RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2008 X3 Engine stall/misfire/lean after shampoo

My Cars
    x3

2008 X3 Engine stall/misfire/lean after shampoo

After an engine shampoo (with hose not pressure washer) car start and idle rough (rpm up/down).
    If revving gently- rpm goes up and no issues.
    Deceleration to a stop nearly causes a stall and sometimes does stall.
    Codes found- various banks misfire, bank 1/2 lean.

Tried: drying out all coils and numerous electrical connectors under hood. Checked and cleaned MAF with MAF spray.
    Used electrical contact cleaner to for connections. Checked cabin air filter area- dry.
    I'm a backyard mechanic and have engine shampooed various cars in many years and never had such an issue.
    Please help.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    BMWs are extremely good about having the engine washed - I do this without any hesitation to a BMW motor (and I NEVER wash a VW, Audi, or Volvo engine!)

Therefore, I'd be 90% certain that you've accidentally caused a fairly large intake air leak. If a visual inspection does not imediately reveal the culprit, I highly recommend that you take the car to a good Euro shop, and have the intake/ccv system smoke tested.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    x3
    Thanks, I'm about to try running the car with maf unplugged, perhaps an o2 sensor as well?

- - - Updated - - -

Update:
    I disconnected the MAF sensor and the car runs fine - aside from slightly jerky downshifts.... need I still check for air leaks at the runner/intake?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Well of course...what you've done is confirmed that the air/fuel mixture is wrong, when in closed loop. And, in a BMW, 85-90% of the time, that means an intake system leak. A smoke test with a pro smoke machine is the only reliable test; spraying flammables is about 20% effective....and dangerous.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    x3
    Thanks again!