Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: E30 Street/TimeAttack

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    Recently I've machined and bought some new stuff.

Current engine mounts were kind of temporary, never welded them complete, because turbo and supercharger locations were only approximate.
    I wanted a lower design to clear the turbo intake pipe.

The design, steel sleeve with delrin bushing:

This was something I could machine by myself

Obviously I had to mockup alternator location too before making intake/charge air piping, but the old one had seen it's best days. Instead of refurbishing and machining new pulleys for the old one I bought a new, smaller, modern alternator:

This spring and summer will probably be busy time with the project, more parts is already on the way

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Wow, your manifold is nice as that old alternator is ugly.

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    LOL, thanks!

Some new bits acquired, Toyota MR2 electric power steering pump. Remain to be seen if it's even working, connectors had damaged badly during shipping...

Today's job was to make another front fender, it was easy one, I used the same cardboard templates which I made for the driver's side:

Extra pic:

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    This will be a frustrating and time-consuming job 1 out of 4 corners in progress, after spraying a paint layer I noticed one spot needed to be cut open and hammered down.

Finally got all the parts for the control arms, roll-center/bump steer -adapter fits perfectly

Also few lengths of aluminium tubing appeared this week, need to build up something of those

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    Sick!!! Damn how I'm I missing out on some of the best builds?!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    Thanks! Trying to keep the topic up now that I'm working more ofter with the car..

The color, I like it Paintwork not so perfect but ok for molding

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    looks good.
    keep it up! i love seeing updates on this build.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    After the front fender was done I moved to the rear end to see if I could conjure it up to "mold ready". Massive filler layer hid under the paint. Round corner will be made into the mold, I find it easier than forming the metal mockup. That moment I felt like I have to order the tires to see will it really fit??

Postman brought me some stuff, mostly cooling system components; Davies Craig electric water pump and controller, now I can get rid of belt driven pump and thermostat housing, keep things simple Package also contained very compact cabin heater and a 16in radiator fan:

And the most important; Rear tires arrived yesterday.. All I can say that's a lot of rubber! Although they look massive it will fit inside the fender strictly:

To avoid ruining them in the first practices I ordered E46 MK60 ABS/DSC unit, but only ABS will be used. I've seen people using MK60 standalone systems earlier, but the price of the complete harness was far out of my budget. Lately I started to sort out ABS system again and found out it could be done by myself maybe.
    If anyone has a complete wiring diagram or MK60 ABS unit pin layout, please send me a message! All the info I've come across is kind of dispersed..

My Cars
    1993 325is

My Cars
    E36
    this build is legendary. sub'd.

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    Thanks for the link jakermac! Found a lot of useful info from that thread

Here's my Mk60 ABS unit. This thing is mini size compared to E30 pump + ecu!

I'm probably going to mount it in passenger's footwell, easy to route piping and electrics. Cabin heater will be bolted somehow over the IC:

ABS unit sits nice behind the aluminium foot rest:
    http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...psxatseub5.jpg

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuge View Post

I'm probably going to mount it in passenger's footwell, easy to route piping and electrics. Cabin heater will be bolted somehow over the IC:

ABS unit sits nice behind the aluminium foot rest:
    http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...psxatseub5.jpg
    Are you going to be using check valves at the calipers? In hot rods typically the master cylinders end up near the floor and check valves are required to keep a good pedal. The calipers can basically pump fluid as the pistons move in and out and create air pockets in the lines.

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    I haven't heard about such occasion.. Few people have used similar arrangement with pedalbox without check valves, without problems.
    What I think it only applies if the reservoir is also mounted on/below the level of the calipers, my reservoirs will be mounted higher in the engine bay, that should prevent the "siphon effect".

My Cars
    2010 Audi A4
    love what you've done so far. in for more.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuge View Post
    I haven't heard about such occasion.. Few people have used similar arrangement with pedalbox without check valves, without problems.
    What I think it only applies if the reservoir is also mounted on/below the level of the calipers, my reservoirs will be mounted higher in the engine bay, that should prevent the "siphon effect".
    It may be reservoir related now that you mention it. NEvermind.

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    BBS RF centres look much better with decent lips and barrels 11.5x17"

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Yummy!!

My Cars
    E36
    fitment is perfect!

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    One day I tried how things fit in those RF wheels, 15mm spacer is minimum to clear the caliper but with 7" inner barrel it's pretty close to damper. So maybe a 6.5" barrel would be a better choice.

As someone might ask, here's the complete list of the parts:
    -E36 M3 spindles
    -E46 M3 OEM rotors with aluminum hub
    -Brembo ZL/ZR18 calipers
    -MagnusRacingTeam control arms with roll-center/bump steer adapters
    -K-sport circuit dampers with custom valving and spring rates for my car

If anyone else is interested in similar front control arm kit, I've got a few extra sets in stock.
    U.S. buyers please contact dylan@neuemotorsports.com he's making a pre-order.
    Scandinavian buyers please contact info@motornord.se
    If located elsewhere, please contact us magnusracingteam@gmail.com

"These control arms are made for E30 chassis to accept and correct the front end geometry using E36 or E36-M spindles.
    E36-series spindles are often used to get 5-lug bolt pattern, but they also have better variety of brakes and coilovers than E30-series. Spindle itself has better geometry for racing as it is closer to E30 M3 variants.
    The most notable advantages are correct wheel location and roll-center/bump steer correction which are decayed when substantially lowering the car. On the side the adapter plate also makes the steering ratio quicker. Kit only has about half the weight of orginal cast control arms.
    The kit offers a chance to adjust the front end the way you want it; width, caster and anti-dive properties are all adjustable.

This is pure motorsports from the E30 DTM era."

- - - Updated - - -

Summer vacation is over... back to work and back to build the project.

I supposed to fabricate intake manifold right after the exhaust was done, but I ended up doing something else. Now I felt like doing aluminium parts. Previously I did aluminium charge pipes for my friends E21 turbo and welding felt pretty easy, maybe because of the thicker material or gained experience Anyway...

Got to start from somewhere, cut hole for IC to throttle body -pipe:

Making plenum backplate:

Our hydraulic press channel :doh:

Now with integrated trumpets:

Next on to do -list are the runners, there's no too much space and I think I have to do some minor compromises.
    Last edited by Miuge; 08-06-2016 at 06:41 AM.

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    ...story of the intake manifold continues:

Tuned length 330mm:

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    Next thing was to make the airbox/plenum part. Space was limited but the volume will be near 9 liters when finished. I think there's no ultimate formula for calculating ideal volume, but 2-3 times the engine displacement should do when seeking at maximum power.

Started with two long radius elbows and a piece of straight tube:

Tried to fabricate a smooth air inlet transition piece, this should distribute air better than just an elbow welded to the bottom:

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    Lately I was browsing the interwebs looking for a throttle body to get the intake finished. No reason to go massive size flap so I wanted one to fit my alu elbows. I found a 80mm TB and same shop was selling v-band flanges suitable for the upcoming exhaust system, incidentally I found an oil filter relocation kit with thermostat, I think the blue color won't stay though...

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    One busy month behind, but not with the car.. Some progress with cylinder head and intake manifold.

Along with some other laser cutting parts I finally ordered an adapter plate for the gearbox. I've machined a centering tool to align everything perfectly before marking the holes.

Earlier when starting to make the intake, I was talking about one minor compromise..
    There was no enough room for the supercharger or atleast it would have been very difficult to mount it with all the piping etc, so I decided to get rid of it.

Now it's only this baby taking care of the boost production Custom 1.10A/R exhaust housing is on it's way.

My Cars
    E30 & E36
    Yesterday I visited at the garage measuring and listing the bits needed to mount the new parts.
    First note; my centering tool was slightly too big to fit crank bearing slot, need to machine max. tenth of a millimeter off:

Adapter plate test fit:

Found a pic how the intake manifold matches the port:

And as you can see in the earlier pictures cylinder head was full of dirt, dust and metal chips so I gave it a little wash:

My Cars
    e28 m5 e30 4.4T e36 325
    Geeezzz bro. This is beautifully gorgeous!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast