Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Substance D's hobo/budget/turbo/daily drifter build (3yrs of pics)

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Heres a short video of the event as promised! Hope you enjoy!

My Cars
    turbo e36

made a sweet bash bar. All tig welded with cnc cut base plate and tow hook, also heres a cool shot of the hood vent we made. Trying to get a cage in this thing before the next event so I can tandem with da randoms.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    looks/ sounds awesome dude!

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    looks/ sounds awesome dude!
    Thanks alot dude!!

Im thinking about selling my complete turbo setup, if interested heres my for sale thread!

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...3-T4-Turbo-Kit

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Well decided to end the year with a bang!

Random boost controller malfunction ended this motors life.

Motor out!

Prognosis, motor f*cked

Hibernation mode.

I was sad at first, but this is actually a good thing. I've been wanting to redo some stuff, and transition the car into full race car, instead of daily/half breed. She did well for me, 4-5 years of daily driving and not alot of issues. But I want to take my time, and build something truly beautiful, I have some big ideas, I will update this along the way. I am going to stick with BMW power plant, but am going to attempt something never been done before.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    6 Month update...oh how time flies...

So I managed to find the money, and begin purchasing parts, to resurrect ILSA.

Found this bottom end at the junkyard...had a blown hg...but had been sitting too long and developed rust in a cylinder trashing the bore. So mandatory machine shop.

Settled on Weisco 85mm Pistons and Eagle rods... These parts are so nice its a shame to put them inside of a motor, but hey thats what they're for.

While the block was at the machine shop, did some fiddly stuff to stay busy, Reinforced trans bracket, and added turbo drain to timing cover.

I also landed an endorsement deal with APEX Performance Turbocharger, based out of Oxnard Ca. Jim there is an awesome guy, and knows his stuff, I am probably the most demanding customer you will ever meet, he met and exceed all of my expectations, and custom built this APX362 Billet Turbo for my setup. I cannot wait to hear this thing scream. GO FOLLOW @APEX_BOOST and hit up Jim for all your turbo needs!

Heres the block back from the machine shop looking crispy.

Modded the block to accept S54 oil pump Timing chain tensioner

Whew...I have bunch more photos and stuff, will upload soon. Follow me on insta for quicker updates! Shes gonna RIP!!!

My Cars
    turbo e36
    So after waiting 6 weeks for off the shelf Wiesco's...It turns out there is a huge problem with them, they were miss-machined and the comp height is off...So I had to send them back to Weisco and and waiting for replacements... Really dissatisfied with there service, got the run around when I first called, had to call back weekly to get updates...Pretty Sh*tty customer service if you ask me...

So while we wait for those, started tackling the Vertical portion of this build...

Chopped up a perfectly good ZF. Had to make a jig to keep every thing concentric.

So attached modded trans to empty block to see where everythings wants to land and whipped up some motor mounts.

Everythings looking as intended, plenty of room for turbo fun. A big chunk of the custom stuff done, soon we get to make the fun stuff
    Last edited by Substance D; 09-01-2018 at 09:57 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Nice work rotating the engine, looks like a ton of room now for activities!

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    trans work looks top notch! What are the sizes of the wheels on that turbo? What kind of power goals do you have?

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    Nice work rotating the engine, looks like a ton of room now for activities!
    Thanks alot! I cant wait to start making manifolds!

Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    trans work looks top notch! What are the sizes of the wheels on that turbo? What kind of power goals do you have?
    Thanks dude! I was making 500whp with a 54mm turbo on e85...this turbo is a 6268, I am shooting for 666whp

Update. Got the oil pan all chopped up and welded, it was hanging a bit low for my taste. Lost about .3q capacity but I plan on adding a massive oil cooler that will compensate.

Only a couple more mods before I can start doing fun turbo stuff!

Did I mention my brother is a total baddass and machinist? He sent me some teaser shots of billet intake mani flange we're working on! Follow him @vonbraunphoto

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Update!

After 3 months, I finally have a set of usable Weisco's. I grew up riding dirt bikes, never had issues with them in the past, But I cant honestly recommend them to anyone just because of the time they wasted.

I immediately assembled the short block, and began installing accessories.

Heres's the head back from machine shop. Bent valves replaced, guides knurled and reamed, 3 angle valve job, new stem seals and resurfaced!

My brother made me this sweet coolant block-off plate to go with my heater core/ spider hose delete

I was never really happy with my expansion tank setup, so made a new one!

Finished my firewall block off plate

And lastly made a new dash block off plate to jazz up the interior

We are getting very close to having a running car again! I need a headgasket, some small odd's and ends, make 2 new manifolds and then its BOOOOSTTTT TIIMMMEE!!!

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Awesome stuff! I love the coolant pipe block off. Do you have to delete anything else other than the heater to delete that coolant pipe?

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Well, we finished the intake manifold flange and it looks awesome, very stoked on this piece, many, many hours went into this small seemingly simple part.

Here is the beautiful outcome:

Time to finish the motor, drop it in, and build some manifolds!

My Cars
    LS E46
    I really do envy people that have the patience to build, turbo and tune the stock engine. They’re such good motors and they sound so good.

I have a question though, what were you cutting the transmission for?

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    I really do envy people that have the patience to build, turbo and tune the stock engine. They’re such good motors and they sound so good.

I have a question though, what were you cutting the transmission for?
    I cut the trans apart because I'm re-positioning the motor more upright for turbo clearance

My Cars
    turbo e36
    The time has come!

Motor Assembled!

Motor and trans installed for the last time

I decided to break in the motor in NA, less variables, and gives me time to make manifolds instead of rushing through it.

WELL GUYS SHE LIVES!!!! Fired right up, made oil pressure instanly, holding 185 coolant temp, small leak from thermostat housing, but aside that, MISSION SUCCESS!!!

I am the proud OWNER/BUILDER of the FIRST/ONLY 20 Degree E36 in the US!!

Its been almost a year, extremely stressful, taxing project, but oh my god did it feel good to drive this thing again...If you made it this far, your awesome, thank you for checking my sh^t out, and thank you for the support. We're just getting started, stay tuned

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Been working on Ilsa lately...lots of progress on the intake manifold

The only reason I am making an Intake manifold is because, the stock one simply wont fit with the rotated motor. Ok here's the concept i came up with and where I started. Simple, cost effective, thick wall material, should be sweet!

Haven't welded in a few weeks...knocked the dust off

Tubies attached to flange

Tubies, backing plate, and stacks

Flow!

Almost complete

Final Prep

I am really digging how this is turning out!

Waiting on some rod, and some final components, then it'll be time to burn it all together. This has been a very fun project!

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    Nice fab work on that intake.

Is that flange a one-off, or is it commercially available?

Several vendors make exhaust flanges, but I’ve not found a good source for the intake side of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by SilburE36 View Post
    Nice fab work on that intake.

Is that flange a one-off, or is it commercially available?

Several vendors make exhaust flanges, but I’ve not found a good source for the intake side of things.

Thanks alot man...I've been having alot of fun with it.

As for the flange, its kind of a one off. My brother and I designed and machined it. Not really looking to sell any of them.

My Cars
    LS E46
    That intake is awesome

My Cars
    turbo e36
    The intake manifold is complete. That was a ton of welding...Pressure tested and ready to jam! I am very tired. enjoy!

Drove around a bunch tuning, first impression, feels good, sounds different, throatier, no loss of drive ability which is nice, top end rips. I am very pleased =) its almost turbo time

My Cars
    turbo e36
    OK little update..

Making Chinese/Ebay garbage less "garbagey"

Weight Reduction, this thing was HEAVY

Viton O-ring Added

Added French Bearings and shaft seals Ooh La La

'

So I've got her pretty much dialed in as far as tune, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE...the only change was the intake manifold...well and the billet flange that reposition the injectors much closer to the port....but Holy crap, plenty of torque down low, no power loss and she screams above 4.5k. This is definitely the coolest thing I have ever made haha...

Next up, TURBO MANIFOLD!

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Alright guys, rome wasn't built in a day...here's a little update for ya's

Since I completed the Intake manifold, it was time to switch focus onto the hot side of things...

I am utilizing a V-band Inlet turbo so went with a low angle 6-1 style merge collector, made with hand tools, lmk if you guys want to see how?

Did a little warm-up run/ back purge test

Burn it down

Turned out very niceeee

On the other side of things...I drew up this manifold flange, it has every feature imaginable, 3-d oval to round transition, weight reduction, stand offs for welding, etc... I just couldnt bring my self to put some crappy flange on my baby. My brother machined it out of a single block of 304 stainless

Hopefuly that tickles your pickle a bit, waiting on a bunch of elbows and 45's then we'll keep jammin'

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Oh man... that flange is purdy

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    Oh man, That merge collector is the bomb. Wish I had thought of a V band when I built mine, I went into a flat T-3 flange instead.

I would imagine the V band saves space and provides unlimited rotational positioning. I had to re-fab my collector/flange multiple times due to clearance issues.

So... how did ya do it? Trial and error, or did you use some software/calculations? I watched Pazi’s YouTube video where he makes his own collector/manifold.

Nice work though, looks awesome

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast