Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: E36 Touring - OEM+ build

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    how does the trans fair with this raise?
    Haven't heard any horror stories thus far from others with the same engine raise. However, for piece of mind I am thinking of lifting mine just a few mm. I need to replace the gearbox mounts anyway, so I figure why not.

The engine and gearbox are both raised slightly on my Red Touring and I have experienced no issues in the last year or so.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Finished up on the engine raisers today. Proper faff with having to move the rack and subframe around, but they're in, so that's good. Nipped the fan off as well so I can take it into work and trim it down a few mm.

Some comparison images, to give you and idea of how much it lifts the engine.

The sump angles down slightly now at the back, so I am going to lift the gearbox a few mm as well. I've taken the mount off to be powdercoated and gearbox mounts are en route.

I also found a rear Aero bumper for the daily not far from where I stay. So I picked that up last night. It is new old stock, however unfortunately it has seen better days. The previous owner had just screwed it on, so it is very wavy in places and the exhaust opening needs some work. But my pal reckons he can sort it, so I'm putting all my faith in him haha.

Here is a picture I found in an extras brochure at Essen Motorshow at the weekend!

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    My Rennstall gearknob arrived the other day from Seattle, USA. I am properly stoked with it, I've wanted one of these forever and I finally pulled the trigger on their Black Friday deals. It will look really good against the new interior.

It snowed a lot today, so went out and minced about in the Touring. Got stuck a lot, but it was good fun!

My Cars
    4x4
    Amazing

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    So a few weeks a go I was refitting the viscous fan. It slipped off as I was about to tighten it up and put a hole in the radiator. Wonderful, right?

As I stood there watching litres of old coolant flow out, I figured I'd go ahead and replace a few bits of the cooling system, since I'm fairly sure it was all the original stuff and I want to take it abroad this year and we all know how much E36's love to overheat.

So, what I changed - The water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, aux belt tensioner, aux belt and the radiator with BMW coolant. I tried to use as many OEM like parts as I could, as a few parts are quite important.

Keen to get it all done today, I got the new rad out to swap some bits over and I ran into my first problem. Wrong rad! I think this is for non air con car. But I should be able to swap it tomorrow.

I pressed on however and got all the other parts fitted. New pump in with the aux tensioner as well as the thermostat, housing and belt.

I picked up some new wheels for the daily as well. £100 for some staggered 17's, I thought those days were long gone, but apparently not!

Now I can continue with my 9j square set up on the silver Touring

My Cars
    none
    honestly the cleanest e36 build ive seen by far. no details were skipped. looking forward to whats next.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by kylertae View Post
    honestly the cleanest e36 build ive seen by far. no details were skipped. looking forward to whats next.
    Thanks very much! Always looking to do better with it.

I've had a good wee parts haul recently.

I found someone local selling an original, un-used OEM fire extinguisher with it's holder. I got that the other night and a lucky find in a scrapyard today meant I also had the under seat bracket for it too.

I also found some rare, MHW clear lights. They arrived from Germany yesterday. I think they look pretty cool, I'm undecided if they are too "scene" or not and if they fit with the OEM+ theme of the car. I think I'll rock em for a little bit though.

The rear of the car is in the air because I am currently working on the rear brakes and camber arms. I think progress will be slow this month as I have to save a little money, however I would really like to have the car back driving next month for my birthday, but we shall see how I get on.

My Cars
    z3
    Love this build but you lost me at those tail lights...

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Love this build but you lost me at those tail lights...
    There not for everyone's taste, that's for sure. I'm not even sure they are to my taste. I have 3 sets of different lights I can use now, so I'm sure I'll come up with something I like!

My Cars
    2014 640i, 1990 325ic,
    First time seeing this thread. The cars are looking great and the turbines are awesome!

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by margas View Post
    First time seeing this thread. The cars are looking great and the turbines are awesome!
    Thanks dude. Yeah they definitely are my favorite.

Made some good progress on the Touring over the last week or so.

Finally the camber arms that I've had sitting for a year. Always put them off as people have said it's a right bastard of a job, but it honestly wasn't that hard. Worst part was removing the ARB to get to the diff bolts as the nuts were crusty as fuck. Glad that's off though, as the bushes are knackered. I've been reading that a 19mm M3 ARB is a nice OEM upgrade compared to the standard 15mm ARB, so I'll find one of those and pop it back on with new bushes.

The reason I had to drop the ARB was so I could get to the rear diff bolts. The inner bolt for the lower arm is pretty long, so when you loosen it, it it's the driveshaft and you can't get it out. Also, don't worry about the state of my subframe, it's horrible. But I think I'll be building one up over summer with new bushes etc

But, if you leaver the rear of the diff with a screwdriver or spanner, you gain enough wiggle room to get it out.

