Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Window sliders replacement; DONE!

My Cars
    2001 Z3, 3.0 Roadster
    Did the window sliders this week end using this method, both doors. Went really well thanks to these instruction. Also did the spinning door locks while I had the panels off.

Sliders costs me $12 dollars plus I needed to steel two springs from ball point pens to repair the locks. Basically under $15 if you count the lithium grease I used.

Dealer wanted $1200 for the door locks plus another $200-$300 for the window slider repair.

$15 and 8 hours of my time saved me $3000.....unreal

My Cars
    Z3 25rstr 325ix X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by Garalf View Post
    Did the window sliders this week end using this method, both doors. Went really well thanks to these instruction. Also did the spinning door locks while I had the panels off.

Sliders costs me $12 dollars plus I needed to steel two springs from ball point pens to repair the locks. Basically under $15 if you count the lithium grease I used.

Dealer wanted $1200 for the door locks plus another $200-$300 for the window slider repair.

$15 and 8 hours of my time saved me $3000.....unreal

With the hourly rate they charge these days, it really worth some hours of our time for sure.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Thank You TurboBimmer!

I bookmarked this thread 2 months ago because I was planning to do some work on my doors and thought the addition of this window slider replacement would help my sometimes sluggish windows. I always dread working inside doors for some reason. I got the parts from ESC a week ago. This slider replacement and track cleaning went well, used some special Nyo-Gel grease for plastics and metal on the tracks. The windows operate super slick now.

What went even easier was the replacement of the outer door handle gaskets. Why did I not know this was so damn easy?
    I got the replacement seals shortly after buying the car nearly 2-years ago. I assumed I needed to get inside the doors to do it.

Next up...finally install that $200 piece of plastic I got for the console trim plate. Replacing light bulbs for the HVAC controls, AC switch and shift boot.
    Z3M Racer '99 M Roadster

My Cars
    Z3 25rstr 325ix X5 4.8is

My Cars
    2001 Z3
    Which direction do the pins face? I've got mine apart and can't remember which way they came out.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Klgeorge13 View Post
    Which direction do the pins face? I've got mine apart and can't remember which way they came out.
    You're talking about the slider clips right? In all reality I don't think it matters. I think mine were on so that the closed end was towards the middle of the door.
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    The way my sliders snapped into place, I doubt the clips are really needed. But side them in from either side and you should be fine.
    Z3M Racer '99 M Roadster

My Cars
    2001 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cfmistry View Post
    You're talking about the slider clips right? In all reality I don't think it matters. I think mine were on so that the closed end was towards the middle of the door.
    Didnt think it matters, but you never know. But that's the least of my problem if you noticed the thread I started.

My Cars
    2000 Z3M Roadster
    Got around to doing this today- thanks to this thread it was really easier than I thought it would be. After cleaning the tracks I went the silicone spray route vs lithium grease. While the door panels were off I removed the midrange speakers and installed my component tweeters in their place (disabled the factory tweets -and used the factory tweeter connections.)

Hardest part of this job was reinstalling the Mfing door panels- a total bitch getting the fixed window section to insert in the channel!

Thanks for the awesome DIY!

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Just did my passenger side today. I've had the panels off expecting to do this for a while. Started today and pulled the first "weather stripping off" and the light bulb went off and remember I didn't have to pull the whole glass on this side since I read this thread. I found using a smaller "furniture" (read cheap dorm room tool kit) claw hammer worked excellently for prying the pins from the slider.

Unfortunately I'm replacing my glass when I do these on my driver sider so it's not as helpful.

Also, Ben! This thread somehow was overlooked for the manifesto!

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9, Jetta TDI,
    Nice write up.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    Thanks for this write-up! Just got my driver's side door taken care of and the passenger side will be soon. Now I won't have to open the door to get the window to go down. Of course, even with a proper pry tool, I still broke one of the door panel clips. I also had to re-install the door card twice because I managed to get the little receiver for the torx screw behind mirror switch out of alignment and couldn't re-install the screw. I found that the clunking sound I was getting was that the 2 10mm bolts that hold window motor in place were a little loose and allowed motor to move when it met resistance.

My Creator C310 el cheapo OBD tool came in handy today because I removed the airbag and chose to not disconnect battery so I could move the window up and down. I of course got airbag light on the dash and was able to reset it in seconds!
    Last edited by dklay; 05-08-2015 at 02:57 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    Did my passenger door today and came up with 2 helpful hints with this process.
    1. To push the pin of actuator arm out of the back of the slider, I used one of the pry wedges in the kit below - just push it up from underneath and the pin will pop without fighting it -- it will also hold actuator arm out of the way while you clean and lube.

2. Use a piece of rope to clean the metal tracks the sliders run in - I sprayed the track with some brake cleaner and just pulled a piece of small diameter rope back and forth to clean all the gunk out. I then repeated with PB Lube.

Squirt some White Lithium grease and put in new sliders!

I picked up the wedge pry tools from PepBoys for about $10 for the set.

Another observation I had for those of you with hardtops on a roadster: I found that my hardtop was installed slightly off center (side to side). The hardtop weatherstripping was (very) tight to the passenger side door window glass, and there is about 1/8" air gap between drivers side window and weatherstrip. I haven't had a chance to reposition it, but it may explain why the passenger window was more problematic than the driver's side.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dklay; 05-11-2015 at 07:05 PM.

My Cars
    2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
    Necrobumping to thank you for this writeup!!!!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    I've looked at a lot of post and videos to get ready to do this replacement, but nobody shows pics or video of doing the clip removal for the small slider. Is it totally by brail or can you get to it as easy as the larger one?

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawix2 View Post
    I've looked at a lot of post and videos to get ready to do this replacement, but nobody shows pics or video of doing the clip removal for the small slider. Is it totally by brail or can you get to it as easy as the larger one?
    first post, it shows a picture of the retaining clip

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Sorry maybe my posting was not clear. I'm referring to the slider closest to the front. All the videos and pics show access to the rear slider and clip. My question is how difficult is it to get to the front smaller slider to remove the clip and slider. Is it all done by feel or can you find an access hole that lines up for the replacement of the front short slider.

My Cars
    Z3 25rstr 325ix X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawix2 View Post
    Sorry maybe my posting was not clear. I'm referring to the slider closest to the front. All the videos and pics show access to the rear slider and clip. My question is how difficult is it to get to the front smaller slider to remove the clip and slider. Is it all done by feel or can you find an access hole that lines up for the replacement of the front short slider.
    Both sliders are identical. There is an access hole, but not directly inline. There is some work that needs to be done by feeling with your hand, but it's not too bad.
    ______________2000 Z3__ __1988 325ix turbo______________

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Thanks Turbo. You answered my question, but I still didn't put it right. When I refer to shorter I meant track. I know the sliders themselves are the same size, but from what I've seen the front track is shorter

My Cars
    BMW Z3 2.8
    Hi TurboBimmer. I've only had my Z3 for a year and the sliders need changing, can you re-link the photos please? Cheers

My Cars
    04 ZHP - 99 M Coupe
    So....where exactly are people getting these for "$12"?

Sliders costs me $12 dollars
    There are 4 guides and I haven't seen any below 100 a piece.

51328399161 - Front Left
    51328399162 - Front Right
    51328397634 - Rear Right
    51328397633 - Rear Left

Only options I am seeing are for genuine BMW and the prices are getting up there!

EDIT: I am dense, people are just replacing the plastic SLIDER piece. Didn't realize that would cure the problem! Has anyone done this on a coupe before? Looks like the lifting mechanisms are different part numbers and the coupe variant does not appear to have a replaceable slider.

roadster: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...25#51321938884

coupe: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_3643

PN: 51321938884
    Last edited by Wrench Turner; 03-17-2018 at 02:56 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The coupe is identical to the Roadster. The coupe regulator is a Roadster regulator with the stop screw adjusted slightly differently and a sticker with the coupe part number placed over the stamped Roadster number.

Yes, coupes also wear the sliders. But they have the added feature of ripping the door regulator mounts apart. I have posted a complete description and repair thread somewhere around here. If you can grasp the window and move it up and down 1/2 inch or so, expect the worst when you open the door.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 03-17-2018 at 03:57 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 25rstr 325ix X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilko58 View Post
    Hi TurboBimmer. I've only had my Z3 for a year and the sliders need changing, can you re-link the photos please? Cheers
    Done!

I attached the 5 first pictures to the first post, but 5 is the limit of the forum, so here are the two last ones here:

screwdriver.jpg

slider.jpg
    ______________2000 Z3__ __1988 325ix turbo______________

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    Fantastic, Thank you! There is a youtube video showing the complete removal of the windows -which this avoids, of course this is much better.

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZGator View Post
    Fantastic, Thank you! There is a youtube video showing the complete removal of the windows -which this avoids, of course this is much better.
    Just did this myself this past weekend.

A lot easier than following the Bentley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast