Thread: ZF vs Getrag Parts/Clutch

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is

ZF vs Getrag Parts/Clutch

I'm close to doing my ZF swap and I've got transmission and drive shaft so far. I've been matching and differentiating part numbers between ZF and Getrag models. I wanted to make this thread to see if I could find confirmation on if everything I have/plan on getting will work together.

What I have now:

ZF transmission from a '98 Z3M, 79,xxx miles, new guibo
    ZF drive shaft from a '98 M3

I've read that there are some differences in the guibo's size/length between holes, but since these parts are both from M cars I think they should mate up fine if anyone can confirm this?

What I plan on getting:

Valeo Single Mass Flywheel Conversion Kit w/ Clutch, from ECS tuning
    Clutch kit from Pelican Parts, minus the things included with the Valeo kit.

What I need help with:

The Slave Cylinder part number changes from the 325 to the Z3M
    The Throw-Out Bearing part number changes from the 325 to the Z3M

However, a 328i, using the the same ZF as the Z3M, uses the two same parts as the 325i... I'm assuming this is because the Z3M has a beefier clutch set-up and a clutch delay valve? What should I do here?

The Valeo kit can be used on both a 325 and a 328, with a $50 in price for the 328 kit... Assuming this is because of a 12 mm increase in the clutch disc size/flywheel size for the 328?

Am I safe with the 325 kit or the 328? Does it matter? I've been searching threads and part numbers for hours and I just need clarification on a few things. Thanks for any help.
    '95 325is in semi-rare Arctic Gray, clears, some ///M ​parts, and much more to come!

My Build Thread

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    You're over thinking this.

Clutch: pick any clutch you want and any flywheel that matches it. These items have nothing to do with ZF or Getrag. Clutch and flywheel are determined by your engine size and driving style. Tranny doesn't enter into it.

Slave: use your existing slave off the Geyrag

Guibo: ZF and Getrag guibo are very different. You can use a guibo for a 328 or an M3. The only difference is the M3 guibo is thicker.

Throw out bearing: just get a new one for a 328.

Drive Shaft: you're all set

Clutch Fork Pivot Pin: get a new one. They're about $1.50. You didn't mention this

Shifter Linkage: you can't use your Getrag linkage. You didn't mention this one either

That's it. Keep it simple.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    You're over thinking this.

Clutch: pick any clutch you want and any flywheel that matches it. These items have nothing to do with ZF or Getrag. Clutch and flywheel are determined by your engine size and driving style. Tranny doesn't enter into it.

Slave: use your existing slave off the Geyrag

Guibo: ZF and Getrag guibo are very different. You can use a guibo for a 328 or an M3. The only difference is the M3 guibo is thicker.

Throw out bearing: just get a new one for a 328.

Drive Shaft: you're all set

Clutch Fork Pivot Pin: get a new one. They're about $1.50. You didn't mention this

Shifter Linkage: you can't use your Getrag linkage. You didn't mention this one either

That's it. Keep it simple.
    Thanks for clearing it up Fly, just want to make sure I don't have to drop the transmission again for something overlooked.
    '95 325is in semi-rare Arctic Gray, clears, some ///M ​parts, and much more to come!

My Build Thread

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    A couple things I would add to that list that are optional but a good idea

Rear main seal
    Tranny mounts
    Motor mounts

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    A couple things I would add to that list that are optional but a good idea

Rear main seal
    Tranny mounts
    Motor mounts
    Motor mounts were replaced about 3 years ago, transmission mounts are new on the trans already and the crank seal comes in the pelican kit. I'm unsure if I want to get a metal pivot pin instead of the plastic one though, mixed reviews on functionality.

My Build Thread

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Grauhund View Post
    I'm unsure if I want to get a metal pivot pin instead of the plastic one though, mixed reviews on functionality.

Any more details on the negatives? What did You go with, and how do You like the results?

2/'99 M3 Coupe - Estoril Blue / Black Vader / Contours / Style 32s - 200K
    ARP Studs | M50 manifold | ASC TB, SAP, and CCV delete | Catch Can | 7K limiter | DSSR
    Factory X-brace | Eibach/RD strut bar | Vogtland coilovers | RD front sway | Powerflex FCABs | JT RSMs | Factory RSM reinforcement plates | ECS RTAB limiters | Z3 rack | 0-ring shielded lower steering column bearing | RD front bumper cover | ZKW E-codes | C33 Aux-in mod | BSW mids