Thread: e36 1992 325i m50 Engine - No Start Issue

My Cars
    08 Scion tC, 92 BMW 325i

e36 1992 325i m50 Engine - No Start Issue

Hello all! This is my first post on the forums and sadly is on a negative tone. I recently (3-6 mo) picked up an old e36. Had a cooling system issue, but that has been resolved. The vehicle ran when I bought and was running two days ago. (Did a little driving to test the cooling system) The engine will turn over but stumbles on ignition, turns turns turns stumbles. The fuel pump was whiny when i bought it but had not faltered through the last 6 months. I did run the gas tank almost dry, just to get it to the gas station. put 4 gallons of premium in the tank and drove it home. Now I cannot hear the fuel pump at all and this no start issue. Could it be the fuel pump? After the cooling system rebuild, the next project is going to be the fuel system. I just don't want to be chasing phantoms and have to replace everything. The sending unit functions, i unplugged it and the fuel gauge read E, reads 1/4 full while plugged it. Any advice or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Updates: pulled the harness from the fuel pump and the positive connector is rusted/corroded and I'm not getting any power to the connector. The male side is ruined on the pump as well. I've gotta find replacement pig tails, but the dealership here has nothing they can find. I'm going to have to go to junk yards and see if they got any intact harnesses so I can clip the pigtail and re solder it.

Update #2: Even after putting power to the pump it shows no response. Getting battery voltage at the sending unit, gotta be the pump.

Update 3: Its alive again! After a befuddling amount of phantom chasing, my neighbor saw my folly when I tried to crank over. The fuel rail ground was not re-installed. Plugged it in and it fired right up. Mind bottling, also fixed the sending unit harness I broke by transplanting an old connector from the non-existent ac pump. Works mint. During driving the engine cuts out, my fears of a dying fuel pump are coming to. Could be loose connection to the pump itself. Wiggling the harness get the engine started again. Fortunately I hadn't gone to far and made it back before the engine cut out again. I may have to replace the connector to the fuel pump itself. (It was quite gnarly inside!)
    Last edited by cigma2312; 09-14-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Merged Posts

My Cars
    1992 325i
    Classic fuel pump failure symptoms.