Thread: Red "BRAKES" Idiot Light in Dash Instrument Panel - but no MID Warning

My Cars
    '92e31 '06e90 '12f25

Red "BRAKES" Idiot Light in Dash Instrument Panel - but no MID Warning

Last week I replaced the faulty brake accumulator (bomb), flushed the Pentosin hydraulic fluid and replaced the canister filter. Took the car for a short drive and all seemed well - no idiot lights.

Yesterday, I had my mechanic flush and bleed the brake fluid (and change the coolant), brought the car home on a short drive and all still seemed well. Both of these drives were only a mile or so.

This morning, on a longer drive to work, after about 10 miles I noticed the Red "BRAKES" idiot light in the lower right hand corner of my instrument panel flicker on and then off -- then it flickered a few times again, illuminated for a bit and extinguished again -- and continued in this manner for a few more miles until I parked the car (I had no time to investigate at that point).

I assumed it might be that one of the brake lining sensors had been disturbed/shorting, but searching the forum it seems to me that this would have caused an indicative LINING warning in the center console MID. The manual is unclear to me as to what actually triggers the RED dash BRAKES light - it does not seem to be pad sensor, or brake light, or ABS related? I noticed no abnormal braking or steering function.

This is a '92 model, so I think the warning lights are a bit different than the later models. I doubt my mechanic would have underfilled the brake fluid, but I suppose that could set off the light?

Any other likely suspects that would trigger this light to flicker and go out intermittently? Things to check first? Am I correct that a shorted/shorting pad sensor would NOT trigger this red dash light alone?

Thanks for any pointers.
    Last edited by Kimolaoha; 09-19-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    Kimo --
    His: ............2012 (F25) X3, Sapphire Black Metallic
    Hers:...........2006 (E90) 330i, Sapphire Black Metallic
    Theirs:.........1992 (E31) 850i, Jet Black

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    Check the brake fluid level for starters.
    Pad sensor would trigger the brake linings message

Hope this helps.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    '92e31 '06e90 '12f25
    Quote Originally Posted by bdiefAZ View Post
    Check the brake fluid level for starters.
    Pad sensor would trigger the brake linings message

Hope this helps.
    Thanks. Fluid level for sure - to start.
    But do you or any others have any idea what else might trigger the light? Could the recent hydraulic work (bomb, fluid/filter change) be involved? or is this light only involved with the conventional/DOT 4 side of the brake system?
    Kimo --

My Cars
    iT & 850i
    Parking Brake switch? or possibly engaged one click?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840CI
    that dongs, and MID Parking Brake
    While you're down there ...

My Cars
    '92e31 '06e90 '12f25
    Quote Originally Posted by m10n View Post
    that dongs, and MID Parking Brake
    True that, HANDBRAKE ON, and I'm pretty sure LOW BRAKE FLUID and BRAKE LININGS also gongs and MIDs, as per this: http://www.e31.net/bordcomputer_e.html

But I'm getting only the idiot light, intermittently, no MID warnings at all (at least yet).

It just never ends, does it?
    Kimo --

My Cars
    '92e31 '06e90 '12f25
    I am joyful.
    It was simply borderline low level of the DOT 4 (about 1/4" below seam in reservoir). Topped it up to the MAX fill lever (as per the owner's manual), took her for a long drive, and never saw the light.
    Odd that it never triggered the MID warning, but the fact that the RED dash light was flickering and would extinguish intermittently is consistent with a borderline issue, perhaps not steady enough to trigger the MID warning.
    Maybe this will help someone else later.
    Kimo --

My Cars
    850,76 2002 &530,84 633
    I noticed the 'brake' light flicker on my car this week. Fluid may have been a little low so I started adding but the fluid level always returned back to the same spot, approximately at the seam of the reservoir. Is there some kind of overflow valve? I would think the system should be sealed. Its odd that I can continue adding fluid and never actually overfill it. So I dont have any idea where the fluid is going. Brakes work fine and there are no indications of leaks on tires, hubs, or floor. Thanks,