Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Refreshtoration on the 2003 M5

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31

Refreshstoration on the 2003 M5

As many of you know, I recently purchased a 3/2003 M5 with 98k miles in sterling gray. It was just the most unusual set of circumstances and timing that led me to this car. I won't go into the full details about why the PO got rid of it because part of it was personal in nature and had nothing to do with the car but also due to the fact that even the BMW dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong with the car. It had a voltage draw that was causing the battery to go dead within hours. After the dealer failed to find the cause, the car was parked for about a year. During this time, the interior (other than the leather dash and console), mirrors and bumpers were removed from the car and transplanted to another E39. The parts from that car were then swapped into the M5. The owner approached me about the car one day at cars and coffee. He asked me about my touring and I told him of my dream to also have an S62 powered E39 touring. The initial plan was to buy the car as a donor for an M5 touring conversion.

After checking the carfa and going over it with a fine tooth comb, I found that it has absolutely never had a single bit of paint work done. And the dealer did most if not all of the service work. The engine bay is absolutely spotless with no leaks anywhere. The original oil tag is still on the dipstick and it looks like the plenum nuts have never been touched. The condition of the car and the fact that other than the voltage issue and a slightly slipping clutch, the car is mechanically perfect caused me to change my mind about using it as a donor car. I had then decided I would repair the car and then flip it. But then I drove it home. I instantly fell in love and can see why all E39 M5 owners are so enthusiastic about their cars. The E39 M5 is IMO, the most awesome performance sedan out there. It's a gentleman's performance cruiser. Everything about it is as close to the perfect driving experience as I have had. The power and torque in my touring makes the M5 feel anemic but it still has that smooth yet raw feel that just can't be replicated in anything other than an M car. The suspension is perfect and it's quiet but still has a little growl when you get into it.

As many of you know, I have bought/sold several vehicles lately and since my plans to sell the M5 changed, I had to make the decision whether to sell the M or the mint 86 Toyota truck. Which I got cleared funds for today And that being said, I have begun my refreshstoration and will document here.

First of all, I was able to determine that the voltage draw was caused by a hidden radar detector. Why the dealer couldn't figure that out, I don't know but you couldn't see a single sign of it anywhere until I pulled the lower dash. Once that was removed and the battery was replaced, she was good to go. A few weeks ago, I learned you could replace the fading M logo on the trunk and intake plenum without replacing the badge so that has been done. I also replaced the one piece shifter knob/boot (which I can't stand) with an illuminated ZHP. Today from FCP and ECS, I ordered brand new OEM front and rear bumpers covers, trim, grill, valence, fog covers and tow hooks. I also ordered the glass filled plastic headlight adjusters that Stuck mentioned. While I was at work, I had a dent guy come and completely remove the 3 small door dings in the car so it is now 100% dent free. Paint correction will follow soon after I wetsand the entire car with 2000 grit.

Upcoming improvements will be all new interior trim, replacing the M5 seats/door panels (leaning towards caramel seats, door panel inserts and lower dash) and alcantara headliner, removing the window tint, having all 4 wheels refinished in shadow chrome and replacing all the interior lighting with LED's. I should be going up to NOVA to have my clutch replaced as well.

My ultimate goal is to make this car an absolutely pristine example inside and out. It will be all OEM/stock with no absolutely no aftermarket mods (although I may remove the mufflers which can easily be re-installed) because I feel that the E39 M5 is perfect just the way it came from the factory. I will probably end up selling it eventually if I come across a mint low mileage 03 M5 in alpine/caramel.

More photo updates to come soon but this will get us started.

Last edited by RVAE34; 09-04-2014 at 06:38 PM.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Looking good Brandon, will look much better when you get the correct bumpers on.
    Thanks for all of the info today, I ordered the front M5 bumper and associated parts today.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Great great car to restore. You're doing it justice for sure keeping it stock. Looking forward to your updates to it.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Very nice car! what a tremendous sleeper it would have been if you've kept the facelift regular bumpers....
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    E39 540I
    I am so jelly of you guys and the M5's, This will be a walk in the park for you after the wagon.

My Cars
    2000 540i6 Electric Red
    Beautiful. The bumper and mirrors make it a secret M5 which I think is really funny. And can I please see some pics of the 86 Toyota? I love 80s Toyota pickups, especially clean ones.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Thanks!

Here is the thread on the truck in OT

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...xtra-cab/page3

My Cars
    z3
    Still makes me very sad someone would do this to an M5... I don't know why he didn't sell it as a complete car then buy the M5 interior separately to put in his other E39, I bet anything it would have been substantially cheaper to do that... I guess its the price some people pay for convenience!

Glad you are bringing it back to life. Definitely following this thread

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    There's a guy in Baltimore that buys wrecked M5's all day long and parts them out. Clemster on M5boards.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I know Adam well That's where I got all the stuff for my touring.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Cool, he seems really cool. I found him on Craigslist, believe it or not. Told me to hook up with him when I am ready to convert a Touring into an M5.

My Cars
    2003 530 sport/1976 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    Very nice car! what a tremendous sleeper it would have been if you've kept the facelift regular bumpers....
    Agreed. I would have been tempted to leave the regular bumpers on and replace the M5 with a 528 badge. You would have the perfect sleeper.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I absolutely hate the standard bumpers. And even though my touring sounds like NASCAR, it's still kind of a sleeper because no one expects a brown BMW wagon to have 500 at the tires

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by arbuckle View Post
    Agreed. I would have been tempted to leave the regular bumpers on and replace the M5 with a 528 badge. You would have the perfect sleeper.
    Meh.. http://www.autoblog.nl/maken-of-krak...m5-e39-sleeper

M5's need to look like M5's
    Last edited by Dking078; 09-05-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Hey... My touring is already the kraken!!!

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Hey Brandon. If you have to put a price on your wagon how much will it be?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Probably $35-40k.

My Cars
    01 E39 530i,05 E53 4.8IS
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Probably $35-40k.
    There you go guys!

Start selling your kidneys and liver! .......hehehe!
    01 E39 530i - SOLD !
    05 E53 4.8is

Pics of Bianca (E39) and Betsy (E53)

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    You can get a nicely loaded Camry Hybrid for $35,000.

Thinkin the Touring gets more smiles to the gallon.

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    Count me in the crew that likes that sleeper look.That's one of the reasons I've gravitated away from M cars - I like the go without the show. Anyway, nice project!
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Very nice find! Many people that have ridden in or driven my M5 have commented on the smoothness of the power. They all get in expecting a rough and fast muscle car but they find out it is really a smooth torquey luxury sedan. The s62 engine is just a beautiful engine on every level, from it's amazing torque, to its smooth power delivery to the instant throttle response. On top of that, it is actually quite a pretty engine as BMW engines go.

I like your choice of the Caramel interior, it will look very sharp with the Stirling Grey. A pristine Caramel interior will get you a lot of comments from random strangers.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    Azn Ruxury
    You always do it right. Your BMW stable is perfect.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    My friend Chris pointed out the fact that my car was missing the sport button on the control panel. Got a replacement from Clemster yesterday and holy crap, what a difference that button makes!!! It was raining and therefore a bad day to try it out for the first time. All I got was the anti-skid warning the whole time

I was also able to replace the adjusters in one of my sealed 03 lights. What a pita!!!!

Bumpers and associated parts shipped from ECS. I think I will paint them myself even though I refuse to do it in my new garage. I will probably buy one of those temporary garages and turn it into a temporary paint booth.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Just had it inspected at the local Euro shop. The inspector said the E39 M5 was his favorite car so he allowed me kind of go over it with him while he had it on the lift. Passed with flying colors but he did find that the power steering reservoir has a slight leak and that the Guibo needs to be replaced so I will tackle those very soon along with the clutch. He said everything else in the car looked terrific. Glad to know b/c I hadn't really been under the car yet.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Adjusters are all replaced. And I polished the lenses. Nice to have lighting at night

I also just picked up a really nice set of the M5 sport door cards. I will take the luxury ones from the touring and put them in the M5 (since it came with the luxury interior) and then will put the sport cards in the touring to match the seats. Now I just need seats, headliner and mirrors and she will be back to her true form.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast