Thread: E39 M5 struts/shocks fit 530i?

My Cars
    1995 E34

E39 M5 struts/shocks fit 530i?

So i wanna throw out the garbage 2001 530i suspension and go the cheap way and try to fit M5 suspension because it's worth pennies nowadays.
    Looked at some sites, kits are different for V8 and 6 cyl models. Has anyone actually tried fitting them? Usually it's some stupid sh!t like different strut mounts that make the fitment a problem.
    Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks.

My Cars
    Too many e39s
    The V8 cars are much heavier up front, so M5 shocks/struts will not be compatible with your 530. They may bolt on, but you won't like the ride height and feel.

03 540i/6 M-Sport (#166 out of 1,265)
    01 540i/6
    01 525iAT
    01 530i
    M62/TU crank holder tool, fan clutch tools, and rear ball joint removal press available for New England members who need them!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    yeah the stiff ride might even be OK but the ride height will look silly - you'll be all front-high. not worth it given how a decent aftermarket setup that's probably better is < $1k.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1995 E34
    not too worried about height, gonna swap in the 530 springs for that

My Cars
    Too many e39s
    Quote Originally Posted by jint45 View Post
    not too worried about height, gonna swap in the 530 springs for that
    Even with 530 springs, it will still ride high with m5 struts.

03 540i/6 M-Sport (#166 out of 1,265)
    01 540i/6
    01 525iAT
    01 530i
    M62/TU crank holder tool, fan clutch tools, and rear ball joint removal press available for New England members who need them!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    errrr... OK... so all that trouble to just keep the same stock 530 springs? so you're not really in fact putting in an M5 suspension, you're just putting in M5 strut cartridges? spring rate is where it's at to really changing suspension performance. lot of trouble for little gain.

BTW you can't use the M5 front sway bar if that's part of your thinking... different subframe for the V8's...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

As per above, pointless putting M5 suspension onto your 530i. You'd spend your money much more wisely if you got an uprated suspension kit designed for a ... 530i

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    Don't do it! It will fit alright but the ride will be really stiff/harsh. I tried it on my sports Touring few years back and after a couple of weeks of harsh ride I removed the M5 front suspension and re-installed the oem suspension. The only M5 parts left in front are the brakes.

My Cars
    z3
    ITT: total lack of understanding of suspension components and how they work

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1995 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    ITT: total lack of understanding of suspension components and how they work
    I probably understand suspension components better than you, I don't need to make the car handle better, I need a CHEAP way to replace shocks/struts and sell the car, and I have complete M5 pieces sitting in my garage that i want to put in use instead of throwing them out. So read the initial question carefully. I'm only asking if it fits, don't care for opinions on how the suspension works and that installing a shock and spring package will be better for handling.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Your OP says nothing about "just want a cheap way to whack some struts in the car and I have these lying around anyway". Thats a totally different question.

Mostly people assume when you ask if things fit, you also want to know "will it fit and be a good performing enjoyable result". That's a pretty fair assumption given you gave nothing else to go on.

Unsub.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    So i wanna throw out the garbage 2001 530i suspension and go the cheap way and try to fit M5 suspension because it's worth pennies nowadays.
    Looked at some sites, kits are different for V8 and 6 cyl models. Has anyone actually tried fitting them? Usually it's some stupid sh!t like different strut mounts that make the fitment a problem.
    Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    I probably understand suspension components better than you, I don't need to make the car handle better, I need a CHEAP way to replace shocks/struts and sell the car, and I have complete M5 pieces sitting in my garage that i want to put in use instead of throwing them out. So read the initial question carefully. I'm only asking if it fits, don't care for opinions on how the suspension works and that installing a shock and spring package will be better for handling.
    Interesting.... One can usually tell another person's temperament by their posts. As GG points out, you did not tell a whole story when you first posted. As much as this Board tries to keep things "clean", you still found a somewhat lacking creative way to swear in your first post... inferring that you know it's not something welcome here, yet you still have to express it.

Secondly, now you claim you probably know more about suspension that someone who actually spends most days working on cars - not that I am on BB's side or not. In that same breath, you also state you are just trying to replace the 530's shocks with cheap replacements and in this car - wrong replacements just so you can sell it. So, the poor sap who buys this car now has to deal with literally a bad ride. I sure hope potential buyers are members here and reading this thread.

Nuff Said.

My Cars
    z3
    Wanting to put on improper suspension that will ride horrible just because it fits so you can sell the car and pass on the problem to someone else

Great idea, sport. Thats something a community of car enthusiasts will definitely support.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I'm with everyone else here.... But, You say that you understand suspensions better than whoever, if that is so, why are you asking what you're asking in the first place? How about this idea, sell the car as is, and sell the M5 bits and recoup some of the money back the more honorable way...

My Cars
    1995 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    Interesting.... One can usually tell another person's temperament by their posts. As GG points out, you did not tell a whole story when you first posted. As much as this Board tries to keep things "clean", you still found a somewhat lacking creative way to swear in your first post... inferring that you know it's not something welcome here, yet you still have to express it.

Secondly, now you claim you probably know more about suspension that someone who actually spends most days working on cars - not that I am on BB's side or not. In that same breath, you also state you are just trying to replace the 530's shocks with cheap replacements and in this car - wrong replacements just so you can sell it. So, the poor sap who buys this car now has to deal with literally a bad ride. I sure hope potential buyers are members here and reading this thread.

Nuff Said.
    Firstly, you still don't get the point of my question. Does it fit? yes/no, thank you, I've just never tried fitting this combo. I'm not here to post my accomplishments and what I do for living. Secondly, I installed the M5 shocks on the 530 already and the ride is amazing, muchhh softer than the BC's in my E34 m5. Third, by looking at the amount of posts you and bimmer breaker both have, you guys spent half your life on this forum, and I have spent half of mine at the shop and at the track.
    To the guys that actually answered my question, thank you very much, your input was much appreciated.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Firstly, you still don't get the point of my question. Does it fit? yes/no, thank you, I've just never tried fitting this combo. I'm not here to post my accomplishments and what I do for living. Secondly, I installed the M5 shocks on the 530 already and the ride is amazing, muchhh softer than the BC's in my E34 m5. Third, by looking at the amount of posts you and bimmer breaker both have, you guys spent half your life on this forum, and I have spent half of mine at the shop and at the track.
    To the guys that actually answered my question, thank you very much, your input was much appreciated.
    Whatever you say Oh Lord Expert... the Interweb bows before your Omnipotence. All Hail Jint45!!!!

My Cars
    z3

Frankly, I'm honored that someone who spends so much time at the track and learning suspnesion components even spent time to ask us feeble inferior people a question. It was an honor to have read words posted by The Great jint45 himself. I tremble in his presence.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Mi & Gr, you dudes are cracking me up!
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    bmw
    I did the same thing, and it drives really nice. I just having 1 problem. I fitted the e39 525i springs with the 4628 shocks and strut mount, but the top part of the spring is a little too big. Should I have fitted the 540i or m5 springs? I am scared that it will lift the ride high. any help with the springs

My Cars
    07 CX-7
    just source used 530 sport suspension and swap them on or buy new Bilstein shocks with h&r springs and call it a day.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Naid View Post
    I did the same thing, and it drives really nice. I just having 1 problem. I fitted the e39 525i springs with the 4628 shocks and strut mount, but the top part of the spring is a little too big. Should I have fitted the 540i or m5 springs? I am scared that it will lift the ride high. any help with the springs
    I think you can use the 540i / M5 strut mount on your inline-6 / 525i ...
    Reference the strut kit by ECS Tuning :
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...1311139453kt1/

I know people need to do this in order to fit the Bilstein PSS coil-overs ( and similar ) on their inline-6 cars ...

Last edited by Jason5driver; 12-02-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …