Thread: Right turn signal not working

My Cars
    2001 325i

Right turn signal not working

So like the title says, my right (passenger) turn signal doesn't work all the time. Sometimes it will work all day and other times it won't work all day. Some days it will work a few times, then won't a few times, then will a few more times, on and off back and forth all day. It's really weird and completely random. But what's weirder is my left turn signal never has an issue and ALWAYS works. My hazards work all the time too. When the right signal doesn't work, the front and rear signal bulbs don't light up, no green arrow on the dash, and no noise from the relay. Nothing at all. When it does work, it sometimes sounds weird like its struggling to blink. It doesn't go slow or faster than the left side. It just sounds weird. I honestly think it's just a relay and not the switch but what do you guys think? Also, is there only the one relay for the hazards and turn signals? Or is there a relay for each. I know about the one in the fuse box but just wondering because every car I've owned had one under the dash and one in the fuse box. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My Cars
    1995 E36 325i
    Check your relay in the engine bay. If you put your hazards on you can hear it ticking. I don't remember exactly which one it is. Happened to me not so long ago. Cleaned the contacts and never had a problem again

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Do you think that the turn signal stalk is working properly inside the steering column? The relay that makes the lights blink is the same for left and right.

All flashing functions for the turn/emergency markers go through the Hazard Flasher Relay, so if the emergency flashers work reliably but the turn indicators do not, then my money is on the combination switch (turn signal stalk). My logic says that if the hazard relay was the fault, then the same malfunction would exist whether turning or setting the emergency flashers on.

My Cars
    325is
    Had a similar problem I was ready to replace the turn stalk or pull it out first to look over but decoded to try WD40 because there is too many wires to unplug. It work for me for 2 years now.

update

The Year now is 2022 so 7 years and and still working with the WD 40 clean. But when I used my turn signal, the switch would work if i press more vs this relay problem i read about for other people. The relay problem is when it will not work no matter what you do with the turn signal vs the wiggling the turn signal to get it to work. .
    Last edited by gc325is; 02-01-2023 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    I don't think WD-40 would be a proper solution here. Contact cleaner, maybe. I do think most of us agree though that the turn signal stalk is your most likely issue here.
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona (Top Banana #3874 of 4000)
    1996 BMW 328is
    1970 Dodge Dart Custom (225 Slant Six, unrestored)

My Cars
    2001 325i
    I fixed the problem a couple days ago. Sorry, forgot to update the thread.

It was the relay. I put the new one in a couple days ago and it's been perfect ever since. I figured I'd try the relay first since it was the cheapest option and I'm glad I did that because it was much easier and cheaper than changing the switch.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323 TI

Which relay did you put?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris951 View Post
    I fixed the problem a couple days ago. Sorry, forgot to update the thread.

It was the relay. I put the new one in a couple days ago and it's been perfect ever since. I figured I'd try the relay first since it was the cheapest option and I'm glad I did that because it was much easier and cheaper than changing the switch.

Which relay did you put?

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Probably just carrosion on one of the prongs on the relay. Ive had them get black or yellow and they make bad contact. But hey, maybe it was the relay.

My Cars
    1999 325ic 1987 325i
    I just picked up another 97 328i, my left turn signal works like a charm. however my right turn signal will not work at all, including the hazard lights. the turn signal indicator on the dash and the outside turn signal do not come on at all for the right side.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Check the trunk boot wiring and wiring behind the cluster.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by acoates.e30 View Post
    I just picked up another 97 328i, my left turn signal works like a charm. however my right turn signal will not work at all, including the hazard lights. the turn signal indicator on the dash and the outside turn signal do not come on at all for the right side.

According to my Bentley manual, the Hazard Relay is the item that can allow the left side turn indicators to work but not the right side.

My Cars
    318i, 523i, M3, Z3
    Update! Hope this helps someone. I had this issue. My right signal doesn't work, left does works and all signals work when the hazards are on. The problem is with the relay in the fuse box under the hood. There are TWO relays, in that 'relay', one for each side. It hard to explain but perhaps the contacts on the signal stock are getting bad and can't provide enough current to get the 'right' relay going. I took the relay out and took the cover over. The 'top' relay is the 'right one'. It would go with the hazards but not the stock. I whacked it with a screwdriver a few times and for now, it works. I'll get a 'new' one at the scrap yard next time I go. :-)

My Cars
    04 M3 / 97 M3 / 87 325is
    I've had the same problem with the right turn signal sticking since I bought the car 10 years ago! I swapped the relay last night and it works great now ... only took a decade lol.

My Cars
    1998 m3 sedan
    I have a 98 m3. Right turn signal works only intermittently. Signal works fine with hazards.

I replaced relay 8 - hazard relay and it fixed the issue.

My mechanic (who knows his stuff) couldn’t believe it and swore that if it was a relay fault then both signals would have issues. There must be some isolated component in the relay system that is for the turn signal only operation. I’ve tried looking at the schematic 6312 in the ETM and I think I can see a pathway that explains this but I’m not too good with electrical maps.

I’m posting to keep this thread alive since relay #8 can be the source of intermittent right turn signal failure , while signal still works under hazards.

Thank you internet and forum posters for helping me solve this issue. Threads like this are keeping these cars alive.

My Cars
    325is
    BMW diagram Circuit page 206 path from top is turn signal stalk two lines to the Hazard and Flash relay then to L and R turn lights .

Only one relay but there are 3 inputs L R and hazard

bmw relay.jpg
    Last edited by gc325is; 02-03-2023 at 02:38 PM.

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by gc325is View Post
    BMW diagram Circuit page 206 path from top is turn signal stalk two lines to the Hazard and Flash relay then to L and R turn lights .

Only one relay but there are 3 inputs L R and hazard
    Excellent. Thank you and others for the info on this thread. My left turn signal failed recently, but then started working again later in the day. Only an issue with the left side, right side worked. Did not think to check hazard light functionality, but will keep that in mind. I will pull the relay and check the contacts to make sure they are clean.

My Cars
    95 STX 325i
    Ran into the same issue, left signal & hazards worked but the right signal. I wiggled and pressed the relay that was clicking and it somehow resolved it. If it happens again, will probably replace the relay.