Thread: E36 Hardtop wiring information

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops

E36 Hardtop wiring information

Hello,
    I'm posting this information to assist others who have have a hardtop and do not have nor want to pay $$$ for the electrical connectors. I am basing this information on a 99 E36 however it appears that the wiring colors where the same in earlier models. While there are other great posts about how to correct problems with the stock hardtop harness, none really addressed what each wire actually accomplished or how to bypass.

There are two factory wiring plugs located behind the rear seat cushion that operate the electrical functions in the hardtop.

Driver's side the plug has two wires
    Brown = ground (-)
    Black/blue = link to the convertible top control module.

Passenger side plug has two wires
    Black = hardtop electric defrost (+)
    Violet/white = hardtop courtesy lights (+)

Matching wiring in the hardtop is behind the interior side panels which can be popped off.
    I accessed this area and connected a home made extension harness to the plugs behind the rear seat cushion. I made the connectors accessible at the lock area for quicker hardtop installation/removal. You should follow wire routing information listed in the hardtop installation instructors that can be found online.

When the electrical connectors are connected:
    Brown wire acts as the ground for the hardtop, rear defrost, courtesy lights and to electrically disengage operation of the convertible top.
    Black/blue wire is now grounded (by the brown wire) disengaging the electrical operation of the convertible top.
    Black = hardtop defrost will only activate when both plugs noted above are connected
    Violet/white = hardtop courtesy lights will only activate when both plugs noted above are connected.

When connections are finalized the convertible top switch will no longer operate thus protecting the motors, the hardtop courtesy lights will operate and the stock rear convertible defrost will not operate.
    Last edited by 66 6; 10-18-2014 at 03:50 AM.

My Cars
    323iC & Z3
    Excellent info ! Should be stickied.
    Schnelle Autos, schöne Frauen und deutsches Bier!

'99 323iC auto . . . . . . . . . . . . . '99 Z3 2.3 auto
    '02 530i SP manual (sold). . . . . '99 R1200C manual of course (sold)
    '08 X5 3.0si auto (sold) . . . . . . . '98 528i manual (sold)
    '94 318iC manual (sold) . . . . . . .'00 Z-3 manual (sold)
    '00 323Ci manual (given to daughter- she traded it for an '08 328 'vert)
    BMWCCA # 168243

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Bumping for new member information

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Any chance you took photos of the connectors you used for your harness? Did you cut off the factory plugs and use quick connects?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    No pictures but I did just spice into the existing hardtop wiring behind the side panels then put in a a couple of disconnects with the other end snaking down through to the rear back seat. The only problem is you have to lift and disconnect at the same time.......

FYI,
    I now have an extra wiring harness set, (no brackets) never even used. PM if interested.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    No pictures but I did just spice into the existing hardtop wiring behind the side panels then put in a a couple of disconnects with the other end snaking down through to the rear back seat. The only problem is you have to lift and disconnect at the same time.......

FYI,
    I now have an extra wiring harness set, (no brackets) never even used. PM if interested.

Wiring harness sold. No others available right now....

My Cars
    2006 530i 1994 325ic
    Thanks for the harness Greg,simple job as you described. Everything works.
    Night and day difference in with road noise and music. I don't think Linz will ever use the soft top again.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by backagain View Post
    Thanks for the harness Greg,simple job as you described. Everything works.
    Night and day difference in with road noise and music. I don't think Linz will ever use the soft top again.
    Your welcome. Glad it all worked out. I'm not out of harnesses but I'll keep looking for more.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Hi! I started a thread about this before seeing this one but I’m trying to do something similar on mine so I can at least have a rear defrost this winter lol
    My bushings are broken for the electrical contacts but the wires are still good. I’m just splicing them together for now but I’m not sure which wire is for what on the car driver side of the system. Both wires appear to be black and one is larger than the other. And I should only need to splice the ground wire since I don’t have a ragtop installed.