Easy enough to put back together! Last job today was to fit some new rear pads. These are a good performing, low dust pad, which should help keep the wheels a little cleaner. Any recommendations for a low dust front pad?

I also chucked the clear MHW's on the red car for a look. I need to get this car painted so badly.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    I stumbled upon a part I have been months, maybe years for. An OEM CD box for the glovebox. These have been NLA for a number of years now and are extremely difficult to find, however I found this one just up the road for a price I couldn't pass up.

Now to find the cupholders!

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Whilst everyone was enjoying themselves at Ultimate Dubs, I woke from a 14 sleep nursing an illness from hell, challenged with fitting heated seats to the daily. But with a cold Irn Bru to hand, I was game for giving it a shot.

I'd previously removed some of the rusty torx screws at the back of the fuse box, making this job 10000x easier. Once I'd got into the heart of the fuse box and removed the correct fuse carrier, it was time to push some wires through the bulkhead. I found the best way to do this is to tape the wire/connection to a wooden stirrer(?) and then push it through. Works a treat.

Pic of said Irn Bru and surrounding mess.

I'm waiting on a few parts to arrive for this, mainly some new rear BC dampers, and some parts to rebuild the rear anti roll bar. I ordered all new bolts and brackets for it from BMW, just waiting on the droplinks and then it will be back on the road. Hopefully for my birthday, but who knows.

Most of my day was spent routing wires. But when it was all done, I took the car back to the house and gave the interior a really good scrub. It came up looking really good. Step into my 90's interior.

I am also very excited that I will be running a wheel set up I've wanted to do for YEARS. A lovely, square set of 17x9 E31 M Systems with Turbine covers. I picked up my spare M Systems from the polisher this week.

I am fucking stoked.

Just have to add new badges and clean the Turbines up the best I can before I have them painted sometime this year.

My Cars
    1998 E36 Touring
    Heya! First of all, this (or these) build(s) finally pushed me towards registering an account (been lurking here unregistered for years though).

Just awesome to see your amazing progress with both the daily E36 and the silver one. Your red one looks so familiar that I must share the story of my own E36 (I'll try to keep it brief so I won't fill your thread with offtopic):

So all started when I picked up this red E36 touring with only 150k kilometres on it. It was super basic (but pretty mint inside out!) and with the 316 four banger with nothing fancy on the equipment list:

Of course this was all too good to be true and sadly I was involved in an accident after owning this thing for just two (2!) solid weeks. It was also my first & only accident so far and of course it had to happen when driving this car: https://i.imgur.com/kKzJqu9.jpg

At that time I didn't have a place to do a proper paint job (it was also already fall and the weather was getting pretty cold & rainy so painting outside wasn't an option) so I ended up plastidipping the new parts: https://i.imgur.com/SblPkuU.jpg And yeah, the contrast between the matte red plastidip and the original paint made me cringe every time I looked at it...

But the good stuff is that even after all the setbacks (or maybe because of them, who knows) I've decided to upgrade this car from being my basic daily driver to a dedicated project car. It's only fair to revive this thing to it's original beauty. Though probably not as OEM+ as your silver build (that is some serious dedication right there). But the interior is still in perfect & original shape and I'm currently installing adjustable coilovers, new rocker panels (always fun, right?) and some small rust repairs, new rotors and pads, new control arms & bushings, etc. This time I'm also going to do a proper paintjob for the car (same original Hellrot color, imho one of BMW's best reds). Here is the test fit of the new wheels btw (17x8,5 ET18): https://i.imgur.com/oNkD5bu.jpg Also there are plans in motion for a M52B28 blown stroker (I've been wanting to build one for ages but haven't had a proper candidate for an engine swap), but lets not get too carried away just yet...

All in all, really awesome thread, will be following daily! Greetings from snowy & cold Finland and sorry for blabbering so much offtopic. Maybe I'll make a thread for my own E36 after I get the build really up to speed?
    Last edited by Hexodus; 03-12-2018 at 07:55 AM.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexodus View Post
    Heya! First of all, this (or these) build(s) finally pushed me towards registering an account (been lurking here unregistered for years though).

