Thread: M235i - is M Performance Limited Slip Differential a must-have accessory?

My Cars
    2005 Mustang GT

M235i - is M Performance Limited Slip Differential a must-have accessory?

I am ready to replace my 2005 Mustang GT that I bought new. A few months ago I was pretty sure I would buy a new 2015 Mustang GT when they become available, and I still might. I built a virtual 2015 GT on the Ford website, and after adding the Performance Package, Navigation, and Premier Trim interior options, the MSRP was $40,610.

When the Mustang crossed over the $40K point, I really started thinking seriously of moving up to a BMW coupe.

First off, whatever car I get will always be garaged, never driven in snow, and basically be the "nice" car. The Mini Cooper will continue to be the winter beater and commuter workhorse. I also would like to take the car to the track at least once per year. I've been to 7 track days with the Mustang, including Watkins Glen (twice), Lime Rock (twice), Loudon, New Jersey Motorsports Park, and Thompson Speedway. There are typically way more BMWs than Mustangs at the track events, and I know how good they are.

I've been to the local BMW dealer several times this year, looking at 3 different M235i cars. Haven't driven one yet, since the dealer only has a pair of automatics at the moment and I definitely want a manual. But I've scrutinized the car from every angle, inside and out, sat in one for about 30 minutes talking to the salesman, and I love the thing.

So I go to the BMW USA site to build a 2015 M235i, trying to keep the options to a minimum, but also have what I would expect in a $40K car. I went for the White paint, red leather interior, and Tech package, and the MSRP was just north of $47,000. Not bad. But then I get to the Accessories tab on the web site, and there's only one item: the M Performance Limited Slip Differential. $2895. What?!

I thought I had done my research, reading a bunch of professional reviews, looking at the lap times in the just-released Car And Driver Lightning Lap, etc., but I missed the fact that the car does not come standard with a limited slip rear end. A Mustang without a "posi" rear end is absurd and unthinkable. In fact, I assumed that any decent performance car is going to have a limited slip rear end.

So I went ahead and added the "accessory," and now the MSRP crossed over the $50K mark, to $50,545. A full $10K more than the comparably equipped Mustang GT.

So the question for the experts here is - is that Limited Slip accessory a must-have or just a nice-to-have feature?
    2005 Mustang GT - Screaming Yellow M5, Hurst, Hawk Brake Pads, Super Blue ATE Racing Brake Fluid
    Other vehicles: 2003 R50 Mini Cooper 5-speed; 2011 Kawasaki Z1000 (0-60 in 2.7 seconds - 1/4 mile 10.3 seconds @ 129 mph; stock)

My Cars
    LSB MCoupe; 3.8M5
    I know the new mustang is the first with IRS, and I have no idea how this affect track or street use, but I have owned the M235i since the end of March, and it is the easiest and most fun car at the limit that I have had. Go drive the M235, and it doesn't matter, auto or manual, just drive it, and I think you will have your answer. Go and drive it.

My Cars
    z3
    For the average driver an LSD is not a must. Since you actually track your cars, you will probably want it.

Have you considered a 228i with the LSD? Price will probably come out more where you want it too and its still got plenty of power. Just an idea

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

Get the LSD or get the mustang. If you are an enthusiast you will want the LSD. Own a 135i and hated it until I got an LSD. Night and day comparison.

My Cars
    1994 540/6
    LSD was night and day in my 135i, must have, one tire fires are lame

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I often ask myself this question about the future of LSDs ... especially consider like like the Mclaren 650s and P1 do not come with mechanical LSDs.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    I often ask myself this question about the future of LSDs ... especially consider like like the Mclaren 650s and P1 do not come with mechanical LSDs.
    I'm a product of the 60's, and back then it was all about the 1/4 mile and how fast one could run it. Mechanical LSD's made a lot of sense then.

I no longer really get into the racing aspects of a car, so I'm out of the loop today, but I think you're correct in wondering about their future, especially with all the computer-enhancements being implemented in performance cars.

I'm sure there will always be a few that want them, but it seems to me that would be a declining group as years go by...

Just my thoughts...

My Cars
    2005 Mustang GT
    I posted the same question about the LSD in the Mustang forum, since I am cross-shopping the two cars. And I got a variety of opinions over there too. The more information, the better.

Someone on the Mustang forum posted a YouTube link where Randy Pobst drove both an M235i and a Benz CLA5 AMG. From the info available, the M235i that Pobst drove in that video was not equipped with the LSD. Regardless, Randy's comment was that it was the best BMW he'd driven in the past 10 years. So if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

The other thing I've been thinking about is that the LSD is not an "option" anyway. It's an accessory that's installed at the BMW dealership. So it's not like you have to order the LSD with the car or you don't get it. If I do decide to go with the M235i, I could simply try the car out for a few months or whatever, and if I really felt the need, I could go back to the dealer and pay the $2895 for the install.

Here's the M235i video. Skip to the 8:00 mark to see Randy take it through its paces. I dare say I would never get close to the limit that Randy attains, LSD or not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDKr...layer_embedded
    2005 Mustang GT - Screaming Yellow M5, Hurst, Hawk Brake Pads, Super Blue ATE Racing Brake Fluid
    Other vehicles: 2003 R50 Mini Cooper 5-speed; 2011 Kawasaki Z1000 (0-60 in 2.7 seconds - 1/4 mile 10.3 seconds @ 129 mph; stock)

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
    I posted the same question about the LSD in the Mustang forum, since I am cross-shopping the two cars. And I got a variety of opinions over there too. The more information, the better.

Someone on the Mustang forum posted a YouTube link where Randy Pobst drove both an M235i and a Benz CLA5 AMG. From the info available, the M235i that Pobst drove in that video was not equipped with the LSD. Regardless, Randy's comment was that it was the best BMW he'd driven in the past 10 years. So if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

The other thing I've been thinking about is that the LSD is not an "option" anyway. It's an accessory that's installed at the BMW dealership. So it's not like you have to order the LSD with the car or you don't get it. If I do decide to go with the M235i, I could simply try the car out for a few months or whatever, and if I really felt the need, I could go back to the dealer and pay the $2895 for the install.

Here's the M235i video. Skip to the 8:00 mark to see Randy take it through its paces. I dare say I would never get close to the limit that Randy attains, LSD or not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDKr...layer_embedded
    It is is a build option now I think, as it can be built on the bmwna website. Mine doesn't have it and honestly it comes down to personal preference. I don't notice it really, but it is a street car. For those 2800 you can get the Dinan software and exhaust, and that you WILL notice.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    99 M3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kulx2AfNZuY

idk if I would be so quick to write off the mustang gt
    '99 M3
    '82 320i

My Cars
    z3
    I think the mustang looks pretty aggressive stock, that car looks like its just trying too hard to me. The headlights also look wrong to me for some reason. The Mustang is a great car, it was benchmakred against the E39 M5 (and it shows...) and is an ample performer. But the M235i is a more fun car IMHO. Depends what you are looking for, fastest lap time (may still be the BMW...) or biggest smile?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i
    I am ready to replace my 2005 Mustang GT that I bought new. A few months ago I was pretty sure I would buy a new 2015 Mustang GT when they become available, and I still might. I built a virtual 2015 GT on the Ford website, and after adding the Performance Package, Navigation, and Premier Trim interior options, the MSRP was $40,610.

When the Mustang crossed over the $40K point, I really started thinking seriously of moving up to a BMW coupe.

First off, whatever car I get will always be garaged, never driven in snow, and basically be the "nice" car. The Mini Cooper will continue to be the winter beater and commuter workhorse. I also would like to take the car to the track at least once per year. I've been to 7 track days with the Mustang, including Watkins Glen (twice), Lime Rock (twice), Loudon, New Jersey Motorsports Park, and Thompson Speedway. There are typically way more BMWs than Mustangs at the track events, and I know how good they are.

I've been to the local BMW dealer several times this year, looking at 3 different M235i cars. Haven't driven one yet, since the dealer only has a pair of automatics at the moment and I definitely want a manual. But I've scrutinized the car from every angle, inside and out, sat in one for about 30 minutes talking to the salesman, and I love the thing.

So I go to the BMW USA site to build a 2015 M235i, trying to keep the options to a minimum, but also have what I would expect in a $40K car. I went for the White paint, red leather interior, and Tech package, and the MSRP was just north of $47,000. Not bad. But then I get to the Accessories tab on the web site, and there's only one item: the M Performance Limited Slip Differential. $2895. What?!

I thought I had done my research, reading a bunch of professional reviews, looking at the lap times in the just-released Car And Driver Lightning Lap, etc., but I missed the fact that the car does not come standard with a limited slip rear end. A Mustang without a "posi" rear end is absurd and unthinkable. In fact, I assumed that any decent performance car is going to have a limited slip rear end.

So I went ahead and added the "accessory," and now the MSRP crossed over the $50K mark, to $50,545. A full $10K more than the comparably equipped Mustang GT.

So the question for the experts here is - is that Limited Slip accessory a must-have or just a nice-to-have feature?
    I have an M235i and I have tracked it 9 days this year. Since I got an early production car the limited slip was not available when I bought the car. I can tell you that out of the box this car is fantastic on the track even without the limited slip. I switch the adaptable suspension to the sport plus mode and then have at it on the track. Oh, and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are an added bonus. Great tire for a non racer tracker as well as day to day driving. Get the car - hold off on the diff - especially if you only do one or two track days each year. Once you move up to R compounds then consider adding the diff later. BTW, with your BMWCCA discount you can get 15% off the cost of the diff and the labor.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i
    I did a Euro delivery of my M235i back in March. I've done 9 track days this year and I don't have the limited slip diff because it was not available on the early production cars.

This car is fantastic on the track and I use it in sport plus mode. Combined with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires there is plenty of grip. I suggest that you buy this car now without the diff since you can always add it on later. Keep in mind that with your BMWCCA discount you can get 15% off of the cost of parts an labor I you add it on later.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i
    I did a Euro delivery of my M235i back in March. I've done 9 track days this year and I don't have the limited slip diff because it was not available on the early production cars. This car is fantastic on the track and I use it in sport plus mode. Combined with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires there is plenty of grip. I suggest that you buy this car now without the diff since you can always add it on later. Keep in mind that with your BMWCCA discount you can get 15% off of the cost of parts an labor I you add it on later.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
    I did a Euro delivery of my M235i back in March. I've done 9 track days this year and I don't have the limited slip diff because it was not available on the early production cars. This car is fantastic on the track and I use it in sport plus mode. Combined with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires there is plenty of grip. I suggest that you buy this car now without the diff since you can always add it on later. Keep in mind that with your BMWCCA discount you can get 15% off of the cost of parts an labor I you add it on later.

Man I really wanted to do euro delivery for mine but time didn't permit. Maybe once the m2 is out.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    E36 IS #565, SpecE46
    I had the same hang up about the M235i. I'm sure the M2 will come with one. I wonder if Dan from Diffsonline has built one of these yet or if he can even get his hands on the new case. I would rather pay him to build a custom than BMW.
    Cold Tires + Wall = Suck

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mcclaskz View Post
    I had the same hang up about the M235i. I'm sure the M2 will come with one. I wonder if Dan from Diffsonline has built one of these yet or if he can even get his hands on the new case. I would rather pay him to build a custom than BMW.
    Diffsonline definitely live up to their claim "built the same or better than OEM diffs". However, in my opinion and after speaking with Dan a few times last year (the guy knows his stuff!!!), I'd rather save up for one of his custom built diffs plus have a warranty to boot versus BMW NA's BS warranty.

BTW, if you want to learn more about LSD's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited-slip_differential

The post gives a good and broad explanation about how LSD's work and the different type of LSD's.

I'm saving up for a Quaife myself. If I'm going to pay 2K+ for a diff, I want a tried and proven name like Quaife or OS Giken in that diff. However, I'd been told the two clutch system is MORE than enough for my 128i on the track. And I am sure the 228i or 235i would handle beautifully with a 3 clutch or quaife.

OP, the IRS system on the new Mustangs is a force to be reckoned with. They definitely handle much better than before and I think they're going to become a track favorite soon. In my opinion, I'd go with the new Mustang GT versus the 235i or the M2 (yes, I know, Blasphemy... but you want to buy these cars used anyways).
    Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 2003 Titansilber 530i M-Sport - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M-Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
    My previous work:
    My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
    My 98 M3 and 03 530i Restoration Thread

My Cars
    Mustang
    I saw this thread just poking around. I know I'm late to the party.

Coming from a Mustang, you'll want the LSD.

I had a 2000 Mustang GT which comes std with an LSD - a $250 LSD, which is probably better than the BMW one -, and now have an e90 328i. I had the stock Ford LSD and an aftermarket Torsen when the stock unit clutch packs wore out after tons of Auto-x and road course work. When I got my 328i, I didn't realize it wouldn't have an LSD and I miss it every time I do something performance-y on the street. On a road course, you can do a lot without an LSD because you're rarely at low speed. Out of the toll booth, auto-x, and kicking the rear out, you'll want the LSD SO BAD. When you resell the car, you'll get a good portion of that $$ back.
    If you're a RWD guy, you want an LSD. If I did it again, I'd get a front drive car with an LSD over a RWD car without one.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    I don't notice it really, but it is a street car.
    You don't notice it because you probably have both wheels getting power anyways. It's pretty easy to tell when only 1 wheel is putting power to the ground.

I've done plenty of launches and whatnot and unless I launch immediately after turning a slight corner, I get both wheels spinning off the line. The only time your car will take power away from one side is around a corner, and you probably won't notice it.

2015 M235i 6MT

diffsonline is offline Supporting Vendor
    Diff Builder
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Escalade, Harley, BRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcclaskz View Post
    I've done just over a dozen now and I have 10 cores available so it's never an issue!

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000

The BMW performance LSD unit option for the M235i is excellent; its made by DREXLER in germany and a $0 core item.
    Drexler makes LSD units and racing gearsers for BMW DTM; motorsports department

the price from BMW is a steal; as there is no core involved and one can just pick it up from the local dealer.

Furthermore they are custom configurable if you wanted even more performance -send it to your preferred diff builder for adjustment if desired. They are very nice 6 disc asymetrical ramp units and can be setup for full race if desired.
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 11-15-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

My Cars
    E90 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
    The BMW performance LSD unit option for the M235i is excellent; its made by DREXLER in germany and a $0 core item.
    Drexler makes LSD units and racing gearsers for BMW DTM; motorsports department

the price from BMW is a steal; as there is no core involved and one can just pick it up from the local dealer.

Furthermore they are custom configurable if you wanted even more performance -send it to your preferred diff builder for adjustment if desired. They are very nice 6 disc asymetrical ramp units and can be setup for full race if desired.
    Drexler makes nice stuff; however, check the fine print. The BMW M Perf LSD gives only 30% lockup on drive and only 9% lockup on overrun. The OS Giken Dan put into my 335i gives up to 100% lockup under accel or decel. 30% doesn't sound like enough "limited" for an LSD. I want it to go all the way . . .

For this reason I'd use Dan and skip the $2,895 BMW piece. ymmv

My Cars
    z3
    Lockup % is the difference in wheel speed before the diff locks. It doesn't mean that when engaging it only "locks" to 30%. It means a 30% difference between wheel speeds left to right will cause the diff to lock. Lockup % on drive means during acceleration, the other number is the lockup % off-throttle.

A 100% locking diff would probably ruin your car or at least eat through tires like nobodies business because at anywhere other than dead-straight your diff will be locked and you will be sliding the rear tires. It would be very hard to turn a car with 100% locking. A welded diff is a 100% locking diff and you don't want to daily drive a car with such a diff. I really really doubt OS Giken would put a 100% lockup diff in anyone's car.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    0 mile complete diff from BMW. ......3k aint bad for NEW EVERYTHING.

just because its set mild from the bmw motorsports division does not make it weak; for 95% of posters including MWM it would be better for everyday use.

If you want the ultimate in new parts with custom config just ship the brand new bmw drexler unit to the diff builder of your choice and pay for additional custom configuration.

Os giken units are 0-100% locking; there is a damping spring internal.

Same for cusco lsd units; they are dampened can be set to 0-100% locking; they have 2 sets of ramps internal- os only has 1 set.

Both are great products and easy for a professional to setup.
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 07-23-2015 at 09:24 AM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

My Cars
    M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by e36x View Post
    LSD was night and day in my 135i, must have, one tire fires are lame
    I'm curious if I have a LSD or do all M235i engage both tires when you accelerate hard? I've had cars w/out a LSD that would only smoke one tire when you accelerated, but my M235i lights them both up equally. I did buy the car 1 year old from a private party and it did have quite a few options, but LSD was not listed on the sticker. It would seem odd that the owner would have sold it without mentioning it had a $2895 option if it does have the LSD. Attached is a pic of what it looks like when I punch it. (I felt bad afterwards that it left the burn out mark in the parking lot. I wasn't expecting it to be so dark. But it will fade away in a couple of weeks.) Tires are the original factory Michelin PSS.

BTW, the M235i is the most fun to drive car I have owned or driven. I'm always looking for an excuse to take it for a drive.