Thread: E61 2006 530i 6FL USB Audio Retrofit Success

My Cars
    e34, e60, e61

Red face E61 2006 530i 6FL USB Audio Retrofit Success

Hi All

I’ve been slowly researching and planning this over the last 6 months and had some success over the weekend and wanted to share what I’ve done. One thing that I’ve learned is that there are a lot of different variables that can affect how this needs to be done to get to a working end result. I will not be held liable for any problems that arise as a result of sharing my experience.

The car is an Australian (ECE spec) delivered E61 530i built in 11/2005. It was fitted from the factory with options 644 (mulf1) , 609 (pro nav, ccc), 601 (tv), 620 (voice activation) and 672 (cd stacker) among others. It doesn’t have a TCU (633) module. There was no Aux port previously and no one before me had tried to do any modifications to the car. The whole car had been updated by the dealer to an I-level that was released in 2010 - E060-10-03-501. I could play MP3 CDs in the in-dash CD player.

I ordered a used MULF2HI module from ebay and a new 65412153791 cable kit. The donor car for the MULF2 was a US spec E63 650i with very different options to my E61. I only used a couple of parts from the cable kit. Most of it has not been used.

I already had a laptop setup with INPA, NCS etc and a K + DCAN cable (from here)

The physical changes were simple. No cutting, joining or hacking was needed for the wiring loom. The 54pin white plug that connected to the mulf1 was removed from the loom and the 54pin blue plug that was supplied in the cable kit was connected to the loom. The inner black part of the white plug slid into the blue plug without modification. The aux input wires needed to be plugged into the black plug (pins 4 - violet, 5 - white/red, 22 - white/green & 23 - clear) before it was inserted into the blue plug. The blue plug could then be connected into the MULF2. The fibre cable could be connected without any modification. The USB connection (black round) plugged straight in. The bluetooth aerial had a slightly different plug on the mulf2 and the cable kit had the connector required which could be used to replace the mulf1 plug that was part of the original loom. The mulf2 mounted onto the mulf1 adapter plate. I drilled holes in the adapter plate and used some screws and nuts to attach the mulf2 to the adapter, which then mounted to the car as it did previously. I haven’t run the usb port cable to centre console yet, but will soon. E60s have a different mounting arrangement for the MULF, but I would recommend not having it under the spare wheel where it will get wet (one day).

The tricky part was the coding, but having battled it I now think that it’s not that bad. I did everything with NCSExpert. I added the 6FL option to the VO and wrote it to the CAS and LMA modules. I recoded the CAPPL module and changed the MM_DEVICE option from nicht_aktiv to aktiv. This was all done with the K-line adapter(the black adapter) connected on the usb diag cable. This gave me the AUX Audio option in the Entertainment menu and after connecting a USB key I was able to play the music via USB. I haven’t tested the AUX audio 3.5mm input yet. Unfortunately the MULF2 donor car had a very different option list and did have a TCU which handled the bluetooth work. This meant that the bluetooth function in the MULF2 was disabled and needed to be turned back on for Bluetooth to work for me. I used NCS to read the ZCS/FA from the CAS. I then took the K-line adapter off the diag cable and connected it straight to the car using the DCAN interface. Without closing NCS I then changed the VO so that the manufacture date was #0307 and did not write this to any module. I then executed the CODIERDATEN_LESEN on the 2MULF ECU. I used NCSDummy to create a new FSW_PSW.MAN and enabled the Bluetooth option. I also reviewed all of the other options for the MULF2 and set them to either match the setting in the old MULF1 or as I thought it should be set based on the options in my car. The MULF2 has a lot more options than the MULF1. I executed the SG_CODIEREN job to the 2MULF. After this Bluetooth came back to life. I re-paired the phones and all was good. I’ve tested the voice activation, cd stacker and TV tuner and they all work as before.

I'm very happy with the result and recommend that anyone trying to fit this option to a pre-lci car do a lot of research make sure you're happy with your computer software and diagnostic cable before getting into the coding work. I hope this helps some others with the same retrofit.

BTW - As followed up by Bobbyggx -
    For guys, who have pre-LCI models before 09/2005 prod date (no start-stop button) the 2MULF module codding via DCAN cable won't be possible as the car doesn't have a Gateway module which would translate the CAN communication to the MOST ring as there is no CAN or K cables going into the 2MULF module.

The way it can be coded (to activate Bluetooth or something else...) is to have an ICOM interface (optic) which is attached to the optic outlet in the glovebox and after that coding the 2MULF module using SSD file.
    OR
    You can install the 2Mulf module in a LCI car and get it coded via DCAN cable and afterwards put it back in your car.

My Cars
    e34, e60, e61
    I've finally completed all aspects of this retrofit. Running the cable from the module at the back to the centre console was slow tedious work, but not complicated. I had to remove the trim from the boot floor and left side, the rear seat base and left edge back rest, the front left seat, the left b c and d pillar trim and the centre console. The new usb cable followed the same route to the centre as other existing cables and was the correct length when following the other cables. I had to cut a bigger hole in the underside of the centre console to make room for the back of the usb/aux connector. This hole isn't visible once its all assembled.

The whole iDrive system is working better now than it ever has. No more freezing or delays caused by the old ulf gen 1 unit overheating. MP3 playback via USB is also better than it ever was through the cd slot in the dash. There has been no strange blips and pops during playback even though the actual MP3 files are exactly the same. Bluetooth performance has also improved in reliability.

My Cars
    bmw 325i E90
    Hi Myles,
    Thanks for the write up, its very clear, I have a 06 E90 325i, it has bt but not usb and it is not an i drive model. The unit in the trunk is a mulf, and it appears it has failed, cant connect or pair phone and cant access the tel options on the radio. I have purchased a MULF 2 unit, it looks like it is exactly as you have. The cables all fit now as i did pretty much what you did. The car it came out of was an E90 and did have bt so it should be enabled. I should not have to modify my VO as it should already have that option enabled. My question is what do i have to do to get the new module to work in my car.

My Cars
    e34, e60, e61
    Hey Paul. Its quite a bit different to what I did, but I would guess that if you've gone from a mulf1 to a mulf2-high you will need to change the VO to add the 6FL option. That will need to be coded into the computer that runs the radio/stereo so that it's aware of the usb input being available. Also, if your car hasn't had a software update since it was new, it will possibly need one as the original version may not know how to handle it the 6FL option. If the bluetooth isn't working on the new mulf it may need to have your VO coded into it. If you've got the VIN number of the donor car I can help you figure it out a bit further.
    Last edited by myles; 02-26-2015 at 04:55 AM.

My Cars
    BMW E60
    Hello I have an e60 09/2004 with LCI CCC and MULF, which is broken. I added mulf2 High basis svs also added $6FL to the VO, fa-write on CAS and LMA, default coded CGATE, CHOST, CAUD, CTUNE, CAPPL code car completed with NCS on K + Dcan cable. But on the CCC I can not find USB, and I can't check the box " Bluetooth communication active", i press the "i" and nothing happens, which I am missing? Please help me !!!
    Last edited by shogun; 02-19-2018 at 08:45 AM. Reason: double posts merged

My Cars
    525 E61
    Did you solve it? I have exact the same problem as you with my e61 06/2004 CCC and mulf2 High basis.

Hope you could help me!