Thread: m50tu turbo or stroker or turbo stroker?

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows

m50tu turbo or stroker or turbo stroker?

Need more power. Need advice from experience as I'm out away in ny.(any NY is not a helpful enthusiast).
    I have a full torn down m50tu in oil pans that was my bad head gasket lemon. (New engine replacement)
    Option #1 ...So there's the obvious turbo with 5-8lbs and mapped chip. And that's that.
    Option #2. Stroker conversion possibilities. Thinking m54 for ease. But what I understand I just put in crank rods and pistons from m54 to m50tu block and head and its ready to go? Or would this also need mapping? And would I use m54 cams and trays and head? To be honest there not specific at all on these stroker threads.
    Wondering if possible option #3? Turbo the stroker. Prolly not much boost at all. =my inheritance. Lol

My Cars
    250 & 2.5 Hellrot
    Go with option 1. I'm thinking of going stroker next year. I would love to go top mount, would love to but no inheritance won't allow lol

You're right about the M54 crank, rods and pistons into M50. Some people say it can run on factory tune or M3 tune, but I would go custom because of other upgrades

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    So I can put the m54 crank pistons and rods in. And that's it? Doesn't the m54 have the same pistons as the m50 tu? Both 84mm? And no dme changes? Wtf? That seems wayyyy to easy. What about the cams? Do I have to change those? S50? See... not very clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Hola!? seneor!? How's the

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Rebuilding an engine may be more involved than you think. Why not find a used M52 for about $500-$1000 and swap it in. If you can find a set of S52 cams for $250, add those. Down the road, consider a turbo if you have the funds. Figure on about $5k if you know what you are doing and buy a lot of used parts. You can make 500 rwhp. A guy here in NH is trapping 128 mph with a 300k mile M52.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I've got my m50tu refabbed. I'm pretty involved. I've figured the m54 route would give me another 14mm stroke with a 2mm higher tdc. So I imagine it should run without DME changes if the crank lobes are indeed proportionate to stock crank leaving the pistons close to where ever fire position is. That's 18% volume increase and about 32 more HP. Which isn't a lot I think. But it add crazy HP with a turbo to match putting me around 350hp at steady 8lb boost which is absolutely narley for my little vert. I just want to know exactly what doing before I go to do it, take the time off work, have wrong parts, throw engine block through wall! Lolz. I go hung ho BMW for like a week straight twice a yr. Not a toolshed tinkerer.

- - - Updated - - -

So to save $$$. Can I use my tu pistons? I heard somewhere long ago the knuckle is diff on these compared to other m pistons? I have not to compare.
    And how would I employ the fuel ratio change? Would the DME send the fuel or would I need aftermarket injectors to compensate? If someone could just give me a list? Lolol

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    If you hang around the FI section there are several NY people, not to mention RK tuning for your turbo needs. Plus I think the guy who does Broadway Static suspension and the Felony Form over-fenders is in NY. Sounds like plenty of quite awesome enthusiasts!

I vote turbo, any hybrid stroker / m54 related deal will not net a ton of extra power and that could just be wasted money because it's not as common engine setup should the desire for turbo ever arise. I have read though that an S50 equivalent almost can be "made" from an e46 M54B30 rotating assembly inside an M50tu block/head with S50 cams and then tuned just like an S50
    Last edited by jjjjjjj; 10-30-2014 at 10:10 AM.

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Ya. I'm gonna go turbo stroker. I sifted through a 2000 post 45 page thread on some other mechanics site. Took like 4hrs to find what I needed. And then I got yelled at for asking what they thought were stupid questions. Then they sifted and indeed couldn't find the info typed anywhere. So indeed stupid questions for those who have BMW engines at disposal. But to those who have yet amass said godly machine parts, cannot simply look to see matching capabilities. Lol. What it domes down to is m54 pistons,rods, and crank. Literally everything else from the m50tu and it will program itself and run. And somewhere around 230 HP. So I imagine that a small turbo will actually raise the power quite a bit without significant lbs without a crazy setup. And if not. Its whatever. I think I can buy a whole good m54 at the yard
    For around a $120.

- - - Updated - - -

But the m54 swap is horrible... and just too much for me with the DME changing and the wires and pins. And the electronic throttle change, no thank you. I'd rather just swap an internal and plug everything back together. Obd1 is my way to go too.

My Cars
    BMW 325i 1986 E30
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Ya. I'm gonna go turbo stroker. I sifted through a 2000 post 45 page thread on some other mechanics site. Took like 4hrs to find what I needed. And then I got yelled at for asking what they thought were stupid questions. Then they sifted and indeed couldn't find the info typed anywhere. So indeed stupid questions for those who have BMW engines at disposal. But to those who have yet amass said godly machine parts, cannot simply look to see matching capabilities. Lol. What it domes down to is m54 pistons,rods, and crank. Literally everything else from the m50tu and it will program itself and run. And somewhere around 230 HP. So I imagine that a small turbo will actually raise the power quite a bit without significant lbs without a crazy setup. And if not. Its whatever. I think I can buy a whole good m54 at the yard
    For around a $120.

- - - Updated - - -

But the m54 swap is horrible... and just too much for me with the DME changing and the wires and pins. And the electronic throttle change, no thank you. I'd rather just swap an internal and plug everything back together. Obd1 is my way to go too.
    Did you finish this project??? I'm about to do something like that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Yes. Custom machined eaton m90s on ms3pro.
    Ended up useing .50over forged pistons with comotic gakets and arp head studs.
    A 413 dme ran the stroker, but overall didnt let it really grunt like it should na. E46 330 felt much more torgue than the 3l ran with 413.

My Cars
    BMW 325i 1986 E30
    Yes. Custom machined eaton m90s on ms3pro.
    Ended up useing .50over forged pistons with comotic gakets and arp head studs.
    A 413 dme ran the stroker, but overall didnt let it really grunt like it should na. E46 330 felt much more torgue than the 3l ran with 413.
    Wow..that's sounds like a lot of money

I'm planning to do the stroker with the m54/m50nv cams. Maybe low boost turbo later it's my daily car so...

So I should think in a dyno tuning??

How much power you got with the supercharger??
    Last edited by Henier17; 11-19-2018 at 10:54 AM.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Not really. I work at a junk yard and my machinist happens to love odd ball stuff. I picked 2 freshly rebuilt chargers off a couple of buicks. Paid $100 for m54 internals and cam. Rings and bearings are relatively cheap. I always have a couple m5- spare heads lying around. I think the block work was $175. Pistons cost a penny. The ms3 is a bit pricey, but it's the piece that completes the puzzle I guess. Fi Pipeing is cheap.
    Im not exactly the bolt on guy either. I enjoy fabricating and making my own stuff for the most part. Which is cheaper sometimes than buying someone else's fabricated parts.

My Cars
    BMW 325i 1986 E30
    Not really. I work at a junk yard and my machinist happens to love odd ball stuff. I picked 2 freshly rebuilt chargers off a couple of buicks. Paid $100 for m54 internals and cam. Rings and bearings are relatively cheap. I always have a couple m5- spare heads lying around. I think the block work was $175. Pistons cost a penny. The ms3 is a bit pricey, but it's the piece that completes the puzzle I guess. Fi Pipeing is cheap.
    Im not exactly the bolt on guy either. I enjoy fabricating and making my own stuff for the most part. Which is cheaper sometimes than buying someone else's fabricated parts.
    That sound awesome, but forged pistons don't get too cheap or I don't know where to look. The ms3 I know it's mandatory.

The rotating assembly I haven't found it for less than 400

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The MS3 is not mandatory. The stock ECU can be tuned.

Most people won’t find M54 3.0 internals for $100. And I doubt spyder, who can find them at that price because he works in a junkyard, will sell them to you for $100.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    What he said. .. I might sell them for $200.. If you were local. I am planning on getting "kits together" soon for possibly whole m50 or m52 engine assemblies. But I might have a couple already for sale if this guy gets back to me about a m70 to zf trans adapter plate.