Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So I replaced my M roadster clutch line today

My Cars
    z3
    Doesn't Rogue Engineering know the minimum number of flare is 2?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post

rofl

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Ok, so here is a synthesis of the various posts and conversations on how to do this job

• Bavarian Autosport part No. CBT Tool (optional for compressing the slave plunger during on-car bleeding)

FYI,
    I have the bavauto tool if anyone wants to borrow it.
    -Phil

My Cars
    Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Thrizzle View Post
    FYI,
    I have the bavauto tool if anyone wants to borrow it.
    Where in NYC/LI are you?

My Cars
    Z3 25rstr 325ix X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    Interesting. Double flare on the OEM piece (as expected) but only a single flare on the Roque piece. =(
    It's hard to see if the RE is single or double flare, but the OEM seems to be bubble flare.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    You guys jinxed me!!

I've had slave cylinders out a hundred times (probably well over >100 times) and have even deliberately been rough taking them out (when I knew I was already pulling the trans) to see if the rod would fall out. NEVER HAPPENED!

Until yesterday...

So CMM3 provides me with a slave cylinder, reputed to be from an 850i, to install with his Tilton 2-disc 7-1/4" clutch. I should've known something was up, when I inserted the slave, and DIDN'T have to compress it against the clutch arm. Missed that warning shot across the bow...

With the car just a few feet in the air, I reached in with my hand to push on the clutch pedal, when I heard PHHHTTTT TINK!! I knew what that meant...

Miraculously, I stuck a magnet in, and immediately retrieved the slave piston retainer (I thought this piece would be the hardest to snag) but I called it quits last night before I got the rod out__though I did "see it" with my video-scope, my arms gave out from working over my head before I could snag it with the magnetic tip attached (cuts visibility, so didn't have it on during the exploratory steps).

Fingers crossed...

Update:

All's well that ends well, I guess. Looks like I "missed" the fork (fok!) lever when I put the slave in. Poop (not the exact words used at the time...)!

Neighborhood's going to get a little louder once the starter and c/f airbox are back on

So the takeaway is: make sure the rod bottoms its little ass out in the fork lever, and if you lose the rod in the bellhousing, maybe you can fish it out through the starter opening__that might only work with a 7-1/4" clutch (I have NO intention of ever trying again)...

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Lol. Best reference ever. Don't have a case of the Mondays

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster S52
    Does anyone happen to know the dimension between the bolt holes for the clutch bleed tool? THX!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3MROADY View Post
    Does anyone happen to know the dimension between the bolt holes for the clutch bleed tool? THX!
    It doesn't have to be exact--basically the same dimension as between the bolt holes on the slave--I eyeballed it.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster S52
    Thanks Tib!

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster S52
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    It doesn't have to be exact--basically the same dimension as between the bolt holes on the slave--I eyeballed it.
    Understood. Thanks, but I'm at work and Z is at home. Had a little free shop time so I thought I'd whip one up after work. So, couldn't eyeball it don'tcha know .
    Last edited by Z3MROADY; 05-04-2015 at 08:38 AM.

My Cars
    Z3
    So by replacing the stock line with the UUC line, does this eliminate the dreaded CDV valve? I want to tackle this job myself and it seems the risky part is removing the slave cylinder, is this necessary?

My Cars
    Shoes
    i'm sure it's possible, but it'll be easier to bleed when removed. i just did mine w/ an RE line. bench bled it. knowing there were no bubbles in the slave/line, and the only air in the system would be up toward the master end where i reattached, i simply pumped the slave rapidly in, and slowly let it out a bunch. never touched the bleed nipple. seems to be working fine for now.

removing the slave is fairly easy. just get a 3-piece wobble extension set.
    Last edited by afb; 05-07-2015 at 03:36 PM.

My Cars
    '11 335is vert, '01 Z3M
    Just changed mine last Saturday. UUC line on my S54 M. Thanks for this great DIY.!

I did have a fearful moment when the golf tee broke off in the solid line from the master. Aargh !!
    luckily my son just pressed the clutch and the piece popped out... Made a bigger mess than I hoped for. The brake fluid is really slippery with nitrite gloves on. Paused the whole job to clean up and get fresh gloves.

Pulling the slave and bench bleeding seemed the way to go. Putting the slave back in took some fiddling to get it positioned correctly on the studs, then pushing it in to get the bottom nut started. You cannot see the top stud so I used some plumbers putty to hold the nut in the socket at the end of the swivel and get it started by feel. Did have to bleed the feeder line since I lost a lot of fluid with the golf tee mishap. Rubber vacuum cap may have been better.

Definitely helps to have a helper to get the line nuts off and on with a swivel head line wrench and crows foot. The clutch works much better and I don't need to mash it to the floor to get it to disengage anymore!

Well worth the effort and about 3 hours on a Saturday.

Dennis

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by sjdennis View Post
    Just changed mine last Saturday. UUC line on my S54 M. Thanks for this great DIY.!

I did have a fearful moment when the golf tee broke off in the solid line from the master. Aargh !!
    luckily my son just pressed the clutch and the piece popped out... Made a bigger mess than I hoped for. The brake fluid is really slippery with nitrite gloves on. Paused the whole job to clean up and get fresh gloves.

Pulling the slave and bench bleeding seemed the way to go. Putting the slave back in took some fiddling to get it positioned correctly on the studs, then pushing it in to get the bottom nut started. You cannot see the top stud so I used some plumbers putty to hold the nut in the socket at the end of the swivel and get it started by feel. Did have to bleed the feeder line since I lost a lot of fluid with the golf tee mishap. Rubber vacuum cap may have been better.

Definitely helps to have a helper to get the line nuts off and on with a swivel head line wrench and crows foot. The clutch works much better and I don't need to mash it to the floor to get it to disengage anymore!

Well worth the effort and about 3 hours on a Saturday.

Dennis
    Glad you found this thread useful. The new hose makes a huge difference doesn't it.

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Glad you got it worked out. Every now and then, a BMW hydraulic system can be a pain to bleed properly. It's happened to me too.
    ----------
    NOT with that company any more.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Love the attitude!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Ok, I just replaced my line because the clutch stop had been removed by the PO and it was still hard to get into first at a light. Just finished up, power flushed the whole system at 10 psi (water was at 2%, so it needed it). Just tried it out. No change. Feels exactly the same as before. I had the slave out and upright during the flush and it was rushing through it for quite a while; don't see how any air could be in there.

So, what does that mean? Clutch almost gone? Clutch master? Clutch slave? I had high hopes for this one...
    Sold: 98 M3/4/5 Techno Violet
    Sold: 07 Cayman S
    Sold: 98 Z3 M Roadster
    00 Z3 M Coupe: TC Kline SA, Vorshlag Camber Plates, 255/35/18(F), 295/30/18(R) on APEX ARC8's

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    If the bleed port is not at the top during bleeding, you will not get the air out. This is not the same as having the bleed screw at the top, it must be where the port intesects the bore. If it isn't done right, it doesn't matter how much pressure, how long, or how much fluid you waste through the system, you will not get the air out.

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    The bleed screw was up, but it was hand-held (for several minutes) and the orientation was manipulated, wiggled the piston, etc. Hard to imagine there's still air in there, but it would explain the situation...
    Sold: 98 M3/4/5 Techno Violet
    Sold: 07 Cayman S
    Sold: 98 Z3 M Roadster
    00 Z3 M Coupe: TC Kline SA, Vorshlag Camber Plates, 255/35/18(F), 295/30/18(R) on APEX ARC8's

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Kinda sounds like there's still some air in the slave. Go back to post 55 and re-read the various bleeding procedures. The general consensus is that power bleeding will not cut the mustard on this one.

My Cars
    Z3 25rstr 325ix X5 4.8is
    Could it be a misadjusted clutch pedal?
    ______________2000 Z3__ __1988 325ix turbo______________

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast