Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike's "Vanilla Gorilla" M3 V2.0 Build

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3

Mike's "Vanilla Gorilla" M3 V2.0 Build

Hey guys and gals,

I haven't been posting as much lately but I've been lingering at least. I recently graduated from UT with a structural engineering degree, and I'm in the process of starting a business with a few family members at the moment, so my M3 has taken a back seat for the past year or so and has just been sitting.

I am gearing up for the 2015 drift season with the build in progress now and would like to share a few changes with you guys here.

Blurry flame picture from the last event I drove in OK in Dec 2013 for a charity:

And a couple videos of my car for those of you who don't know me:

TWS 2012 around 500whp

Charity event Dec 2013 (last event the car ran) maxxed out GT35R at 28+ psi

And new progress:

Removed the dash to clean up a bunch of wiring behind there from the Painless harness and switch panel. I previously laid the chassis harness out in the car and had a bunch of extra length I didn't remove the first time that was just wrapped around the dash bar.

I decided that clutter was bothering me, and my stock dash was so mangled and cut up from trying to fit it with my window cage bars that I just went dashless. I usually hate that but I think I can pull it off much cleaner with just a little wiring box.

So I built a little tray and moved my fuse block and harness into the cowl area:

And moved my panel to the dash bar. I also cut up the hard motorsport electrical cutoff panel and mounted my painless switch panel to that to reduce even more clutter:

Reloomed the entire wiring harness front to rear all into one nice loom instead of wires on both sides of the car. I also decided to run it along the tunnel as passengers usually hit their feet on any wiring running along the floor near the cage door bars.

Some fuel system goodies - AI surge tank, Dual Bosch 044s, Rallyroad.net fuel rail, FuelLab FPR, and 115# OBD2 tuning package from RK-tunes!

Also a couple extra MXL sensor patch cables to log a few more things, including fuel pressure and EGT this time around.

MXL mounted up and the wiring is finished

Scrubbed the engine bay a ton moved the entire engine harness inside the cowl to get more space near cyl 6:

S50B32 euro pan and pickup acquired (Thanks Cody!) and a -10 AN turbo drain added today (Huge thanks to Antonio @ Calvo Motorsports for the beautiful fab)

New hardlines under the car:

Dropped the tank to change the OEM lines and venting setup:

M52 block freshly honed and torque plated and ready to go back in:

Same good 'ol S50 crank I've been using forever that was actually bent in 2013 and then straightened again

Cam trays and new Total seal rings for my re-used Wiseco pistons:

Wisecos and Eagles

And last but definitely not least, the mothership from AR Design

S366 .91 T4
    AR T4 twin scroll
    2x Tial MVS
    4" downpipe flare cut and 1 WG dump out the hood
    PTP T4 blanket
    DEI lava wrap

And the car on jack stands currently for the rest of the fuel system install:

I really wanted to wait until I had it on the dyno to post a build thread but I am getting pretty stoked and can't wait anymore

Stay tuned!

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    I remember your first time around when you dropped a valve... you have come a long way.
    Love the new set up, sub for dyno numbers and videos.
    Last edited by Matutino; 10-13-2014 at 04:14 PM.
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Good work. It's good to see a student of mine doing well. I'm proud of you
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    i like everything that is happening here. That turbo kit looks of the highest quality. Someone was not F....ing around when they put that together.

Well done and carry on
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    E39 540I/ E34 525I
    Can I haz ride plz

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5
    I think that dash looks awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing how the BW turbo compares to your previous setups.

My Cars
    95 M3
    That's the turbo I want to eventually get too. Looking hot, but don't you mean a 4" up pipe, out the hood?
    WOT

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0 VF SC'd
    Sweet Mother of Jeezus!!!

Mike, this car is an absolute pleasure to watch in the vids! Great driving too!

"You don't win silver....you lose gold."

My Cars
    Estoril Mcoupe
    Me Likey, Mikey

My Cars
    m3, gtr
    what are you doing about the premature wastegate failures?

