Thread: Plug Housing rebuild Parts ?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840CI

Question Plug Housing rebuild Parts ?

Can someone comment and give direction on rebuilding these plugs? I would only be guessing on these.
    I’m trying to rebuild the connectors for the heater valves and pump as they have crumbled internally, and each pin originally appears to be made of 4 separate parts, may be just the way they fall apart. I’ve rebuilt the light connectors but these are different and are called “water tight”
    On this page are what I think fits these plug housings.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...65&hg=61&fg=15
    not sure what the .5-1 and 1-2.5 are? Thought it was the dia. Of the connector pin/hole?
    It looks like I want

But on this page it list a kit/pack of several, with no quantity or numbers so I don’t know what’s in this
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=61&fg=15

61131382248 on that page
    While you're down there ...

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    The parts catalog is becoming useless for the electrical contacts and connector housings.
    Over the years the individuals modifying the early model vehicle catalog pages have deleted many parts images and parts listings, I assume to allow all the vehicle series to fit on a DVD. Sometimes I still reference the original large format microfiche to locate the more detailed original parts listing.

The dealer orders electrical connector repair kits (in the 90's there use to be 4 kits, but who knows how many now) with the most common connectors and connector housings.
    So your local dealer may be the best source to identify the parts you need if you can get the counter person to fetch the electrical connector repair kit.
    That I can tell from my dated info the contact carrier you want are in kit# 4, p/n:90-88-6-619-020

After that,
    Almost every BMW OE electrical contact carrier (and OE vehicle part for that matter) has a reference p/n embossed/printed onto it. Sometimes this is only a partial 7 digit p/n (all that is needed to order/look up a part), sometime it is the complete 11 digit p/n and some times the number on the part is not in the BMW retail parts catalog, however it is the starting point.
    So you will want to study the connector housings for numbers and post those numbers and images if the connectors and pins p/n's below don't work.

The "Snap-in receptacle waterproof" contact are a molded contact assembly w/pigtail wire. So items 1 & 2 in the first URL is the style used on the heater valve & pump.
    The supplement column (0,5-1,0mm(2) & 1,0-2,5mm(2)) is the wire size and you should reference the ETM as the wire size is designated on the schematic to select the correct contact.

"Snap-in receptacle 2.5 watertight" is the style, 61130007442 is a female contact to be used for wire size range from 1.0-2.5mm(2) and 61130007444 is a male contact to be used for a wire size 1.0-2.5mm(2).
    Again you will want to reference the ETM for the correct wire size used.
    If you are changing there contact pins you will need to unwrap the harness and splice (solder and shrink tubing) the new contact pigtail into the harness and re-wrap the harness.
    The real deal BMW harness tape is p/n: 61 13 6 902 588.

My best guess for contact carriers,
    That I recall, the heater valve is a 3-pin round carrier and the pump is a 2-pin carrier.
    Typically the cable contacts will be female. At least the power sourcing pins will be female.
    Contact carriers from my "Electrical Connector Repair Kit" parts list!!
    The p/n for a black 2-pin contact carrier female is 61-13-1-378-400 (contact carrier on wiring harness )
    The p/n for a black 2-pin contact carrier male is 61-13-1-378-404 (contact carrier on pump )
    The p/n for a black 3-pin round contact carrier female is 61-13-1-378-410
    The p/n for a black 3-pin round contact carrier angled female is 61-13-1-378-412 (require angle contacts - maybe NLA)

Have Fun,
    Rod...
    Last edited by m6bigdog; 09-11-2014 at 01:50 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840CI
    Thanks!
    ok, not sure what to do about the kit then, as it is the most cost effective way to get multiple pigtails.
    i have the plug housings, and your numbers match up.
    and i can measure the wire and its 1mm, so i need
    While you're down there ...

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Quote Originally Posted by m10n View Post
    Thanks!
    ok, not sure what to do about the kit then, as it is the most cost effective way to get multiple pigtails.
    i have the plug housings, and your numbers match up.
    and i can measure the wire and its 1mm, so i need

The Electrical Connector Repair Kit is very expensive and not intended for the DIY'er and you would end up with crimpers & connectors you would never use.
    The only reason I included the p/n for the kit was so you could help the BMW parts counter guy find the kit within their service center.

You will want to just order the individual contacts in the quantities you need and Gault BMW would be a good place to get them at the best pricing.

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    All of the actual contacts are standard Amphenol (AMP) parts available from a lot of suppliers. Not just bmw.

The plug housings are mostly specific to bmw with special keying (although still made by AMP). Those would have to be bought from bmw but a lot of them are NLA.

If the plastic housing is still ok its not hard to repair.

I'm traveling right now. PM me if you need the amp part numbers and I'll dig them out when I get home.

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    AMP/Tyco is now http://www.te.com/catalog/menu/en/19231. Look in their line of 2.5mm terminals. Also look in the e36 (and other models) section of the ETK, more/better electrical bits.
    How come the middle half of any project always takes the most time?

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Quote Originally Posted by affa View Post
    All of the actual contacts are standard Amphenol (AMP) parts available from a lot of suppliers. Not just bmw.

The plug housings are mostly specific to bmw with special keying (although still made by AMP). Those would have to be bought from bmw but a lot of them are NLA.

If the plastic housing is still ok its not hard to repair.

I'm traveling right now. PM me if you need the amp part numbers and I'll dig them out when I get home.

Believe it or not, BMW still has a good stock of early connector housings and pins.
    Let it be known, a lot of the connector housings were never available as repair parts and the only option was to buy a harness or scavenge a connector housing off a used harness.
    IMHO, wiring harnesses are gold to anyone that does custom electrical harnesses or harness repair.

For ordering what is available, the big deal is knowing the part numbers since the early series vehicle parts catalogs have deleted many of the listing pages and that makes the contacts and connector housings more difficult to find but as Bill indicated you just might locate what you need by searching other vehicles series of the same vintage.

I just happen to have the late 90's listings for the Electrical Connector Repair Kits.

My Cars
    '92 850i '94 850ci
    Well? How about scanning it for all of us?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by m6bigdog View Post
    I just happen to have the late 90's listings for the Electrical Connector Repair Kits.
    do you mean this? Repair kit waterproof plug 61 13 1 382 248, consists of:
    61 13 0 007 442 Snap-in receptacle 2.5 watertight 1,0-2,5 MM² 8
    61 13 0 007 444 Circular contact 2.5 watertight 1,0-2,5 MM² 2
    61 13 0 007 446 Snap-in receptacle 2.5 watertight 1,0-2,5 MM² 2
    61 13 1 379 833 Shrinking hose 6X45MM 12
    61 13 8 353 748 Cable connector 1.5-2.5 MM² 12

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/61131382248/