Thread: Steptronic not working

My Cars
    2002 325i

Steptronic not working

I have 2002 BMW 325i.

The "S" light for sport mode was flickering on and off when in "D" but the car drove fine. If I put it in "S" the light would stay on normally and Steptronic worked fine for manually shifting. I removed the console trim pieces and found that some of the wires from the white and burgandy connectors that go to the PRND -/+ display had been rubbed bare. I thought sure this was the problem. I taped the wires to reinsulate them and put everything back together. Since then the "S" NEVER comes on and Steptronic does not work. The car runs and drives normally in "D" If I move the selector to the left. the LED on the shift plate (beside PRND) comes on for +/- but no "S" on the dash and Manual shifting does not work. I've checked my connections multiple times. I've read that the wires to the gear selector get stressed and break although I could find no sign of this on mine. I thought possibly a switch inside the selector had gone bad (although unlikely that this would occur at the same time as I repaired the wires) I purchased another gear shift mechanism. For testing, I did not connect the mechanical cable but I did connect all of the electronics to the new unit and I have exactly the same symptoms. Could anyone shed some light on my problem at all. It acts as if "S" or Steptronic has been disabled. Is there a fuse somewhere, does something need reset? (I did by the way, disconnect the battery for an hour or so, but to no avail) Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas you may have.

Thank you

Marc

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Anybody?
    i can't be the only one that sport mode and Steptronic doesn't work.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Somebody will probably eventually weigh in... sorry, I've never heard of this. Maybe google steptronic failures or something. From what you're saying, it sounds more electrical than mechanical. Hope you get it sorted out, good luck.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    I'm not leaking anything but the light was flickering when I was driving on a winding road. This could be consistent with the fluid sloshing around. My shifts do feel normal. Any thoughts of symptoms of low ATF in these transmissions?
    Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    BTW, I'm an IT guy by trade. I've Googled, searched, and submitted, this thing forward and backwords and with as many variations as I can think of at this point.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Well the first thing i would do is open the console back up and make sure all the connections down there are tight. I do know that after years of pushing the shifter over to sport mode it can wear the wires. I know you taped them up but one of the wires could be broken or pulled out of a connector.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    I would agree. But, I have to tell you. I must have done that 10 times already. The wires that needed repaired were to the pink and white connectors that connect to the PRND -/+ board on the shift plate. I read about the wires being stressed when you pull the shifter to the left. Although all the examples I found were on e90's not e46's. I also read that the pink connector on the right side of the shift mechanism controls steptronic and manual shifting. Grounding the white/grn wire is supposed to put it in sport mode and grounding either of the blue center wires is an up or down shift. I tried jumping white/grn to ground to force it to sport mode but, that didnt work. I then purchased another shift mechanism. Plugged that in and have the same symptoms. I will go back and check all connectors again but it seems I'm missing something else. Thanks for the reply. All thoughts appreciated.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E46 330i
    Hi Marc325,

I have the same problem as yours. I try searching the internet and reach this thread.

My car won't go into S mode, when push lever to the left, the LED on the shift plate comes on for +/- but no "S" on the dash.
    I try changing a new gear shift mechanism but no luck.

Can you help to advise how you solved this issue in the past, please.
    Thank you very much.