Thread: Brake Force Display - How to enable?

My Cars
    2006 E85 Z4 3.0si

Brake Force Display - How to enable?

I've done a fair bit of searching over the wonders of the internet and found a couple of articles on enabled BFD on an E85 Z4 however it all seems to be buried in greater coding discussion of which I understand nothing!

Was looking for a simplistic answer really as to what needs to be enabled setting wise on a 2006 E85 3.0si (UK) to activate the BFD. Preferably so I can just dump it on a dealer/indy and get them to sort it out.

In the past dealers have been pretty useless with doing codes and so I'd like to know what they need to do in advance

Many thanks in advance to anyone with insight into this.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Does yours not have this already? I thought all 2006+ Z4's had this from the factory.

My Cars
    Many
    I know all the US cars have it. On European cars, not really sure.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    2006 E85 Z4 3.0si
    Further reading appears that all 2004+ cars are fitted with it by default, where the fogs will come on during hard breaking.

I am looking for the code options to make the fogs come on and then the normal brake lights flash.

As seen in the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eJFiWE-BZs#t=52

Reading around seems to suggest there may be a 'stage 2' of BFD existing in coding accessible via NCS Expert however I need to get hold of someone local with a coder to further explore this.

Anybody else got one and know anything about it?

Edit ------------------------------------------------------------------

Other discussion I have been having about this: http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70641

List of NCS codes: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...isplay#p912403

On the list you can see (if you search for BFD) there are options around stage 2 and 3 of BFD being activated by deceleration or ABS, I expect this may be it. Might put it to my service guy at BMW and see if he knows anything about it.
    Last edited by Disca; 10-15-2014 at 06:14 AM.

My Cars
    Many
    What you want to do is not possable on US cars since we do not have some of the lighting that the Eurocars have, like rear fog lights and such.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    2006 E85 Z4 3.0si
    Mentioned at the top of the thread the car is a UK build Just wondered if anyone had the experience on here with it

My Cars
    z3
    The thread you linked seems to indicate it is standard. How have you verified that your car currently does not do this?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2006 E85 Z4 3.0si
    The thread i linked indicates the non flashing version is default. The videos linked suggest there is another stage that is not default. I need to find a safe place to test it fully

My Cars
    Many
    I know of one person that put a flasher module on this MC to do that......

Check about half way down the page: http://www.billswebspace.com/bmwmc.htm

Also, the car does not have to be moving to test this function..............
    Last edited by Shipkiller; 10-15-2014 at 06:51 PM.

My Cars
    2006 E85 Z4 3.0si
    BFD_MINDEST_GESCHW BRAKEFORCEDISPLAY MINIMUM SPEED
    wert_01 value 01
    wert_02 value 02

This code suggests otherwise for the car not moving.

The BFD is also activated by a deceleration of around 5 meters per second or more / abs. According to BMW. Other codes in the linked code page also support this theory.