Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: E36 Touring - OEM+ build

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Picked up some coilovers for the daily for mega cheap. Fitting them at the weekend

Rough photoshop of how she might look in a couple of weeks.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    I went home last wednesday for a few days. Which meant I was finally able to fit the coilovers to the red Touring I wanted to fit them last sunday, but ran into troubles with the wheels I borrowed, so I only managed to fit the rears. But they're all on now. Looks a little better.

Front still needs to come down quite a bit though. But I'll sort that this week.

Also fitted US Style running lights after the help from a friend. Looks quite cool! Wing damage will be fixed soon as well.

My Cars
    '95 530it/5spd
    So much awesomeness! Saw this on stanceworks a year or two back. Your tourings are insane man, and with the throwing stars on the silver e36t it'll look stunner.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinghorn View Post
    So much awesomeness! Saw this on stanceworks a year or two back. Your tourings are insane man, and with the throwing stars on the silver e36t it'll look stunner.
    Thanks dude. It's payday tomorrow, so I'll be buying some goodies for the silver Touring

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    I don't have much of an update, but i've been collecting a few parts. The car is still stored in my friends barn.

Couple parts I've collected so far -

Individual handles. Been looking into getting some custom ones made

Extended leather handbrake grip and gator

And my favourite piece so far - Extended leather armrest and console. I've been looking for months, finally got my hands on one for a decent price. Came with US Spec cupholders too. (Thanks Lee!)

Also got an OEM fire extinguisher and mounting bracket.

As I said, the car is currently still in my friends barn back in Scotland, I'll be going back up around May to do some body work and then I'll be hopefully bring in down to Hemel/London as I've now got a mate with a unit.

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    Loving the duo, you've done an awesome job building them up. I'm curious what direction you take your red touring in, it being the daily and all, I imagine you won't go too crazy with it? Then again, OEM+ is always a good route
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Compactive View Post
    Loving the duo, you've done an awesome job building them up. I'm curious what direction you take your red touring in, it being the daily and all, I imagine you won't go too crazy with it? Then again, OEM+ is always a good route
    Daily will just be staying as is. I have no real desire to do any more mods to it, it's a fun little car and I want to keep it that way haha. It might get the US Spec cupholders in it, purely because they're convenient

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    So I'll start with some good news. I came home to Scotland for a week to work on the car.

First thing to do was to get the car from where it had been stored for the last 7 months. I headed to my friends barn and there she was, under her cover, just where I left her. I whipped the cover off to find her just how I remember, paint like glass and smells of leather. The battery was dead, but a quick jump and she fired right up.

My excitement was a little short lived as the power steering didn't want to work all that great, so I'll need to address that. I took it easy on the way home.

First thing to sort was the extended leather console. Quite tricky if you don't know where the bolts are, but I managed it in the end. It looks brilliant, I've got the non-smokers cubby hole in there now and will be getting the rubber mat to cover where someone has unfortunately drilled some holes into it.

Next thing to do was to take it up to my friends body shop to have the front bumper, nose cone, wings and bonnet resprayed with shaved nozzle jets and side indicators. As well as having the rear arches done again and full undearseal/waxoyl.

So everything was going fine, I got the front end stripped.

I then took the side skirts off to gain access to the front wings. I was then greeted with a familiar, but extremely surprising site. Rust. A lot of it.

Needless to say, I am BUMMED. Keep in mind that I had this repaired, professionally, two years a go when the car was first painted. So to have it come back and even worse this time, is a real kick in the balls.

I decided not to fuck around anymore and bought two new complete sills. I'm really annoyed as I only took enough time off work to do the bodywork, so this is such a set back, but at least the car will be 100% solid and not patched. That's the plan anyway.

On a brighter note, Performance BMW have featured some of my photos in this months Magazine.

My Dad took a few days off to help me with the car. After cutting the sills off, we learned the full extent of the rust!

It was a lot worse than we all expected. Quite frankly, it was a mess. A lot of people would have probably considered re-shelling or scrapping the car even, but that wasn't an option, I love this car.

So we cut all of the crappy metal and cleaned up all the surface/loose rust with wire brushes and grinders. Treated the bare metal with a rust converter and then painted it in a few coats of industrial primer type stuff and then with a zinc based, weld through primer.

A few hours later and the new sill was ready to be welded.

I'm so thankful for my Dad's welding abilities, it's not the first time he's saved my cars

And fast forward a few hours later, the new sill was on and she was back on the ground.

Tomorrow we are doing the other side and starting on the rust prevention. I'm not kidding when I say I'm filling each sill with a tin of waxoyl, I might even do two each!

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    Great updates! Only 5 more long years until it's easy to import a touring to the States. :'(

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by uberSteuer View Post
    Great updates! Only 5 more long years until it's easy to import a touring to the States. :'(
    That's if they haven't rotted away haha

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Got the drivers side sill all welded up today and primed. Happy to know the car is completely solid. Pretty stoked.

Made a start on shaving the side repeaters too.

Light skim of filler and these should be good. Tomorrow I'm relocating and shaving the washer jets as well as getting a whole host of other stuff done for primer on monday

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    I'm back in London now, unfortunately the car wasn't finished before I left. But I gave my painter a nice list of things to be done haha.

I left having finished the wings and bonnet. They should be in primer by now.

I found some foglight blanks in my room too, so I thought I'd get them painted.

The noticed a knock from the red Touring which turned out to be a ball joint. My Dad replaced the arm and track rod whilst I was at the garage working on the silver Touring.

Loaded the Touring up and drove to London, 7 hours without stopping

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    still jealous!

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    My father managed to get my Touring back to the house after all the paint work was completed. I've only seen pics of it so far, but I absolutely love it!

However it is costing me a hell of a lot more than I initially budgeted for, like a hell of a lot more. So the next month or two are going to be pretty slow again until I can get back on my feet.

I did managed to snag some more extended leather parts for the interior though! Thanks to Joey for the heads up on those! Just have to dye them black.

The car still needs to be built back up, which I'm letting my Dad do a little bit here and there for me. There's a few trim bits needing replacing, so I'm going to be working on getting those done before anything else. The skirts need to go back on too. My Dad also said the car drove like a bag of shit - we're thinking that the coilover has seized into the top hat, restricting the steering. It certainly felt like that when I last drove it.

But anyway, here's some pics that my brother sent me!

My friend and I also decided to swap wheels for a week. Not sure if I like them yet or not

My Cars
    97 BMW 328i
    I would love to have an e36 touring. Looks like you have done a ton of work to it, looks great!

1985 BMW 635csi || Auto || 200k || 15" Borbet || Delphin

My Cars
    z3
    I like the 32's on the touring more, but think the sedan can pull off the other wheels if you like em.

Love the build so far, like many others this is only fueling my desire to get an E36 touring someday

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    What skirts/rear lip are on that sedan?
    |1998 Arctic Silver M3/4/5|
    |Forged/Built S52|
    |Bilstein Pss9|
    |Fikse FM10 17x10r 17x8.5f|

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis318 View Post
    I would love to have an e36 touring. Looks like you have done a ton of work to it, looks great!
    Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I like the 32's on the touring more, but think the sedan can pull off the other wheels if you like em.

Love the build so far, like many others this is only fueling my desire to get an E36 touring someday
    Yeah, I wasn't really feeling them to be honest. Back on the Style 32's with 205/40's.

Quote Originally Posted by jiunuih View Post
    That is some great progress. though I can't say I'm a fan of going that low with that much poke, it looks very clean and it looks like you are doing some great work so much respect nonetheless. Keep up the good work
    Thanks dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex24 View Post
    What skirts/rear lip are on that sedan?
    It's a BN Sports kit from an R33 just kind of thrown on there

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    I had a great weekend back home. Managed to get a lot of jobs done to both Tourings with the help of my Dad.

I finally got to see the how the Silver Touring looked after being away at paint. For the most part, I'm super pleased with it. The front end looks great! However, my painter has let me down a little, but that's a story for another day. For the most part, it looks great.

The first job I did was fitting up the bumper properly. I smacked it coming out of someones drive last year which caused a few cracks and dislodged the grill. That's all fixed now. I had some foglight blanks painted as well.

I managed to re-use most of the grill fasteners, I need a few more. Anyone know the part number?

I'm also missing the temperature sensor for the brake duct, so I'll need to get one of those.

The next job was to swap back to standard top mounts. The adjustable top mounts I had have been nothing but bad luck since I fitted them. We were hoping this would solve my steering issue - The steering would go very light then tight, then very light again. Almost as if it was binding.

We thought we found the problem with the top mount being torn to pieces. Fairly sure this was because they weren't spaced properly. Second photo is how they are supposed to look.

Got the standard top mounts back on and chucked them on the car, hoping the issue would be solved. I really wanted to drive it!

But, unfortunately it didn't work. The steering was still crap. At this point we assumed it was the rack, I posted on Facebook to see if anyone had one and my buddy Chris told me to check the UJ's on the column as his had done a similar thing. A few hours later, we had found the problem. My top UJ had seized, only allowing it to turn one way, hence the light and tight steering.

A quick internet search showed a few for sale. I messaged the seller to make sure the UJ's were free and in good condition, gets delivered on Wednesday.

Now that the steering issue had been diagnosed, it meant I could crack on with other jobs with relative piece of mind. Next was the sideskirts. I ordered new grommets and fittings from BMW and set about filling all the holes with waxyol before fitting.

I then went about waxoyling all of the inside of the wings where they bolt to the front panel, I had my painter use all new BMW fittings here too. The front end isn't really aligned properly, so that's another job I'll have to do. I fitted the splash guards with all new fittings too. I really could used getting new splash guards or restoring these ones, they're getting a bit tatty.

I called it a day on Saturday, ate some food with my family and caught up with them.

I went to a show called Cleanfest on Sunday, put on by the guys at Keepitclean. Great show, lots of high quality cars. Weather wasn't too bad this year either! I went with my buddies in their Civic's. The Midori Green Civic won best static, which was really cool.

Whilst I was at the show, my dad replaced a brake line. My eventual plan for the brakes is to overhaul them with braided lines, new discs, pads and backplates. Plenty life in these ones yet though.

I spent the rest of my time at home on Monday cleaning the car and the interior. It was pretty filthy with polish and dust everywhere. It's no where near clean, but it's a start.

It's a bit unfortunate that my extended leather console has some holes in it. I can't remember if there is, but is there a rubber mat you can get for in here?

Really need to pick up some leather door cards.

And now onto the outside!

And my Mum took this picture of me next to both Tourings before I left for London yesterday. (Thanks mum!)

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Part number for those clip things is 64111364257

My Cars
    E36, E36, E82
    Great progress, still love this thread and can't wait to get a touring stateside.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Nice work man, extended leather bits are a nice touch!

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
    Part number for those clip things is 64111364257
    Thanks dude.

Quote Originally Posted by uberSteuer View Post
    Great progress, still love this thread and can't wait to get a touring stateside.
    Thanks man. It's only gonna get better as I do more things!

Quote Originally Posted by Apex24 View Post
    Nice work man, extended leather bits are a nice touch!
    Yeah, the extended leather is great. Makes everything so much nicer. I have the glovebox and kickpanel still to fit.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Long overdue update on this, so bare with me!

I've wanted to write this for a long time now, but I finally have the silver Touring in London!

I drove it down on Monday and after having sat for so long, I expected it to break down, but it drove faultlessly all the way down and it didn't even use much more fuel than my 318 Touring.

The car still has it's faults though, which is fine, it gives me something to do during the winter. My steering isn't quite right yet, its a hell of a lot better, but it's still binding. So I'm going to get another new, steering column UJ. My engine mount is broken, but that's no biggie - I can sort that. Aaaand my handbrake doesn't work very well. I'm planning on getting new trailing arms and rebuilding them with new bushes, backplates, wheel bearings, handbrake shoes etc - Again, another job to do over winter.

BUT IT'S SO GOOD TO DRIVE IT.

I didn't take as may pics as I probably should have, I was too busy working on it. I gave it a super good detail, changed the engine oil, fitted the hidden washer jets, sorted the brakes and various other little bits and pieces.

You can barely make out the washer jets, which is what I wanted.

Taped up the front for the drive to London

My mum always likes to grab a pic of me before I leave. Typical Scottish weather this time!

And this is her, in her new home in London. Needs a quick wash before I can stick the cover over her, but I'll do that at the weekend. I'm going to be cracking on with the mechanical jobs first - engine mounts, steering etc then it will be onto the stuff that makes her look pretty

Got some good little jobs done over the weekend. Re-alinged my front lights and front panel. Fit is much better, I think I could get it a little better though. Swapped to clear front indicators too.

Before. Main noticeable difference is the bumper.

After.

Today I got the car up on jackstands and undersealed my rear arches. They look really good now, I'm happy with them. My main goal is prolonging the life of the car.

Touring Team.

Brought one of the Stars into the sun, you can just about make out the microflake in them.

Spent a little time on the Touring this evening, working my way through the small jobs.

Started to underseal my passenger front arch. Removed the arch liner to give that a good clean and going over with Auto Finesse "Revive" it also allowed me to seal the whole arch. I attacked some loose rust with a wire brush and some rust converter - I'm leaving that to dry before I paint then underseal it.

I do apologise for the crap pictures, I don't have any light in my garage.

This is just the first coat, I like to do two or three. Which then leaves a good thick coat and when dry looks quite good.

Fired a little paint on the track rod end after a good scrub with a wire brush. All my suspension arms were replaced last year, however I would like to get them all powdercoated at some point. My ARB should be getting powdercoated fairly soon and I will refit that with some powerflex bushes from Hack Engineering.

My plan is to get new coilovers for the car, so I may end up having the hubs powdercoated and fitted with new backplates (which you can see are pretty bad) and wheel bearings. My brakes are fine, but as usual, I wouldn't mind upgrading them to Brembo discs and pads with braided lines.

Managed to get an hour or two at the garage tonight. First job was to get the anti roll bar off in preparation for powdercoating - which would also allow me to look at the mounting points for corrosion.

My aim is to have the underside and the mechanical as good as possible.

Arb off. I replaced my droplinks just before the car came off the road last year, so I don't have to worry about those. Arb will be refitted with new bushings next month.

Removing the Arb gave me a better look at the surface rust under the front chassis leg, thankfully only light surface rust. I scraped all the loose stuff off with a wirebrush and screw driver and applied some rust converter before I left. I'm going to let that dry before I apply some paint and underseal.

Hopefully get a few hours tomorrow to paint it all up.

I also took the red Touring to be Mot'd today, which it passed with flying colours. Very happy. I'm hoping to get a few bits sorted on this next year.

Good weekend on the Touring, undearneath is slowly but surely starting to take shape. It's a long process as I only get an hour or two to work on it at night. Most of the rust is gone, that is left is covered in rust converter waiting to be painted and undersealed. There's some hard to reach places which I'm going to do with the spray underseal instead.

Sorry for the crap pics, I have no light in my garage and its hard to get a good shot without using the flash. Paint is still wet which is why it looks so shiny. Might try and get some new hubs, they let the underside down so much.

Does anyone know if I am missing a piece of undertray? Bastien told me there was an extra part for the diesel engines?

Got some bits back from the powdercoaters. Turned out pretty nice! Just need to get some new ARB bushings and they'll go back on.

The undersealing is also completely finished on the front end and it looks so good. I'm really happy with how it has turned out. Now just to do the rest!

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    I'm sure you're all sick of looking at the underside of my car by now, but it's pretty much finished. Well the front anyway. Just need some new ARB bushings.

You can just about make out the freshly powdercoated brace in few of them.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast