Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Substance D's hobo/budget/turbo/daily drifter build (3yrs of pics)

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    Oh man... that flange is purdy
    Hehe thanks man! Looks insane in person

Quote Originally Posted by SilburE36 View Post
    Oh man, That merge collector is the bomb. Wish I had thought of a V band when I built mine, I went into a flat T-3 flange instead.

I would imagine the V band saves space and provides unlimited rotational positioning. I had to re-fab my collector/flange multiple times due to clearance issues.

So... how did ya do it? Trial and error, or did you use some software/calculations? I watched Pazi’s YouTube video where he makes his own collector/manifold.

Nice work though, looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! My last setup was T3 flange, and I am beyond sick of turbo and wastegate gaskets, so V Band was a must this time around.

As for the the collector, basically, I modeled exactly what I wanted in solidworks, then converted it to sheetmetal, once you do that, you can flatten the sheetmetal part, and print it out on paper to scale. trim the paper, boon done perfect template...I made a video of the actual cutting and stuff, check my YouTube soon

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Ok guys, here it is, the long awaited Top mount V-band Inlet Turbo manifold!!

IF that doesn't get your juicy juice flowing, you need to check your pulse!

I am beyond stoked on the out come, and cannot wait to see how it performs!

Its a strange feeling looking down into your engine bay, and seeing countless things that you made yourself. Now I just need to fill in the blanks, and get her dialed in. Stay tuned for the payoff!

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Ok guys here we GO!

Manage to whip a 3" SS down pipe, mid pipe and exhaust for the beast...

Then I plumbed up the intercooler, and just COULDN'T resist taking her for a spin!

Here's a Log of first drive.

Log by Ryan Sebok, on Flickr

I thought I put a 14psi spring in it, but it was only a 7psi... Either way, the wastegate is ROCK SOLID. This was a 5th Gear WOT pull!

I am so excited, Im pretty sure I've built the best sounding E36 on the planet...if not, then definitely the best sounding M52 unquestionable. I cant wait to turn her up!!! I have to finalize a few small things, but its all bleed'in coming together. Track days coming up in about a month, I should have her set on KILL by then. Thank you guys for sticking it out with me and seeing this 2 YEAR long project to fruition. The best has yet to come...Enjoy the noise...

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    megalogviewer. That takes me back. Glad it's working. You think it's just the spring that's keeping you at half a bar? The spool looks very gradual and tapers off up top. Might not be the WG. Could be a boost leak.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    megalogviewer. That takes me back. Glad it's working. You think it's just the spring that's keeping you at half a bar? The spool looks very gradual and tapers off up top. Might not be the WG. Could be a boost leak.

Haha Dinosaur Tech for a Dinosaur car, but hey, dinosaurs were some of the most powerful creatures on earth =P

So I got the spring thing figured out, I got this wastegate 2nd hand, and all the paint is pretty much worn off the springs, hard to tell whats what, but I did put a 7psi spring in it the first time, and got 7psi. I probably have some boost leaks, I kinda slapped her together just to try it out, but I definitley had a HUGE exhaust leak at the head...I only put 1 or 4 nuts holding it on...So i got the nuts I ordered today, put those on, tightened everything up, and slapped a 14psi spring in it.... Big difference in spool up, the last log was 3k-4k wot and I would barely get 5 psi...this log is 2.8-3.8 and we were on track to hit 1bar at 4k. My goal was full boost by 4k, Im in the neighborhood. On my last setup I could get 20psi by like 3400...but I noticed, the car wasn't really fast untill 4k...I also keep letting out of it right before full boost because I haven't finished the Wg Dump, So when it opens up, I get a face full of exhaust in the cab, awesome. Ima keep at it!

For those who dont understand what your looking at:

Top is RPM TPS and MAP

Middle is MAP and DUTY Cycle

Bottom is AFR and IAT

My Cars
    turbo e36
    YOSHI you were right....Major boost leak...I forgot to plumb the iac

Well guys, I screwed up!

Cooked the headgasket just days into being boosted haha....totally my fault, I was rushing, and it has been so long since I was turbo...I had overboost turned OFF, I had a major boost leak, I got to an untuned part of the map, and POP. The last time she was boosted, we were running straight E85 which is very forgiving...91 octane is like a hair trigger, and the gasket paid the price...So had to tear the whole top end apart...LESSON LEARNED

Might have been a blessing in a disguise...Exhaust valve guides were leaking alot...this is only 10k miles...

So turn that frown upside-down, and lets make some gains while we're in here!

De-carbonizing that burnt oil, yuck

No going back now!

OoOoOoweeeee

All of the above...x6

I took painstaking effort not change the port shape or open it up too much... just did a basic gasket match, bowl blend, and got rid of the casting flash...Im still debating whether or not to do the intake side...Either way I'm pleased...and I probably wouldn't have addressed this without blowing the HG so yea, onward and upward!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Good thing head gaskets are like fuses and pop before something worse happens! Might as well gasket/port match the intake side while you're there too. Sucks that you had a setback but I'd still call this a win.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Good thing head gaskets are like fuses and pop before something worse happens! Might as well gasket/port match the intake side while you're there too. Sucks that you had a setback but I'd still call this a win.
    I totally agree, it could have been so much worse. I learned my lesson, I need to focus, I've been burning the candle at like 3 different ends. Im going cut-ring so no more Mr.Nice guy, this motor is going to make jam or meltdown Rawr

Ok heres an up date for ya's

Got the head back from machine shop... the spec is:

Cutring Gasket
    New Guides
    New Seals
    Ferrea Competition Exhaust valves
    Oem Intake valves
    Decked
    M50tu Springs
    M54b30 Trays and lifters
    M54b30 Intake Cam
    M50b25NV Intake cam as exhaust

Big thanks to Someguy2800 for the cam and these nifty NV timing blocks, makes timing a breeze and he makes all sorts of custom timing blocks hit him up!

Cut rings are badass, should have done it the first time!

Also designed and made this billet thermo housing. I plan on doing a rear mount rad eventually

Torqued!

Should be up and running sometime later this week. Going to take it EASY, and get my tune in order before leaning on it too hard. Will let ya know how it goes

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Bruh, 3d printing those expensive tools sounds amazing! Got a link to downloading them? I would love for these to be on the dual vanos stuff too.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Bruh, 3d printing those expensive tools sounds amazing! Got a link to downloading them? I would love for these to be on the dual vanos stuff too.
    Someguy2800 makes the 3d printed blocks, he makes all sorts of custom blocks and will even make you ones to your own timing specs! Hit em up!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    That manifold is sweet! I love that you can access all of the 24 nuts pretty well. And the sound is incredible.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    That manifold is sweet! I love that you can access all of the 24 nuts pretty well. And the sound is incredible.

Hey thanks alot man! To be honest, there are still 2 nuts that are a pita haha. But overall a huge improvement.

OK massive update!

Titanium Hardware for manifold

All reassembled!

Did a couple days of tuning, easing into it this time around. The fuel map is sorted, still playing with timing, but it looks like she's holding together! =D

15psi 3rd-4th Gear Pull 3.15diff
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B4p3lhjnGhA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Also have been doing alot of testing of the Billet Thermo. I have a 88c thermostat, and only a pusher fan, and the car runs 190-197 sitting in traffic, I am very pleased.

She's pretty much ready for an event... Im going to setup flex-fuel, throw more boost and timing at her and go have some FUN!!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    That's pretty sweet! I hope those bolts work out for you. I wouldn't expect any real trouble being as there are 4 of the damn things for every exhaust port, Lol.

Regarding the rear mount rad, so far I would advise against it for a street driven car. But if you do it, maybe I can learn something from you! My current setup is great for drifting, but not great at all for cruising down the freeway. Kind of odd..

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    That's pretty sweet! I hope those bolts work out for you. I wouldn't expect any real trouble being as there are 4 of the damn things for every exhaust port, Lol.

Regarding the rear mount rad, so far I would advise against it for a street driven car. But if you do it, maybe I can learn something from you! My current setup is great for drifting, but not great at all for cruising down the freeway. Kind of odd..
    Im not really worried about the bolts, the flange doesn't get hot, I anti-seized em all, and like you said, there's 4 per hole >_< haha, I've never done a rear mount before, but that's never stopped me. I was looking through your thread to try and find pics of your setup, but couldn't find the rear? I plan on doing aluminum hard lines under the car, with an soft lines to and from radiator, and a good-old Taurus efan. I think a big mistake alot of people make, is trying to keep the stock diameter the whole way. You add a ton of length to the system, IE pressure drop, I plan on necking it down pretty significantly. We'll see!

Many Thanks!

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance D View Post
    Im not really worried about the bolts, the flange doesn't get hot, I anti-seized em all, and like you said, there's 4 per hole >_< haha, I've never done a rear mount before, but that's never stopped me. I was looking through your thread to try and find pics of your setup, but couldn't find the rear? I plan on doing aluminum hard lines under the car, with an soft lines to and from radiator, and a good-old Taurus efan. I think a big mistake alot of people make, is trying to keep the stock diameter the whole way. You add a ton of length to the system, IE pressure drop, I plan on necking it down pretty significantly. We'll see!

Many Thanks!
    If you're on facebook there's a big group called "drift car builders" with a few threads about rear mounts in it. Everyone says the key is -16 or -20 lines, 55gpm pump, and at least 4000CFM of fan.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Well some sweet, some sour, such is life...

Got her all back together after blowing the HG...Things were looking up. finished the billet thermostat housing AN conversion with this custom radiator.

Heres a 3rd-4th gear pull

Some Rainy day fun

But...I have been chasing smoke...I HATE oil smoke...I have oil smoke puffs on revs since I built my motor. I have tried open atmosphere CCV, running a Secondary Air pump as a Vaccum pump, Exhaust venturi CCV, and even hooking up the CCV to the intake manifold with check valves like a normal PCV....Nothing has helped, I have brand new valves seals and even guides...still, smoke on free rev. I have run as much as 10in/vc and that helped a little bit, but it was not possible to maintain that level of vaccum under boost without dry sump $$$.... I plan on tearing apart my bottom end, and drilling the Valve covers for 2 -10 ports and just trying to keep CC-pressure at 0.

I'll leave you with a video of me thrashing my brothers truck, 1973 C10 454 that we just got done Megasquirt-ing.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I ran an CCV setup that went to the intake pipe to the turbo. That way, it's always pulling vacuum. Especially under load. But that type of puffing smoke in my experience was because the seals on the turbo were going.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    I ran an CCV setup that went to the intake pipe to the turbo. That way, it's always pulling vacuum. Especially under load. But that type of puffing smoke in my experience was because the seals on the turbo were going.
    Yeah, when I did the PCV setup, I had it Y off to the Intake manifold, and also pre-turbo intake with check valves. I also hooked up a boost gauge to my valve cover, to actually see what the hell was going on in there...I couldn't get any significant vacuum under boost. Normally I would suspect turbo seals first, but the motor did as soon as I got it running, which was NA. I thought maybe it would "break in" It did not. I have 2 different heads, new valves, seals and guides... Im ready to say its the rings. Wont know till I get it all apart though X-(

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    but why bother going to the intake mani at all? Just do it straight pre turbo.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    but why bother going to the intake mani at all? Just do it straight pre turbo.
    Alot of OEM turbocharged vehicles have a similar system. There isnt Vacuum in the pre-turbo intake pipe. You need a mostly sealed system to generate real vacuum, you don't get vacuum till the intake manifold, because of the closed throttle plate. When you open the throttle vacuum goes to 0. Maybe at full boost there is slight vacuum in the intake, but not enough in my case. I wanted to pull significant vacuum on my motor to try to get the rings to seal better.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    At full boost... there's boost in the intake. Am I missing something? Pre turbo, there should always be some vacuum as long as the motor is physically running.

My Cars
    turbo e36

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Melted Head

Smoked Pistons

Cracked Block

DO OVER

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    whoever cleaned your motor did a good job. Mine came back after being hot tanked and still had crud on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast