My Cars
    2004 X5 4.4i

2004 X5 4.4I part fell out during oil change

Hello,

I was changing the oil in my X5 the other day as I have done 20 times probably on my '04 X5. But this time, three little parts fell out of the canister house. A small black valve, a spring that fits on it and an aluminum cone shape piece that probably houses the other two parts. Does anyone know anything about these and whether or not I'll have to drop the oil pan to fix this back right.

Patrick

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Did any of the 3 parts look like any of the 4 parts in the pic below of the "non-return valve" found in the oil filter reservoir on the N62 engine? I'm not sure if there's a lot of discussion about it...but your description did ring a bell of something I've read about before. See what you can find doing an internet search about the N62 oil filter (or oil pump) non return valve.

Good luck.

Engine - Oil Pump Parts Found In Oil Filter
    SI B 11 09 05
    Engine April 2006
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B11 09 05 dated December 2005.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
    Non-Return Valve Parts Found In Engine Oil Filter During Engine Oil Service MODEL
    E60 (5 Series) 545i, E63 and E64 (6 Series) 645Ci and 645CiC, E65 and E66 (7 Series) 745i and 745Li, E53 (X5) 4.4i and 4.8is equipped with N62 engine

SITUATION
    While performing an oil service, removal of the oil filter may reveal one or more of the following parts have dislodged from the engine oil pump. These parts make up the internal non-return valve inside the engine oil pump. The customer does not complain of loss of oil pressure while driving or does the vehicle exhibit any drivability complaints.

Note : These parts are not related to the oil pressure regulator located within the engine oil pump. The engine will not lose oil pressure while being operated. [NEW]

PROCEDURE
    Replace the engine oil pump assembly.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Any update? Is this what fell out? :
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I guess will never know. Sadly, this thread will be a dead end for the next owner that may have the same issue and runs across it doing a search.

My Cars
    X5 4.4iA -03
    Hi
    I remember discussing a non return valve with my Dad and an old car I once had. Your thread just reminded me as sometimes when I start the car I get a very metallic sound. As if there is no oil. Just for the first turn over of the engine and it doesn't always do it. Would that be the symptoms of a non return valve needing replacing?

My Cars
    325e,M3/4/5,540iA,X5 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    I guess will never know. Sadly, this thread will be a dead end for the next owner that may have the same issue and runs across it doing a search.
    This happened to me and I was searching for something along these lines, so thankfully the thread existed. #4 was what dropped out, which was surprising to me and the first time I've done an old change on my car (newer owner).

Thanks for your post - it was helpful for me.
    Montego/Saddle E91 328i xDrive - Estoril/Cloth Blue M3/4/5 - LeMons 325e - Artic/Black 1998 540iA (shell, for sale or donation towards LeMons)

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by rwh11385 View Post
    This happened to me and I was searching for something along these lines, so thankfully the thread existed. ... Thanks for your post - it was helpful for me.
    Great...glad it was able to help someone.

Yes this happened to me. Parts 1, 3, and 4 fell out.

Parts 1, 3, and 4 fell out.

is there a fix that doesn't include a new oil pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Did any of the 3 parts look like any of the 4 parts in the pic below of the "non-return valve" found in the oil filter reservoir on the N62 engine? I'm not sure if there's a lot of discussion about it...but your description did ring a bell of something I've read about before. See what you can find doing an internet search about the N62 oil filter (or oil pump) non return valve.

Good luck.

Engine - Oil Pump Parts Found In Oil Filter
    SI B 11 09 05
    Engine April 2006
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B11 09 05 dated December 2005.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
    Non-Return Valve Parts Found In Engine Oil Filter During Engine Oil Service MODEL
    E60 (5 Series) 545i, E63 and E64 (6 Series) 645Ci and 645CiC, E65 and E66 (7 Series) 745i and 745Li, E53 (X5) 4.4i and 4.8is equipped with N62 engine

SITUATION
    While performing an oil service, removal of the oil filter may reveal one or more of the following parts have dislodged from the engine oil pump. These parts make up the internal non-return valve inside the engine oil pump. The customer does not complain of loss of oil pressure while driving or does the vehicle exhibit any drivability complaints.

Note : These parts are not related to the oil pressure regulator located within the engine oil pump. The engine will not lose oil pressure while being operated. [NEW]

PROCEDURE
    Replace the engine oil pump assembly.

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Or, do you absolutely have to replace the pump? I'm guessing that the check valve is to avoid having the engine run without oil pressure for a few seconds. Cant a check valve be installed elsewhere?