Thread: E36 LS swap - high mount A/C compressor

My Cars
    98' M3/LS2; 97'' 328i

E36 LS swap - high mount A/C compressor

Has anyone been able to fit an A/C compressor high mounted on the passenger sit and clear the hood and shock tower?

I have a dry sump pump occupying the stock A/C compressor location.

I've looked at the Sanden and R4 high mount sets up but I am not sure it they will fit.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    I'm in the process of doing this right now. I'm using a Holley bracket with the R4 compressor. I have Corvette accessories. The compressor barely clears. I am going to have to make some room for the hose block that bolts to the back of the compressor (dent/ modify strut tower).

If you used the Fbody or GTO accessories it would probably be really close, but I suspect it would clear.

My Cars
    98' M3/LS2; 97'' 328i
    Good info. I'm running corvette offset accessories also.

Would the Sanden not fit?

Could you post some pics of your installation?

Thanks
    Brandon

My Cars
    95 LS1 M3
    I would love to know this also. Thanks for making the thread
    Race/Street Wheel stud conversion kits and spacers --->www.MotorsportHardware.com
    95 M3 7.1L LSX

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    I don't know if the Sanden will fit. The R4 is a tight fit as it is, the Sanden seems to hang out more than the R4. Depending on where your mounts locate the engine, the R4 can clear the shock tower without issue. I have attached photos of front, side and where the interference is at on my car. Keep in mind my subframe is lowered 3/4" because of a 4L80 swap. I also have the engine pushed back as far as I can (long story for another time).
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    I just swapped my engine mounts to a set of poly mounts for an e30 24v swap. This made it possible to move the engine forward enough to make this work. I hade to grind some of the excess material off of the hose block, it has approx 1/4 of clearance now.

A set of Fbody accessories will work, no question about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    98' M3/LS2; 97'' 328i
    Thanks again. I have the Vorshlag mounts and Corvette offset accesories (but F-body locations).

Did you try or look at any other mounts besides the Holley? Or was the Holley the best option?

My Cars
    96 LS1 328is, 06 330i
    Mike@JTR suggested to shave the AC compressor bracket down 1/4". That might be an easier solution.

I did it for my car and there is plenty of clearance now.

I'll take a picture tonight. Only disclaimer is that I haven't tried running it on a belt yet, but I imagine the tensioner could pick up 1/4" slack...

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Speed View Post
    Thanks again. I have the Vorshlag mounts and Corvette offset accesories (but F-body locations). Did you try or look at any other mounts besides the Holley? Or was the Holley the best option?
    Holley was the better option IMO. It looks factory and keeps the engine somewhat symmetrical. Alt on one side, a/c on the other. Everything else looked too wide and the prices were a bit much to try and find they don't work.

When I originally did the swap I used the New Age Hot Rods bracket that utilizes a 4 cylinder compressor in the stock location. Like you, I need that area for other "stuff."

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by jai5 View Post
    Mike@JTR suggested to shave the AC compressor bracket down 1/4". That might be an easier solution. I did it for my car and there is plenty of clearance now. I'll take a picture tonight. Only disclaimer is that I haven't tried running it on a belt yet, but I imagine the tensioner could pick up 1/4" slack...
    What bracket did you use?

My Cars
    96 LS1 328is, 06 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    What bracket did you use?
    Stock F-Body AC bracket.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by jai5 View Post
    Stock F-Body AC bracket.
    Gotcha. I'm assuming in the stock location? If so, that's good info. However, it doesn't apply to a high mounted situation.