Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you press in a ball joint?

My Cars
    m3

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrrrrrrr View Post
    For the record, I would still cut the long stud if I was doing this job a second time. It's very difficult to fit a long enough adapter over the stud and press down at a steady angle, and I would be afraid of simply pressing the stud through the base plate deforming the rest of the balljoint so much you can no longer press it out.

For shameless self-promotion, here's my DIY thread at M3F with all the specific adapters and techniques one needs to do this job. For the love of jehova, don't have an assistant put their hands on any of the adapters while you are pressing.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=402063
    FTR the correct spelling is, Jehovah ..and so what happened to said assistant? I see a few have taken precautions from shrapnel too..
    Last edited by hide1; 11-03-2014 at 06:02 AM.
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    M3
    This thread should get stickied.

I have done my arms already.

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    How are you finding the raybestoses, or did you find a press to get those oe arms back in play?
    If the mind can conceive it, & you believe it, you will achieve it. - Napolean Hill
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 Alpine White & 1998 Arctic Silver ///m3/4/5
    JC Intake - ASC Delete - Dinan TB - Flow Matched 21.5# Injectors - JC Tune - SS Euro Reps (modified to retain SAP) - z3m ssk - Eisenmann Race 76mm - Yokohama Advan S2 - Squared LTW's - FK Silverline +X - Rogue FCAB/ RTAB/ RSM/ TM - X-Brace - CDV Delete -Racing Dynamics F&R Strut Braces - NGK BKR6E- German Castrol 0w-40

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    How are you finding the raybestoses, or did you find a press to get those oe arms back in play?
    I have a 20ton press at work but am so pressed on time.
    I made life easier and got Raybestos arms with pressed in ball joints and used my oem fcabs. Still excellent condition.
    I don't know what to say about them. It's been 1 week only since I got them.

My ball joint was so bad that I can say even the poorly reviewed "URO" product would have been good.

Things I do notice:
    After a full left or right turn with the need of turning the wheel 360 degrees, I have to help the steering wheel more to get it back to original position. Maybe because ball joints are fresh and need more breaking in? Not sure.
    Never have I had the need to replace control arms on any BMW I owned.

I do believe I need to turn the steering wheel more to get the car to turn. I don't think that's a control arm issue though.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Hi guys! I just got a pair of balljoints with this metal piece on the bottom... How can i press this kind of balljoint? any one have done it yet? thanks
    s-l225.jpg

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by diguim View Post
    Hi guys! I just got a pair of balljoints with this metal piece on the bottom... How can i press this kind of balljoint? any one have done it yet? thanks
    s-l225.jpg
    Do you have a e36 m3? If so those are the wrong balljoints. Those would be the other e36 models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ()()===[][]===()()

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123