Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Replacing RFTs on my 2013 135I

My Cars
    2013 BMW 135IC

Replacing RFTs on my 2013 135I

I want to replace the Bridgestone RE050As on my 135I with a non RFT tire. I'm looking for better ride comfort and all season performance. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    Is the car the sport package or base Model?

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

My Cars
    2013 BMW 135IC

Replacing RFTs on my 2013 135I

Quote Originally Posted by Jim@tirerack View Post
    Is the car the sport package or base Model?
    Its the base model, with M Sport suspension: 215/40-18 front tires and wheels; and 235/45-18 rears.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I'd recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s. I used to work in a tire shop and have sold a lot of them. They are definitely a good tire and they always seemed to wear very nice and have great reviews.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it looks like you have 215/40r18 front and 245/35r18 rear, not 235 rear.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    The only option is the Michelin AS3. They are very good in wet and dry but they are below average in the snow. To get into other tiers you are going to have to change sizes some. If I can help with the tires let me know.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Haha that's funny. At first I typed in the 215/40 and 235/45 he had listed as the sizes and there were a bunch of all season options. How often is this thing driven in the snow?
    Last edited by pDubs; 10-13-2014 at 02:00 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    If you run winter tires you can go with a 225/40R18 all the eay around. If not you are going to need to go with a 255/35R18 on the rear for more tire options. The only problem is the 255/35R18 is tight on the rear.

My Cars
    2009 135 Convertible
    Karjim-

Made the conversion to Non RFT on my '09 135 a little over a year ago.

I went with Michelin Sport A/S Plus (believe these are the AS3). I went with 225/40ZR18 (front) and 245/40ZR18 (Rear). So far I love them! I have around 18000 miles and tread looks almost brand new (although I am due for an alignment).

These tires are much more compliant than the BS RFT that were on the car previously which is better for me as this is a daily driver. The tires are still sporty, but they do have a little more "give" than the RFT, but definitely not bad (I dont track). Only thing I might do differently is either drop from a 225 to a 215 and from a 245 to a 235 aspect ratio while maintaning the 40 sidewall height ratio or keep the wider tires and drop to a lower sidewall height (such as 35).

This wouldnt make a huge difference, but should tighten up the ride just a little.

Edit to Add- Ran these through Atlanta's snowstorms last year and they actually did pretty well although I would not want to do so all the time.

If anyone knows of a temporary spare option please let me know
    Last edited by SandlapperGT; 10-22-2014 at 11:39 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    A/S Plus are different than the AS3. The AS3 is basically the newer version.

The tires do have some differences as well though. One big difference to me is the A/S Plus are directional and the AS3 are not.

My Cars
    2009 135 Convertible
    Good info. Yes, mine are directional. About to rotate which will mean a mount dismount. May just do the fronts and the rears are pretty even wear. Because of different sizes I cant rotate front /rear.