Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Window sliders replacement; DONE!

My Cars
    BMW Z3 2.8
    Cheers mate. If it doesn't rain this weekend mine's going to get done (and then try and get into the boot - actuator arm has come off!).

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Just done mine didn't take very long at all. Thanks for the post.

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    great. Another project I did not know I needed to do, but now that I've read about it and noticed it on my car, I need to undertake it. Time to order parts...
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Just did the passenger side. Now it opens faster than the driver side. Thanks for the instructions!
    Last edited by doclip; 07-21-2018 at 06:46 PM.

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    Just completed both sides after reading this awesome write up... It was pretty easy and took less then an hour. I already had the door cards off and now 1 more thing off the list.

Old Sliders were shot...

20190316_170800.jpg

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8 5sp
    Just buttoning up my second door from doing the same. Did you notice that the new sliders were hard to spin on the posts to get them to line up with the tracks in the window?
    ‘98 Z3 2.8 roadster, Montrealblau/tan 5sp, M50 manifold, AFE intake, SuperSprint catback, Bilsteins, BAVAuto sport springs, Style 42 BBS

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    No, I used white lithium grease

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    For years, both windows were very slow to go down when it's cold outside. The driver's window (left) also made a thumping sound, after being halfway down and reversing it to go up. I knew I needed new sliders, but I was also concerned that the driver's window motor had torn away from its support inside the door. I finally have gotten around to pulling the door card to address the issue, and was pleasantly surprised to find the driver's motor was firmly attached. The nuts that hold the motor in place were tightened, just in case. Then, using the excellent instructions in this thread, the sliders were replaced. Here are the old sliders:

IMG_2855.jpg

The pair on the left are from the driver's door, while the pair on the right from the passenger side. The top two are from the rear, longer tracks. I am happy to report that the both windows now move smoothly and at a constant speed.

I have an extra set of sliders if anyone is interested, for the cost of shipping. PM me if interested.

This is a great thread--it should be in the FAQ!
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    Z3
    I did my driver's side two days ago as a preventative measure since I was pulling the glass anyways to replace the external door handle. I know you don't need to remove the glass to replace the sliders, but I used the easy access as an excuse to get at least one side done. Surprisingly easy for task that I had been dreading.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123