My Cars
    93 e36 sedan
    That thing fits under the hood?

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by black bnr32 View Post
    what are you doing about the premature wastegate failures?
    I will be water cooling both wastegates this time around. I didn't previously, and needed to badly. Also since I had an oil consumption / ring problem, I was blowing a ton of oil and crap through the wastegates, which probably helped them sieze up. I am going to pull them apart and thoroughly clean them out, then water cool them in series using my old water line off the head. (The BW turbo is a journal and doesn't need water cooling)

Quote Originally Posted by e36blur View Post
    That thing fits under the hood?
    I haven't test fit anything yet. We still have to put together the engine and put it in with the manifold on.

Still a few weeks out as I need to find who has the best deal on an ATI damper for this thing. I really really need one since its always on the rev limiter. I've had the rubber separate on 3 stock dampers already in the course of a year. I also need to get my 4 clutch diff rebuild kit from BimmerDiffs for my 210 diff, as well as fix my leaking rear cover. It's nasty grimey back there. All it takes is a little fluid to stick to, and lots and lots of tire chunks flying around and you get a horrible mess:

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, I really appreciate it!

P.S. Does anyone know if the S50B32 or S54 oil pump gear is a slightly larger diameter than the E36 pumps or not? I am going euro S50B32 pump/pickup and compared the gears today with my old one, and the euro gear is slightly larger. Last time I installed the oil pump chain, it was already a very snug fit getting the gear on with a new chain. Will I need a different chain to run this setup?

Thanks!

Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 10-13-2014 at 10:25 PM.

My Cars
    m3, gtr
    so......

why you no s54?

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by black bnr32 View Post
    so......

why you no s54?
    That's ultimately the reason I can't justify turbo cams or high compression new pistons at this point. I want to just build an S54 for it. Maybe 2016

Mike

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    I sent my euro oil pump to VAC to have them retrofit the US oil pump sprocket. Ended up doing the entire pump upgrade but my understanding is you can't run the pump without swapping the sprocket. They can send you the parts you need since many do not trust VAC's handy work.

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    So much win. That manifold is a work of art, can't wait to see it. Earplugs will be needed lol!

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    none
    Mike I would switch to the .88 twin scroll housing

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Thanks for the update Mike. What's the best way to keep up with the Drift scene? I would love to see that beast in action once your back on track.

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Hands View Post
    Thanks for the update Mike. What's the best way to keep up with the Drift scene? I would love to see that beast in action once your back on track.
    If you're willing to come to Texas for events, I hope to run the full FD Texas Pro-Am against next year for an FD license. There are events in Houston and Ft. Worth mainly. I recommend coming to a Mineral Wells event (west of Ft. Worth) if you do want to make it out and get a ride. Those events are held at an abandoned airport, so we have tons of space to play and get to enter at well over 100 in 4th gear

Mike

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith1054 View Post
    I think that dash looks awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing how the BW turbo compares to your previous setups.
    +1 and also the pie cuts look awesome on the "exhaust"

My Cars
    mostly bmw
    Dude. Sweet.
    95 turbo 330ti. 01 maxpsi m3 e85. 01 m5. 01 m coupe. 03 AIM 996t e85. 06 x3 w/Meyers plow and winter daily. Prussian Motors is hiring!! prussianmotors.com/jobs
    Current e39t LS Turbo swap: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...LS-e39-Touring

My Cars
    98 m3 coupe, 92 318is
    One day I'll want my m3 to be amazing as yours
    Last edited by RobertE36; 10-15-2014 at 04:02 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I might do my dash like that. Where did you hide the stereo and AC?

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I might do my dash like that. Where did you hide the stereo and AC?
    The stereo has been redirected and piped directly through the exhaust system now for maximum sound clarity and experience in the car, while the AC has been redirected through much larger vents that blow in through the window openings

Mike

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Sort of how the M5 exhaust is done on 'opposite day'.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast