Thread: Headliner flapping about near back window

My Cars
    1996 318i S Coupe M44

Headliner flapping about near back window

Hey guys its been a while, my 318 has been off the road for the past three months after what I thought was the prop shaft center bearing going turned out to be a bad rear wheel bearing and bent handbrake shoe backing cover thing.

So now the cars got a clean bill of health again I'm looking to fix the niggly bits, one of which is the headliner has come out at the back near the rear window. Now I pushed it back in with one of those credit card sized ice scrapers but doing any speed with the windows down causes it to come loose again. Any tips on the best way to fix it? Preferably without removing the headliner.

I was going to spadge some glue on the back and try and push it back in but its the grey liner and glue would discolour it if I got it everywhere also not sure what glue to use...??

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Only way I would recommend is to remove it and reupholster it. It's really not that hard. Remove oh shit handles, remove visors, remove map and dome lights, remove all pillar covers and it comes right out.

My Cars
    1995 E36 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
    . Remove oh shit handles.

Quote Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
    Only way I would recommend is to remove it and reupholster it. It's really not that hard. Remove oh shit handles, remove visors, remove map and dome lights, remove all pillar covers and it comes right out.

My Cars
    325is
    You can glue it for now but the foam will break down some where else and that will droop and so on and so on. For me eventually the center will sag and spread to the sun roof and it over.

My Cars
    1997 328IS
    Old skool has a pretty detailed DIY for this, I'm planning on using it in a few weeks when I do mine. It's really the only proper way to do it.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325iS
    Keep the Oh shit handles off when you put it back in. Cleans up the look a lot.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah but then you don't have oh shit handles for the oh shit moments.

I did the opposite. I removed the headliner and everything to re-upholster it and then realized I don't really mind the bare metal roof. So I put the sunvisors and oh shit handles back in without the entire headliner. Maybe one day I'll redo it and throw it back in but it really doesn't hold any purpose to me.
    Last edited by pDubs; 10-10-2014 at 09:49 AM.

My Cars
    e36 325i, e85 Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by PanicAcid View Post
    Hey guys its been a while, my 318 has been off the road for the past three months after what I thought was the prop shaft center bearing going turned out to be a bad rear wheel bearing and bent handbrake shoe backing cover thing.

So now the cars got a clean bill of health again I'm looking to fix the niggly bits, one of which is the headliner has come out at the back near the rear window. Now I pushed it back in with one of those credit card sized ice scrapers but doing any speed with the windows down causes it to come loose again. Any tips on the best way to fix it? Preferably without removing the headliner.

I was going to spadge some glue on the back and try and push it back in but its the grey liner and glue would discolour it if I got it everywhere also not sure what glue to use...??

A good temporary fix is to take flat thumb tacks and paint them your interior colour. I just picked some up for a buck and painted them beige with inteior paint and stuck them in symmetrically, barely noticeable. It's been holding great for a while now. Just a thought.

My Cars
    1996 318i S Coupe M44
    Quote Originally Posted by 328isblack View Post
    A good temporary fix is to take flat thumb tacks and paint them your interior colour. I just picked some up for a buck and painted them beige with inteior paint and stuck them in symmetrically, barely noticeable. It's been holding great for a while now. Just a thought.
    Ha ha I love it, I'm going to try wedging some card in when I push the fabric back, round see if that helps for now while I keep my eye out for a black liner I think.