Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wolf in sheep's clothing, poser or just another wagon? I'm havin' fun!

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by GGray View Post
    Buy some V band clamps and get rid of the gaskets they seal much better and are easy to take on and off.

The ECU does not have the ability to switch between tunes you need a cloned ECU to swap. If they cannot get the tune right contact Randy at EPIC Motorsports he is a wizard with the S54.

In back you cannot roll the fenders on the E46. They have to be cut cleaned, then rolled, imagine a U filled with body sealer. Basically you have to cut the bottom of the U in the middle then clean the sealer out then you can roll it flat use POR15 on the cut edge to stop any rust and on any bare metal from cleaning. I am going to be doing my touring in two weeks I will post somewhere not sure on the work I do especially the rear fenders.

You can run 255's in back and front without any issues on 18x9's, in back 265 depending on wheel offset front a 265 is super tight unless you have -3.0 to -3.5 camber.
    Thanks Gary. V bands may be the answer. Depends if he can weld completely around on the collector without removing the headers. Should have done that from the get go but I was trying to save some money.

My plan is for 255s all around. For now I think I'll stay with the 8.5" Rotiforms. If I decide to upgrade I like the Apex EC7s and will go to 9". As you said, there's plenty of room in the back. No need to roll there. I'll just be doing the fronts for now.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhudson View Post
    Thanks Gary. V bands may be the answer. Depends if he can weld completely around on the collector without removing the headers. Should have done that from the get go but I was trying to save some money.

My plan is for 255s all around. For now I think I'll stay with the 8.5" Rotiforms. If I decide to upgrade I like the Apex EC7s and will go to 9". As you said, there's plenty of room in the back. No need to roll there. I'll just be doing the fronts for now.

Jay
    I have had issues on E46's in back with the 255's. I built a 330i track car for a friend 7 years ago we had to cut and roll in back with Apex ARC8 18x9 wheels and Direza star spec tires.

I try to use V bands as much as possible now. They just work better.

Sounds like progress! Should be fun on track!
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    There are ways to have a multi tune on a single ECU. We can do this for a little bit extra if thats something youre really interested in Jay
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie View Post
    There are ways to have a multi tune on a single ECU. We can do this for a little bit extra if thats something youre really interested in Jay
    We'll talk :-)

- - - Updated - - -

New shoes on the way :-) 255/35-19 Pilot Super Sports. Gotta get busy with the fender roller up front. Rears should be OK.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    jay, I cant believe I missed this build. Next swap after my LSE36 is done is to do a s54 in my wagon (01 silver on red sport)

Curious to know the new cc of this motor after you bored it out - that might be a reason contributing to the extra power over stock s54 that youre seeing. Thanks.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Hey Jon -

I don't think it adds too much volume. Standard piston is 87mm. Plus 1 overbore is 87.5mm. Stroke is 91mm. It's too early for me to try to do the math ;-) Pistons have stock comp ratio at 11.5. I'm told these blocks have no room for any more overbore. If you have questions when you get ready for the conversion let me know. If I had it to do over again there are a couple of things I might do differently. Sometimes, in an attempt to keep the budget in check, I make decisions I would like a do-over on.

Jay

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    New shoes yesterday. 255/35-19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around. Did some front fender massaging prior to install. Tight fit but so far no rubbage. With old tires (235/35-19) a 5mm spacer was used in the rear. I've removed it with the 255s but may try adding it back to see if it'll work. A little wider track, more negative camber and better visual. I think I need to do a little trimming in the rear where the metal fender arch meets the bumper cover. This was also the case on my e36. Rainy days so no pics yet.

Jay

My Cars
    e36 m3
    I've had a chance to put a few hundred miles on the car so far. Really fun to drive fast. Can't wait to get it on track. Maybe a little hard to drive smoothly and an exhaust leak that'll have to be resolved.

If you look at the factory tune dyno run (post #43) you'll notice a rather large dip bewteen 4K and 5.2K. Then it picks up. In the final tune, that dip has been lessened quite a bit and there's also a larger bump starting about 5.3K. When driving modestly, there's an increase in power that makes being smooth a little difficult. Trying to describe it....... if I'm accelerating at say half throttle, when I reach a certain RPM there's a power increase that feels like kicking into passing gear.... big time. Even though I'm holding the gas pedal steady. It's very noticeable in first gear because of the lower ratio and 3.64 diff. Also 2nd. I haven't quite figured out at what RPM this occurs but it makes for difficulty trying to accelerate past that point without being full tilt. It causes me to short shift the lower gears to avoid the sudden power increase. I've talked with Dave about this and we'll see if there's anything that can be done with tune to smooth it out some. I don't want to hurt performance but, realistically, this car will be mostly a street car. Wonder if I can switch between 2 tunes? :-)

The exhaust leak seems to be at the flange between the headers and the custom center piece. Seems the tapered gasket provided by Status Gruppe may not be a tight fit. Gets stinky inside and around the car. Not just to the rear. David and I are discussing a resolution.

