Thread: ANyone do a LS swap into an OBDII e36? EWS question

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.

ANyone do a LS swap into an OBDII e36? EWS question

Putting an LS in a 98 E36 chassis (EWS equipped obviously). Just wondering if anyone has any experience doing an LS swap in an EWS E36 chassis on this forum. ANy tips for me so I can get this car starting and driving properly. I figure it would be best to tackle any EWS wiring before I put the motor in. Thanks so much!

-JOn
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    Putting an LS in a 98 E36 chassis (EWS equipped obviously). Just wondering if anyone has any experience doing an LS swap in an EWS E36 chassis on this forum. ANy tips for me so I can get this car starting and driving properly. I figure it would be best to tackle any EWS wiring before I put the motor in. Thanks so much!

-JOn
    Unless I'm missing something obvious, EWS is not a factor once the DME is removed.

Tipsy

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    That's what I thought, however a local bmw swap "expert" friend of mine said that on 96+ EWSII cars operate through the body control module and will activate the fuel and spark signal to the pump and motor. Always thought it wasn't an issue unless I was swapping in another BMW motor into a BMW, but he got me thinking if EWS works through the BCM, it could affect other things even if I remove the stock BMW engine ECU and swap in a LS.

Not claiming to be an expert, which is why I posted. I am repeating what I was told and right now (before the motor is actually sitting in the car), it might be most convenient to tackle any ews wiring issues while more of the car is easily accessible.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully, youre right, tipsy! Just wanted to get some firsthand experience from someone who has done the LS swap (if anyone) on a EWS car.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    That's what I thought, however a local bmw swap "expert" friend of mine said that on 96+ EWSII cars operate through the body control module and will activate the fuel and spark signal to the pump and motor. Always thought it wasn't an issue unless I was swapping in another BMW motor into a BMW, but he got me thinking if EWS works through the BCM, it could affect other things even if I remove the stock BMW engine ECU and swap in a LS....

...Thanks for the help! Hopefully, youre right, tipsy! Just wanted to get some firsthand experience from someone who has done the LS swap (if anyone) on a EWS car.
    My swap is in process, but I've never once heard of it being an issue with an LSx swap.

Tipsy

My Cars
    1998 e36
    it is not an issue, You can just bypass the EWS module completely now that you don't have stock engine.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    it is not an issue, You can just bypass the EWS module completely now that you don't have stock engine.
    ok, thats what I figured. Do I unplug the module altogether or what? All BCM functions will still operate as normal?
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    ok, thats what I figured. Do I unplug the module altogether or what? All BCM functions will still operate as normal?
    You don't need to do, unplug or bypass anything. When removing BMW engine and ECU on e36, EWS still functions just fine. Even the "Code" function works on your OBC.
    Last edited by bimerok; 09-24-2014 at 06:24 PM.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    You don't need to do, unplug or bypass anything. When removing BMW engine and ECU on e36, EWS still functions just fine. Even the "Code" function works on your OBC.

great to know! thank you!
    -M3J0N