... Hmmmmm. I wonder if one could get one of those someplace.

My Cars
    TV M3
    maybe its just the angle, but almost looks like the have the motor sitting straight up? for better exhaust clearance? And the runners on the intake manifold look a bit odd.... Wonder what the retail cost is on those CF door panels!!

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by uconnr View Post
    maybe its just the angle, but almost looks like the have the motor sitting straight up?
    I think that's because it's sitting on the ground (the front subframe is out of the car). And yes, that doesn't look like the normal intake manifold. Super cool photo!

Neil

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ALong View Post

- - - Updated - - -

They were 15" or 16". That is what they are were required to run in the DTC series, see picture below

Bimmerworld had 3 E46's 1 was a Motorsports Chassis car the other 2 were built in house.