Just sent the M3 cluster off to have the odo mileage corrected to match the old cluster plus interim mileage. Dave was unable to do it without some special equipment. Car will be down for 10-15 days while this is being done.

Getting ready to order some new/bigger rubber and track pads. Fender rolling to happen soon.

Jay
    Where were you sending the cluster off to for work?

Came out amazing by the way! Can't wait to find and S54 and get going on my car.
    Last edited by xsport652; 04-15-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Hi, my name is Joe

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by xsport652 View Post
    Where were you sending the cluster off to for work?

Came out amazing by the way! Can't wait to find and S54 and get going on my car.
    Sorry for slow response. Sent cluster to:

odo-pro.com, located in Littleton, CO.

Price was $89 including return shipping. One mistake I made was not asking them if they could match the VIN in the donor cluster to my car. I didn't know until I asked why there was a little dot next to the trip readout. Seems it's a "tamper dot". VIN in cluster doesn't match VIN in light switch and/or ECU.

At least now the mileage is correct on the M3 cluster and I have documentation/pictures to show before and after. Should be no issues with future sale, insurance or DMV.

Jay

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    So, in my bigger is always better mode it seems I may have shot myself in the foot a little. Now I’m trying to resolve a problem I created without saying uncle and going back to where I started. And, keeping the cost down if possible.

Previously had 235/35-19 tires on 19x8.5 wheels with 35mm offset. Car sits fairly low on Koni Sports with Eibach Pro-kit springs.

I decided to upgrade to 255/35-19 Michelin PSS using the same wheels. My problem is in the front. Even with fender rolling I’m still getting rubbage under cornering with side load. As far as I know the front camber is maxed out with –1.2 per side. Also, to my knowledge, the front upper strut plates are OE and the pin has been removed for alignment adjustments.

I’d like to increase the camber to at least –2 or maybe even –3. This can be accomplished with aftermarket CC plates. Problem is I’m not sure this alone will fix the problem. I believe the ride height is also a big contributor. The old tires were 25.4” in diameter where the new are 26”. I’d like to raise the front height .25-.5”. The suspension setup on the car currently does not have a height adjustment. A coilover setup would allow height adjustment and more camber adjustment but at a fairly high cost.

I have an idea. I’d like your thoughts on feasibility. The struts on an e46 slide down into a pinch collar on the hub assembly. Tightening the pinch collar holds the strut in place. I’m guessing there’s a shoulder on the strut to keep it from going down below where it’s supposed to. I’d like to raise the strut, in the pinch collar, to accomplish a height increase. I suspect the pinch tightness may not be enough to keep the strut from slipping down in hard bumps so I’m thinking of using an aluminum spacer so that the strut bottoms out .25-.5” higher than before. Seems to me this would raise the body relative to the tire without affecting the spring/shock performance. I suspect an alignment would be required which would be necessary anyway if I do the CC plates for additional camber.

Thoughts, experience, alternative suggestions?

Thanks - Jay

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Hi Jay
    1st really liking the way the car is coming along - great job!

2nd your thoughts on raising the front make perfect sense to me, and because you're only wanting .25 to .5" off lift it seems to be with in a safe amount to work. I know you know this but just to confirm this is the way high dollar coil overs work with separate adjusters at the bottom to raise the shock in the mount and not change spring load preset.

Again car is really coming along nicely!
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 05-08-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Pull the dampers out and make a .25 inch metal ring spacer. I would not go .5 that may be pushing it. You can also slot the upper mounting holes more to get more camber with OEM mounts. Or try getting a pair of E46M3 upper mounts they have some camber and caster in them already with the extra slotting on top you should be really close.

Well Not sure about that... I run ISC coilover's on my touring with 550front and 850 rear springs ( due to touring weight in back) with Hotchkis bars, so far I have been impressed with them along with anyone who rides in the car. And I would say they are inexpensive at $985.00 complete, I did upgrade my springs though.

I started a face book page "Track Wagons!" a few guys are on it already not just BMW basically anyone with a touring, estate, wagon etc...

I SHOULD be at VIR in June if you want to ride in mine with the suspension set up I run.. UNLESS I pull it down for all the upgrades!
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Hi Jay
    1st really liking the way the car is coming along - great job!

2nd your thoughts on raising the front make perfect sense to me, and because you're only wanting .25 to .5" off left it seems to be with in a safe amount to work. I know you know this but just to confirm this is the way high dollar coil overs work with separate adjusters at the bottom to raise the shock in the mount and not change spring load preset.

Again car is really coming along nicely!
    Thanks Oldster!

- - - Updated - - -

Pull the dampers out and make a .25 inch metal ring spacer. I would not go .5 that may be pushing it. You can also slot the upper mounting holes more to get more camber with OEM mounts. Or try getting a pair of E46M3 upper mounts they have some camber and caster in them already with the extra slotting on top you should be really close.

Well Not sure about that... I run ISC coilover's on my touring with 550front and 850 rear springs ( due to touring weight in back) with Hotchkis bars, so far I have been impressed with them along with anyone who rides in the car. And I would say they are inexpensive at $985.00 complete, I did upgrade my springs though.

I started a face book page "Track Wagons!" a few guys are on it already not just BMW basically anyone with a touring, estate, wagon etc...

I SHOULD be at VIR in June if you want to ride in mine with the suspension set up I run.. UNLESS I pull it down for all the upgrades!
    That's exactly what I had in mind with the spacer. If I could find a length of aluminum pipe with the correct ID I could just slice off a couple of pieces.

Do you drive the wagon to work? I told you I need to make a visit one day. Maybe I could kill 2 stones with 1 bird. BW is about the same distance as VIR.

Sorry, I don't do the FB. I tried to look once but it wouldn't let me see the page.

Thanks - Jay

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Jay, they sell 'cheap' coilover adapters that drop into your factory style shocks. Not a brilliant solution but better than shimming strut.
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    Thanks Oldster!

- - - Updated - - -

That's exactly what I had in mind with the spacer. If I could find a length of aluminum pipe with the correct ID I could just slice off a couple of pieces.

Do you drive the wagon to work? I told you I need to make a visit one day. Maybe I could kill 2 stones with 1 bird. BW is about the same distance as VIR.

Sorry, I don't do the FB. I tried to look once but it wouldn't let me see the page.

Thanks - Jay
    I would not go much over 1/4 inch should work fine. The Koni's in my car were not seated all the way down and were about 1/4 inch up from where they were suppose to be due to corrosion in the bottom of the knuckle. I had to clean them to get the ISC lower part to fully seat.

Yep daily driver, 44 miles a day... Haul kids, wood from Home Depot, you name it... I hauled 4 2x4x10's home last week end they barely stuck out the hatch laying on the dash.

I have hauled some junk in mine!

When I go to the track here is the stuff I haul.
    4 wheels/tires 17's
    Tool box, pretty hefty one.
    Track box (large plastic box with stuff in it)
    Jack
    2 jack stands
    10x10 pop up
    cooler
    electric impact gun
    golf umbrella
    helmet bag
    Bag with my HANS, communicator etc
    Bag with clothes, sometimes two if my father goes.

Empty front seat!

Not sure if you go to VIR from your location. We are 3 hours from VIR may not be on the way. Tarheel has a few guys running around in touring's sometimes there are four of us there!
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    I would not go much over 1/4 inch should work fine. The Koni's in my car were not seated all the way down and were about 1/4 inch up from where they were suppose to be due to corrosion in the bottom of the knuckle. I had to clean them to get the ISC lower part to fully seat.

Yep daily driver, 44 miles a day... Haul kids, wood from Home Depot, you name it... I hauled 4 2x4x10's home last week end they barely stuck out the hatch laying on the dash.

I have hauled some junk in mine!

When I go to the track here is the stuff I haul.
    4 wheels/tires 17's
    Tool box, pretty hefty one.
    Track box (large plastic box with stuff in it)
    Jack
    2 jack stands
    10x10 pop up
    cooler
    electric impact gun
    golf umbrella
    helmet bag
    Bag with my HANS, communicator etc
    Bag with clothes, sometimes two if my father goes.

Empty front seat!

Not sure if you go to VIR from your location. We are 3 hours from VIR may not be on the way. Tarheel has a few guys running around in touring's sometimes there are four of us there!
    I've got another issue I have to resolve before I make a trip of that length. Once I do I may drive up to BW to see you all and get a test ride. I've been considering the ISC kit since you mentioned it some time ago.

Jay

My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    I've got another issue I have to resolve before I make a trip of that length. Once I do I may drive up to BW to see you all and get a test ride. I've been considering the ISC kit since you mentioned it some time ago.

Jay
    Just let me know! You have to drive the S54 wagon up here though Pretty sure my wagon will be anti climatic after an S54!

If not i will be at Road Atlanta in Sept with Peachtree.
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Just let me know! You have to drive the S54 wagon up here though Pretty sure my wagon will be anti climatic after an S54!

If not i will be at Road Atlanta in Sept with Peachtree.
    Of course. Wouldn't be much fun without show-n-tell time :-)

Jay

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Hows that wagon driving?
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    Hows that wagon driving?
    Hey Scott! I've been having some issues that are making it less fun than it should be. Exhaust is too loud. Tried a different muff without any improvement. Still looking for a solution there. A leak at the top of the windshiled. It needs a new windshiled gasket. Working on that. Put some larger tires on it and now having rubbage issues. Will either have to go back to the smaller size or get coilovers to be able to get more camber and raise the car a little. Other than that it's awesome! I'll get it sorted out.

Jay

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Keep working at it!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Car is back in the exhaust shop. Still trying to get rid of the droning and a little quieter. It's really annoying driving on the highway. Especially when there's a load on the engine. Fingers crossed for a good result. I prefer to keep a low profile on the street.

Jay

My Cars
    E46 M3, E28, E38s, E46
    If you have questions when you get ready for the conversion let me know. If I had it to do over again there are a couple of things I might do differently. Sometimes, in an attempt to keep the budget in check, I make decisions I would like a do-over on.

Jay
    Would you mind listing the things you would do differently? Great build, really would like to do the same in the future.
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon)

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by George Hill View Post
    Would you mind listing the things you would do differently? Great build, really would like to do the same in the future.
    Hey George -

I'll do my best. Many are little things where I was trying to avoid additional costs, knowing there was a potential risk. Even though I had a quote on the engine build/conversion, other things kept popping up that added to the cost. Now that the project has been paid for i sometimes think an extra few hundred wouldn't have been a deal breaker.

What I wanted when I started this project was an e46m3 with a Touring body and some nice performance upgrades. A sleeper that was very street driveable, comfortable and reliable. A car that would perform well on track occasionally. Not a stripped out race car. Mostly, that's what we've accomplished although not quite done yet.

My biggest gripe so far is the exhaust. It's too loud for me and drones a lot on the highway. I'd prefer to keep more of a low profile. Especially when I get on it a bit. Before the S54 swap the car had a MagnaFlow catback exhaust which was fine. Replacing the OE S54 headers, having high restriction built-in cats, with aftermarket headers and anti-rasp center section caused a serious increase in sound. Both the anti-rasp resonators and the MF muffler are straight thru design. Not much sound deadening there.

Regarding the exhaust, the initial thought was to connect the new headers to the existing catback vs. doing a complete custom exhaust. I chose the former to save money. In hindsight, based on the churn I've been thru since and the money I've spent/will spend, it may have been smarter to go with a custom exhaust. No way to know for sure. A custom exhaust may have been too loud also. If I had it to do over again I'd go custom. Another option would be to stay with the OE headers/cats. Less performance but much more civilized. A stock e46m3 is ~280 whp. Mine was 310 with initial exhaust. Probably a little less with current exhaust mods. Dyno time will be happening again once I'm satisfied with the exhaust. I'll report results.

Another thing is the water pump. New ones are pretty spendy. I chose to go with a used one when they did the motor build. Kinda wish I'd have spent the extra for new. Hasn't been a problem but for peace of mind.

The other thing that's driving me nuts is my decision to upgrade tire size. I went from a 235/35-19 to a 255/35-19. Even with rolling fenders I'm still having rubbage. Nothing that can't be overcome but a bad decision on my part. In hindsight, I gained .2" of treadwidth and .5" of diameter. To overcome the rubbage issues I'll have to go with coilovers to replace the Koni Sports and Eibach Pro-Kit springs that are on the car now. Doing coilovers will cost me a minimum of $1K. It could also open up other costly issues. I'll see how I feel about this once I get the exhaust sorted. Might do the coilovers, might go back to 235/35-19s.

On the positive side, I was able to resolve the small windshield leak without having to remove the windshield or replace the gasket. Some urethane adhesive on the inside solved the problem. Thanks to an old school, local glass guy.

Jay

My Cars
    E46 M3, E28, E38s, E46
    Jay, thanks for the thoughtful reply. Seems in the grand scheme of the conversion you are happy and once those small items are sorted you'll definitely be happy. Have you thought about converting to a full M3 exhaust with the necessary trunk floor modifications? I'm not sure how the m3 trunk vs the touring open hatch area would affect the decibal level though.
    Current Garage... '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT (wife's), '02 Alpine 325iT (Eileen, Track Wagon)

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast