My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

The 2001 X5 Guide

http://www.bimmerforums.com/?p=710
    By Gary R VanRemortel vanremog@aol.com

The BMW X5 is a superb road vehicle, but it is not a full-up off-road 4-wheeler. It is built like a tank and as such, the vehicle is quite heavy. But it is still a car, not a truck. The doors are stout, open up at a good angle and will hurt if they trap any body parts during closure.

The X5 offers exceptional comfort over a long day’s drive and can carry camping supplies and a couple of kayaks up top to boot. It is arguably one of the finest driving sport utility vehicles in the world. A Class III hitch receiver is an easy DIY installation and enables you to haul all of your holiday toys. I strongly encourage all X5 owners to take a personal interest in learning about their car’s systems, care about their ongoing condition and see to their periodic needs. Remember to keep all automotive tools and chemicals locked up or out of the reach of children and pets.

These cars are well designed and I feel that each owner will want to keep it in as good a condition as possible, for as long as possible. Be aware that repair shops may have policies against installing non‑BMW branded replacement parts, so you may be on your own when installing aftermarket parts. Maintenance technicians are not engineers, are not equipped to render a judgment on the quality of your alien parts and they don’t want you suing them if something goes wrong with your car as a result. You should respect this mindset.

If you believe that an important issue has been overlooked or an error made in this article, please contact me directly.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2006 BMW X5 4.4
    Check coolant level Display warning on after a very cold morning.. Topped it off.... And still giving me the check coolant level on dashboard.. Temp level dead center. Please help

My Cars
    2001 X5 4.4 Non Sport
    possible valley pan issue? It drips slowly from this area and lands on top of transmission and evaporates from there; therefore, you never see any on the ground.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i

E53 X5: 2000-2006 model year info

Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-24-2015 at 02:02 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Has anything changed as far as winter tire availability on the 4.8 [E70 range] since this post? Thanks Qsilver7!
    Last edited by shogun; 12-13-2019 at 09:59 AM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    there is no way the 4.8 is that much faster than the 4.6

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    The E53 X5 is extremely easy to work on. Like...Lego-easy...