View Poll Results: What kind of car to get?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Audi A4 (99 and up)

3 25.00%
  • WRX

2 16.67%
  • 3 series (98 and up...has to have side airbags)

6 50.00%
  • Other (tell me in a post)

1 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning project?

My Cars
    '01 Volvo S40

Tuning project?

I'm a junior in high school right now, and I've got an S40 Volvo. My passion has always been performance cars, and I hope to apply for an internship with AMG, Brabus, or BMW M after I graduate. I've been wanting to sell my car and get something better to tune, to kind of make a rolling showcase of my work i guess. I'm taking an engine physcis class next year, so that should help. I have been looking at buying something from $12000-$15500, so that puts me at A4, WRX, and 3 series. Any suggestions on which car to get for the project, and how to get more experience in the tuning field? I figured you guys here be the people to ask

My Cars
    '01 Volvo S40
    bump...anyone?

My Cars
    2013 335i xdrive msport
    A4 and WRX offer most potential and you can probably find a good wrx with some money left over for your tuning needs.
    ~Chris

My Cars
    07 X5, 02 325iT
    Sorry to be jealous, but it must be nice to have 15 grand to buy a car with as a junior. Anyway, if side airbags weren't a must, i'd say throw a '95 M3 engine into and E30, add a nice suspension, 5 lug conversion, and big brakes. You might even end up with money left over. Of course you'd have to get your hands very dirty and you need side airbags so that won't work anyway. Make a long story short, I like the A4. Many people hate the 1.8T, but it's one of my favorite engines. Audi's AWD takes some getting used to handling wise, but I think it goes fairly well in the twisties once you know how to handle it. Also in my experience, girls think it's really exotic, even the ones who think Firebirds are the pinnacle of performance.

BMW CCA Member #480924

My Cars
    1997 328is and 1998 328i
    Volvos rock...

-Prince
    WUTCONE?

My Cars
    2001 Ford Explorer
    I say get a model 2002 and drop an S14 into it...

My Cars
    e30M3, Jeep GC, 2.5RS
    Buck the trend and tune the S40. Cause anyone can have the same car as the next guy.

Check out this site. I worked at a Volvo dealer when the first gen S40 came out. There is a vacuum hose that you can pull to build more boost. Do a search online for this info.

IPD makes some great products in house for many different Volvos, and check out their classifieds too.
    http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.as...=91&RootID=629

Hello, my name is Matthew and I am a closet Volvo fan.

My Cars
    '01 Volvo S40
    Thanks for all the info guys, this is really helping. If you have any more, keep it coming.

"Sorry to be jealous, but it must be nice to have 15 grand to buy a car with as a junior... Make a long story short, I like the A4. Many people hate the 1.8T, but it's one of my favorite engines...Also in my experience, girls think it's really exotic, even the ones who think Firebirds are the pinnacle of performance."
    - Parents mandate side airbags : which is a rip. The A4 is a really cool car, my friend has an S4 and i love it to death, and he's selling it! Too bad he actually knows how much its worth. Haha i wish girls thought it was exotic...unfortunately my environment's a bit out of the ordinary. I go to a really nice private school in North Dallas. A kid at my school drives a $120,000 supercharged escalade and another kid drives a 2004 S4, so the chicks are hard to impress haha. But I don't really have 15 grand, I'm hoping to sell my car for about 11 and get the rest from birthday, job, and parents being nice.

"Buck the trend and tune the S40. Cause anyone can have the same car as the next guy. " - still thinking about it, but fwd is bad news when it comes to driving fast. I've already had torque steer problems...but I probably(ok definitely) drive a little irresponsibly.

Again thanks for the input, keep it comin!

My Cars
    '01 Volvo S40
    bump

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    If speed is your prime concern... either of the boost cars A4 or WRX will be the easiest for you to start with as they are boosted from the factory so upgrades come alot cheaper.

However, since I've been around the block a few times, I'd choose the 3series.

The A4 is heavy... a tank even. The 1.8T engine has plenty of punch after you've thrown money at it, but you'll need to throw money at the suspension and brakes as well. The interior is nice, but rear seat room is non existant for a four door (they should've made that car a two door). What out for certain Audi hiccups. I had a VW Passat which shared the same motor as the A4 ... and the Passat had a reoccuring vacuum lien problem... it was a known issue, but there was no fix for it. Every 30k miles the engine would chop a set of vacuum lines in half requiring $200+ in parts.

The WRX ... well, great car. Subaru service sucks horribly. If you go to the dealer for an oil change and they find out you installed any sort of modification short of a pair of fuzzy dice, they take pictures and document your entire car w/ VIN number and instantly report you to Subaru of America and you're entire warranty gets thrown out the window because if your willing to mod the car you probably have a tendancy to drive the car harder than it was intended and that's abuse and your warranty doesn't cover that. It's a boosted, so it's a great power car ... but subaru's have quirks, plus I'm not a big fan of the way it looks in stock trim, I'd have to make some appearance upgrades.

The 3series is the perfect all around car. It's not the fastest, but it can hold it's own in the handling and braking departments. I'd choose this one. The car is very balanced over all and the motors are known to run over 150k miles without a hiccup with regular maintanence. Plus... you can take this car and drive it through stop and go traffic and then get on the highway and cruise at autobahn speeds all in the same day and drive ... which the other two will not.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '01 Volvo S40
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar

However, since I've been around the block a few times, I'd choose the 3series.

The interior is nice, but rear seat room is non existant for a four door (they should've made that car a two door).
    The WRX ... well, great car. Subaru service sucks horribly. If you go to the dealer for an oil change and they find out you installed any sort of modification short of a pair of fuzzy dice, they take pictures and document your entire car w/ VIN number and instantly report you to Subaru of America and you're entire warranty gets thrown out the window because if your willing to mod the car you probably have a tendancy to drive the car harder than it was intended and that's abuse and your warranty doesn't cover that. It's a boosted, so it's a great power car ... but subaru's have quirks, plus I'm not a big fan of the way it looks in stock trim, I'd have to make some appearance upgrades.

The 3series is the perfect all around car. It's not the fastest, but it can hold it's own in the handling and braking departments. I'd choose this one. The car is very balanced over all and the motors are known to run over 150k miles without a hiccup with regular maintanence.
    The only thing that is really getting me about the 3 series is the price. My dad is already bitching about me being ungrateful : and wanting to get another car. And plus, he won't go for anything lower than a 99, which almost guarantees the 3 series out of my budget...he just told me that today . As for the Audi backseat....i agree. I spent some time on winter formal night in one (sketchiest night of my life) and it was a little...cramped . Right now I am almost leaning subarau, but is the service really that bad? And how long do their warranties go, bc i'm buyin used and the warranty might already be up. And what apperance upgrades? Thanks a ton kev.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The WRX is a very potent little car ... and I've heard quite a few horror stories from the Subaru owners. I used to hang out with them on a weekly basis. I'm sure if you go over to www.nasioc.com, you'll find the horror stories there.

As for appearance upgrades... the car was setup for off-road driving, the car has so much suspension travel and wheel gap it is sick. I'd get a nice suspension and wheels for it to make it a true on-road (not off-road) car. Don't go cheap with the suspension because due to the way the engine is setup with the boxer design, I believe you can go "too-low" which can really mess up the handling characteristics of the car. A friend of mine installed a set of TEIN on his car and they were great. Also, those front headlamps need help... something... anything!

Powerwise... I recommend you consult the guys at Vishnu tuning. I've seen their handy work... very good stuff, highly recommended.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    Couple of Bimmers
    Be a mad awesome and get a 71 Alfa 1750 GTV.

In red.

But I suppose if you must get one of the cars you listed above then I'm going to say WRX. The aftermarket is massive and you won't have to see what it looks like while you're actually driving it.

My Cars
    '01 Volvo S40
    Quote Originally Posted by einhander
    Be a mad awesome and get a 71 Alfa 1750 GTV.

In red.

But I suppose if you must get one of the cars you listed above then I'm going to say WRX. The aftermarket is massive and you won't have to see what it looks like while you're actually driving it.
    haha that would be wicked. But wouldn't look so hot on that application to Brabus... Yeah I would definitely have to do something about those WRX headlights. Yikes.

My Cars
    Couple of Bimmers
    Quote Originally Posted by smhockeydefense
    haha that would be wicked. But wouldn't look so hot on that application to Brabus... Yeah I would definitely have to do something about those WRX headlights. Yikes.

Yeah, they are cleaned up immensely with the black ones of the Japanese STi.

My Cars
    96 M3
    The WRX is an ugly little thing but it gets the job done. My friend really liked his WRX...so much that 3 months later he sold it and got an STI, which i have to say is unbelieveable performance for that kinda money.

My Cars
    '01 Volvo S40
    Quote Originally Posted by einhander
    Yeah, they are cleaned up immensely with the black ones of the Japanese STi.
    i know i don't have the car yet...but anyone know where to get these?

My Cars
    2013 335i xdrive msport
    Hey Smhockey, what private school do you go to? Do you know anyone from Hockaday private school?

and yes, I do miss Texas...
    ~Chris

My Cars
    '01 Volvo S40
    Quote Originally Posted by Preppy
    Hey Smhockey, what private school do you go to? Do you know anyone from Hockaday private school?

and yes, I do miss Texas...
    Haha it's funny you mention, I go to St. Mark's. Yeah I know a lot of people from Hockaday, my girlfriend goes there. Glad to hear you miss Texas, nowhere like it.

My Cars
    1999 323is
    I would have to go with what was said earlier, tune an S40 or V40 both would make great sleeper cars. Not many people tune these but they have potential. Besides its a Volvo, since you have to have side air bags you can tell you have to get a some what safe car. But if you have to get one of those listed, get the WRX. A4's are nice, but not the most relable cars if you buy them used, and 3's get expensive for mods. Check out this site www.s40concepts.net lots of help with those cars. I was thinking of getting a V40 and making a sleeper, but I got a 323iS instead. When I get some money I will mod the bimmer till then I will be happy with stock

Hope this helps

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5
    I think that if you're going to be doing this to show off the car you would want to do as much as possible. That kinda throws the BMW out the window. Everything is way to expensive there.

I'd go Audi because there are going to be a lot of aftermarket parts for it. WRX Would be my next choice.

Remember, you're trying to impress someone. Getting a lot of HP by doing something ANYONE can do is not the way to do it. It's going to take a lot of work so disregard any comments like "a simple boost controller will give you the most HP...ect" You want THAT, as well as something to impress your would-be employer.

My Cars
    '01 Volvo S40
    Quote Originally Posted by Numanoid
    I think that if you're going to be doing this to show off the car you would want to do as much as possible. That kinda throws the BMW out the window. Everything is way to expensive there.

I'd go Audi because there are going to be a lot of aftermarket parts for it. WRX Would be my next choice.

Remember, you're trying to impress someone. Getting a lot of HP by doing something ANYONE can do is not the way to do it. It's going to take a lot of work so disregard any comments like "a simple boost controller will give you the most HP...ect" You want THAT, as well as something to impress your would-be employer.
    What exactly do you mean about doing it differently than other people? I got confused :

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by smhockeydefense
    What exactly do you mean about doing it differently than other people? I got confused :
    Well let me start out by saying I know nothing about boosted cars and their upgrades. Keep that in mind....

While easy horsepower can be had from a simple upgrade with some boosted cars, if it's a simple upgrade, it will not impress who you want to impress. For instance, lets say you can squeeze 40 HP with a chip/tuning upgrade on a boosted car. Definitely do it, but keep in mind that all you did was put a chip in the car. Anyone can do that!

Now, if you pop on new headers or cams by yourself, THAT is something most people won't do themselves and would therefore be more likely to impress the tuners you want to work for.

Don't measure your success with net horsepower, measure it with the work you will put into it. For that reason I say buy cheap, and look for a cheap aftermarket.

My Cars
    '01 Volvo S40
    Haha ok now I understand what you mean. Thanks for clarifying

My Cars
    1987 535(sound provided by Byzanz)
    well its a shame you cant get anything older than 99, but maybe u could try to convert ur volvo to 4wd!!! that would be unique and is sure to impress practically anyone.. as for the awd, imnot a fan of it unless its intended for rally, so if ur gonna make a rally car, go for it, but otherwise, talk ur parents into letting u get something older

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast