Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: testify's E36 Sedan DSP Build

My Cars
    3 Series
    Well, I ripped everything apart today. Everything that would come apart, anyway.

The e brake cables are stubborn enough that I gave up trying to get them loose, and the axles are seized in the TAs. I've read these are common issues.

I'm really disappointed with the axles because I have a speed sensor broken off in the driver side TA and need to get it out. Going to be difficult or impossible with the axle in the way.

Aside from thise two things everything came apart really easy. These cars are easy to work on and dropping the entire rear assembly alone with a jack is not nearly as precarious as some people seem to think it is.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by testify; 09-18-2017 at 06:55 PM.

My Cars
    3 Series
    I got the front end back together.

Just waiting on a reinforced, powder coated subframe from Garagistic to arrive tomorrow. Really fast service with these guys. Between not having to mess with removing the subframe bushings, the welding, and the powder coating, I think it's going to be the best $200 I've ever spent.

My Cars
    3 Series
    I got the rear end of the car back together. These cars are so easy to work on. Much easier than the Subarus and the Hondas that I'm used to. I'm really enjoying this build.

My Cars
    90 325
    Bad heatshield! Bad!!

May as well put inner and outer tie rods on it while you're there...fairly cheap and it looks like they have already seen some torch time to get them to cooperate.
    Back into a BMW, this time a track rat....and it won't be BMW powered and no, not a V8 either!
    Couldn't help myself, boosted e36 m52 street car in progress also!

My Cars
    3 Series
    Yes, I was a bit rough with the heatshield, but I promise it bent right back.

Honestly, dont think the car has ever been aligned in its lifetime.

I do have a set of inner and outer tie rods to go in. I'm holding off on that until I bring it down to my friends house since he has wrenches large enough, and can give me an extra set of hands to align the car afterwards.

My Cars
    3 Series
    Well, it's all back together. I've still got a lot to sort out though. I'm going to have to lower it a little more and do some rolling. And the driveshaft is vibrating.

I'm debating on whether to just throw a new guibo and carrier bearing in there, or go grab a fancy one piece driveshaft and throw it in there. I'd really love to never have to worry about the weak points in the OE driveshaft again. I'll probably grab a DSS Chromoly shaft.

Last edited by testify; 10-22-2017 at 02:07 PM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    If you’re worried about DSP SCCA rules have a read through the rulebook. I’m not supremely confident that a 1 piece driveshaft is Street Prepared legal.

And do some research into the 1 piece driveshafts from DSS. There have been a lot of complaints about vibrations. It’d be cheaper to get a rebuilt driveshaft from Turner.

My Cars
    3 Series
    Thanks, I will read up on the DSS before I waste my money.

I'm not going to be doing much autox anymore because I have a really badly mangled wrist that is permanently damaged. I dont have much range of motion, and deal with constant pain. So this has just turned into a "throw parts at it and make it drive awesome" type build now. Might do some track days, maybe try a drift event.

It's liberating, really. For 10 years everything I did to a car had to fit into that rule book. I really enjoyed the structured, methodical path of modding the car to class limits. It really stimulated my left brain. It got to the point that I would look at any car haphazardly modded outside the rules, in any venue, with total disdain.

I should probably ask a mod to change the title of the thread to avoid confusion.

My Cars
    3 Series
    Removed my climate control unit to send off to be repaired. I'm amazed how easy it pops right out on these cars. No tools necessary.

Then I removed the rear door panel to take a stab at popping out a dent just below the window. It didn't pop out as well as I had hoped. But there is body work in this car's future, so it will get fixed.

My Cars
    3 Series
    So I was just working on getting the transmission out to install a clutch, and noticed the output shaft on the transmission has all sorts of play in it.

The transmission is otherwise working fine, so I think I'll take the transmission to a shop and hand have them swap in a new bearing.

I did end up ordering a DSS one piece driveshaft. I will definitely report on my experiences with it when it gets here. I read a lot about one piece driveshafts causing vibrations, but I did not see any directly talking about the DSS shaft. The DSS shaft has a CV at the trans end and a u joint at the diff end. It looks like most other shafts are either u jointed at both ends or hard mounted, still trying to make use of the guibo at the transmission end.

My Cars
    3 Series
    And It's a good thing that tail shaft bearing is messed up. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have realized or paid attention to the fact that I apparently have a Getrag in my car instead of a ZF.

I guess they put Getrags in 328s for the first 6 months of 96, and my car was built 4/96.

I probably would have ended up paying for a repair, reinstalling, and realized something was wrong when I went to install the driveshaft.

My Cars
    3 Series
    Interesting night. I went out to drive the car through the process necessary to ready the emissions monitors, and things went down hill fast, err, slow, since the driver front caliper is apparently frozen....

Hope it didn't cook the wheel bearing.

My Cars
    3 Series
    Gettin there...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12