Just awesome to see your amazing progress with both the daily E36 and the silver one. Your red one looks so familiar that I must share the story of my own E36 (I'll try to keep it brief so I won't fill your thread with offtopic):

So all started when I picked up this red E36 touring with only 150k kilometres on it. It was super basic (but pretty mint inside out!) and with the 316 four banger with nothing fancy on the equipment list:

Of course this was all too good to be true and sadly I was involved in an accident after owning this thing for just two (2!) solid weeks. It was also my first & only accident so far and of course it had to happen when driving this car: https://i.imgur.com/kKzJqu9.jpg

At that time I didn't have a place to do a proper paint job (it was also already fall and the weather was getting pretty cold & rainy so painting outside wasn't an option) so I ended up plastidipping the new parts: https://i.imgur.com/SblPkuU.jpg And yeah, the contrast between the matte red plastidip and the original paint made me cringe every time I looked at it...

But the good stuff is that even after all the setbacks (or maybe because of them, who knows) I've decided to upgrade this car from being my basic daily driver to a dedicated project car. It's only fair to revive this thing to it's original beauty. Though probably not as OEM+ as your silver build (that is some serious dedication right there). But the interior is still in perfect & original shape and I'm currently installing adjustable coilovers, new rocker panels (always fun, right?) and some small rust repairs, new rotors and pads, new control arms & bushings, etc. This time I'm also going to do a proper paintjob for the car (same original Hellrot color, imho one of BMW's best reds). Here is the test fit of the new wheels btw (17x8,5 ET18): https://i.imgur.com/oNkD5bu.jpg Also there are plans in motion for a M52B28 blown stroker (I've been wanting to build one for ages but haven't had a proper candidate for an engine swap), but lets not get too carried away just yet...

All in all, really awesome thread, will be following daily! Greetings from snowy & cold Finland and sorry for blabbering so much offtopic. Maybe I'll make a thread for my own E36 after I get the build really up to speed?
    Hey man! Thanks for commenting!

Great to hear from another Touring owner and you should definitely start your own thread, I always like seeing what others are doing to theirs and it sounds like you are off to a good start!

I managed to fit the rear anti roll bar today with the fresh hardware I got from BMW. Because the bolts were so rusty, I had to use an aggressive socket, which ripped all the nuts apart. I've re-used the old bushings for now. They didn't look too bad and I plan on building a subframe for this, so I didn't splash out on expensive Powerflex bushings just yet.

Made a start on cleaning up the turbines too. Came out good for a first initial clean, but still a lot of work to do. Looking forward to having these refurbished too.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    So I got another little goodie through the door the other day, from the Netherlands. I'm unsure if it's 100% OEM, but I am led to believe this is a BMW accident camera. It's cool as hell and I love it.

Whilst it was snowing outside, I figured I'd have a little bash at wrapping some lights with amber film. It was more difficult than I imagined and I'm not overly thrilled with the results, I think they need another layer of amber to match the OEM colour.

I also finished up cleaning my left hand Turbines with some Iron out from Auto finesse. Worked an absolute treat, so I think I'll go over all the covers/wheels with it too, just to remove any final contaminants.

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    It's my birthday in a few days, I'll be 25, so I decided to get something that would last me a while. I got a private plate for the Touring. Usually I'm not a big fan of private plates, but my friend Alex found this for me and I knew I had to get it!

I absolutely love it, I think it's going to look great on the car! It's as close to "M System" as I could get

My Cars
    e36 m3
    this is my fav thread on bfc

My Cars
    E36 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by romango3 View Post
    this is my fav thread on bfc
    Need one for yours man!

Whilst I was in Birmingham this weekend with Rollhard, I picked up my rear Aero bumper that a friend was storing for me, I also picked up a nice little E34 M5 brochure with some cool shots of the M Systems. There is another one I'm looking for, that properly explains the M Systems.

I fitted my plate today too. I can't wait to see it with the wheels back on. I just need to order tyres.

I've been given a deadline that is going to come up quickly if I don't get cracking, so I spent the last few hours of the day fitting my new rear dampers. They're a lot shorter than previous and valved for a lot higher spring rate, so it should ride pretty well! One of my current dampers is leaking and the weld is cracked, so just as well I've got some new ones.

Time to put some miles on them before I can get it all set up again!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Love this car!

Nice find on the CD-box holder.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1997 BMW M5
    wow great work,congrats
    Last edited by nagami; 05-23-2018 at 03:16 PM.

My Cars
    X5 328i 325iT Z3
    Sweet Touring!
    BMW fleet...
    2023 X5 4.0Xi
    2012 F650GS
    2011 328i
    2007 F650GS
    2006 F650GS
    2002 325iT
    1999 Z3
    1996 318ti (son's car)

Departed BMWs...2009 328i...2001 325i...1998 328is...1997 328is...1997 328Ti...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910