Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: E36 Touring - OEM+ build

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    I ran into the same problem when doing the motor mounts on my 328i. I had to take the entire motor mount arm off of the motor and drill out the stud. I liberally applied anti-seize to all metal-metal contact points upon reinstallation so nothing like that will ever happen again.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by la36bmw View Post
    great build! you really take care of the little details and it looks like you're from a car family, very lucky haha. Those throwing stars are amazing
    Thanks dude! Yeah, I'm trying my best to restore the entire car. It'll be a long process, but one that I want to do. Coming from a car family really does help!

Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    wish we had those here.. love me a touring
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
    I ran into the same problem when doing the motor mounts on my 328i. I had to take the entire motor mount arm off of the motor and drill out the stud. I liberally applied anti-seize to all metal-metal contact points upon reinstallation so nothing like that will ever happen again.
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I really hope I don't have the same problem!

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Didn't get as much as I wanted to do on the car this weekend, pretty bummed because I took today off to smash through some jobs, but the weather has been pretty bad all weekend! I didn't want to take the car out the garage, get it soaking wet and then have to put the cover back on etc.

Fitted the new ABS sensors on the rear, which I was hoping cure my dash warning lights, but it didn't. So I'm going to swap the relays out and see if that fixes it.

Need to replace these relays.

Also got some new parts from BMW. New M3 front lip, number plate blank and a host of nuts and bolts to replace the rusty stuff. I've been given a quote to have the front lip painted, so I might do that when I get paid.

So today, again I didn't get much done at all. But I decided to have a play around with the Style 32's, since the tyres are the same as the ones I want to use. So I chucked some slip on spacers to create the offset of the Throwing Stars. This is how they will fit without any spacers on the Throwing Stars.

Pretty happy with how they could potentially fit! I need to set the suspension up still, so it will come down another good few cm's, I'll probably end up putting a 5mm spacer on there or something.

My Cars
    97 Mtech 318ti
    I've never seen that type of wiper bottle.. I wonder if I can mate that in my US spec e36. Anymore info on that?

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroHB View Post
    I've never seen that type of wiper bottle.. I wonder if I can mate that in my US spec e36. Anymore info on that?
    Should be easy enough. What do you want to know?

So I set about doing another job that I'd been putting off for a while, which was wiring and plumbing in the relocated washer bottle.

Turns out you don't actually need to do any wiring, just extend the piping a little. Quick trip to the auto parts place and I had the length I needed with a little connector.

I only really took one picture of the car, because tbh, there wasn't much worth taking a picture of. I did a general nut/bolt check of the front, replaced some rusty 7mm bolts with new 8mm ones from BMW.

My Cars
    97 Mtech 318ti
    What part number did you install for the washer bottle. that looks cool since the bottle in my 318ti compact is kind of in a weird spot. Want to do something cool and hide the bottle.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Yesterday I cracked on with a little job I'd been putting off for long enough, which was to wire in some US Style running lights. Wiring is always something that I never bothered with, as I'd rather give my problem to someone that knows what they are doing!

But I figured Id give it a shot anyway. First thing was to solder a length of wire on to my bulb holder. I've never actually soldered before, so it took me a while to figure out the neatest way of doing things. But I managed.

With them wired up, I connected them to the sidelights.

And to my surprise, they actually work! Chuffed.

I noticed the car was a little dusty from being in and out the garage, so I got some of this stuff to give it a wipe down. Came out great and smells bloody lovely!

Then I set about doing some other little tasks like checking the rear end bolts, doing a seat bolt and I also changed the bottom engine mount bolts to stainless ones.

I went on to finish under-sealing and painting the rear end. Gave the diff and trailing arms a wee lick of paint as a temporary measure until I can source and rebuild a new rear subframe. Look a lot better!

Ordered some paint for my brake calipers, so I'll take the carriers off and have them blasted when it arrives. Another small fix until I can afford/need to replace all the brakes with new Brembo stuff.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    A quick trip to the garage tonight and I got the caliper carries off to get them blasted, ready for painting.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    For being at work, I had a relatively decent days work on the car.

I picked my front lip up during my lunch break, then my front tyres arrived and I also got my front caliper carriers blasted.

I went to the garage after work to fit the lip. Fits great, still not 100% sure the colour coding was the correct thing to do, but I've got a feeling it's going to look a lot better when it's lowered and all the Style 21's.

The carriers came out looking brand new. I'm still waiting for my paint to arrive, so I sprayed them with some satin black, just to stop the corrosion.

And my front tyres. Originally I was going to go with some Hankooks because they had a really cool looking tread pattern and were very good, but heard they didn't stretch that well. Ended up with some Falkens, which reviewed being the same, if not slightly better than the Hankooks.

My Cars
    95' euro m3 cosmos coupe
    Very jealous, North America never got these tourings at all. Luckily us Canadians can import one.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Another decent weekend on the Touring!

I had my buddy come over and diagnose the faults with the car. My ABS problem turned out to be something very simple, my rear left ABS sensor wasn't quite fitted properly, so that's sorted now. My airbag light is caused by a faulty clock spring on the slip ring, again, something I knew, but now I know for certain.

I got my carries painted and fitted them up to the car. No pics of that unfortunately, but I'm sure you've all seen silver brakes before!

Another job done was re-fitting the washer bottle in the bumper (I had to take it out to fit the lip) Took the opportunity to take a few more photographs of the lip from different angles. I'm really liking it!

Another thing I'm really stoked about fixing is my rear bumper corner. It used to stick out a good 10-15mm and generally looked shit. I've had this problem since I fitted it and thought I was destined for a new bumper, but a small adjustment made a massive difference!

Before

And after

I've ordered some Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour for the Throwing Stars as I've read it's one of the best. I'll see if I have time to do that this week.

The car is now pretty much ready for it's MOT. Everything bar the handbrake is working, so again, another job for this week. I've ordered some new handbrake shoes and fitting kit.

But as of right now, I'm super happy, I can finally see the end!

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Today I fitted some new Mintex handbrake shoes and fittings. But of a fiddly job, I actually almost took my eye out with some pliers, leaving a nice cut just above my eye. Those of you that have me on Facebook can see that haha.

My worst fear doing this job was having the little spring and allen bolt that fits the shoe, pull through the backing plate. It's happened on my red Touring and it is a pain in the arse. However, that didn't happen and I got them fitted!

Old stuff off

And new stuff on!

I adjusted it up and I finally have a working handbrake, at last! And with that done, I have no more jobs left for the MOT..unless he finds something I've missed. Very quiet at work for the next two weeks, so might see about getting it done soon!

Also I replaced the bulbs in my OBC during the week, which was super easy and much cheaper than buying a new display, which is what I was going to do. I still need to get a temp sensor for the M Sport brake ducts, which is why it reads -37

Hit the rear floor with some etch primer. Going to paint it silver then cover it with some carpet, just so it doesn't look too bad.

And that's it! My next update might see the car with an MOT, we'll see.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Today I dropped my front Throwing Stars off to have the tyres fitted and balanced. I took them to VooDoo Motorsport, just outside Bovingdon as a lot of my friends have used him and have been told he is very good.

They were right. Very, very happy to have the tyres fitted. My flush fit valves caused a little bit of a headache, but he took is time and sorted them out for me. He gave me some good advice on polishing the wheels back up to scratch.

I'm super, super happy with how they look. Just need the rears done now!

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Those wheels look great, just curious as to why you kept the drum rotors instead of doing the rear rotor/ caliper setup? I didn't even know the wagons came with drums, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthbeam View Post
    Those wheels look great, just curious as to why you kept the drum rotors instead of doing the rear rotor/ caliper setup? I didn't even know the wagons came with drums, thanks for sharing and keep up the good work
    That's what a rear handbrake on an E36 looks like, it uses shoes behind the disc to stop it rotating. Fairly common set up

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Ahh sorry, about that, just noticed I no longer have a handbrake setup so I tend to forget what it looks like
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    03 530i, 99 Silverado
    This thread is nice. Those throwing stars are too clean.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthbeam View Post
    Ahh sorry, about that, just noticed I no longer have a handbrake setup so I tend to forget what it looks like
    No worries dude!

Quote Originally Posted by RRH View Post
    This thread is nice. Those throwing stars are too clean.
    Thanks buddy. Lets hope I can keep them that way! I've just got some Mothers Metal Polish to see if I can get them any better!

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    I got the Touring back together yesterday. So the rear brakes are on now and I've done a nut and bolt check, ready for the MOT this Thursday! Didn't take many pics as i've ran out of space on my phone.

Rear carriers in primer. These have now been painted Titan silver, to match the car.

I couldn't resist trying on a wheel. Going to look great I think!

The wheels have now been polished back up and coated with Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Had a little play around with the car at the weekend.

I've been trying to set the suspension up so that just before my wheel hits the arch, it hit's a bumpstop. But I failed at doing that and just confused myself some more. So I just took some photos

It was such a nice day and I really wanted to drive the car, properly, for the first time in 2 years. So I put the rest of the Style 32's on, adjusted the height a little and went for a drive.

SO GOOD! I've missed this car a lot. I took it over to my friends house and got some really nice comments, especially from his mum and dad haha.

He snapped this great picture of the Touring, I'm really pleased with how it looks so far.

Unfortunately all my excitement was cut short a little. Upon leaving my buddies house the Touring started to idle horribly. I checked the oil whilst I was stopped to make sure it was ok and just upon leaving it just didn't want to idle smoothly. Very rough and lumpy, almost as if it wasn't running on all 6 cylinders. The car drives fine, just idle and low rpm are a bit rough.

Pretty upset as I just wanted to use the car this week to get some miles on the coilovers. I've had a few different suggestions as to what it could be, but I'm going to try a crankshaft position sensor first.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Some pics of the Touring from my camera.

Took the car out for a small run last night and the idle issue has gotten a little better. I've got a crankshaft sensor from Ben at Hack Engineering, so I might as well replace it and see if that helps.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    I'll leave these here for now. Still a lot of adjusting needing to be done!

My Cars
    F30 '14 328i Msport
    The new shots are incredible! Great work!

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Small update on the Touring -

I finally have all the wheels on. Elie at Voodoo Motorsport fitted my new tyres and I popped them on last week.

Recently a lot of service parts have shown up too. I'm going up to Scotland in July for almost two weeks, so I'm going to service everything - Plugs, Filters, Oils, the lot as well as adding an M50 manifold and throttle body, new rocker cover gasket and some 328 pink injectors if I can find them. It should hopefully run as sweet as a nut after that.

I managed to score a very good deal on some leather door cards today and some other little pieces from the car that were missing. The door cards are in great condition, just a little wear on the drivers side, but hopefully I can fix that.

Included was an almost complete and new looking tool kit and pouch.

And I picked up this missing piece of boot trim. However, it annoyingly doesn't fit as my battery is too big! DOH!

I took the car for a little run on Friday to Homegrown in Beaconsfield. I arrived a little late because I totally forgot it was on.

And then yesterday evening I took it to the track and gave it a wash.

My Cars
    1982 323i 2003 325it
    It was an absolute pleasure reading through your thread. your car is gorgeous, and you've done some amazing work!
    Past, Present, and Future

1974 BMW 2002tii (RIP)
    1995 BMW 325is w/ FULL S50 swap, track prepped (SOLD)
    1988 BMW 325ix Zinno/Black (RIP)
    1988 BMW 325ix Alpine/Black (Sold)
    1988 BMW 535is Alpine/Pacific Blue (Going Away...)
    1982 BMW 323i (Current Project/Paper Weight)
    2003 BMW 325i Sport Touring (Daily Driver)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast