Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My land hatch build

My Cars
    1998 740i

My land hatch build

new to forum here,
    coming up on one year of ownership of the car its coming close to being "finished". Figured id share what I'm doing.
    i feel in love with sedans last year and after seeing Matt Waln's e38 i pulled the trigger and bought one.
    1996 740iL. Previous owner's DD through summer and canadian winters.
    unfortunately i didn't take any pictures of it before i started tearing it apart, but it was black, sitting on chrome m par reps. front was completely pitted, headliner falling, broken trims and everything else you'd expect from a 96.

started sanding the hood down as it was the worst part. Rock chips everywhere, headlight lenses completely pitted. Also had to replace 3 out of 4 doors because the bottoms were pretty rusty and rotted out.

i only had plans to do the hood, but one thing lead to another and this happened

decided to go balls deep and just paint the whole car.
    acquire some custom built BC Br series coils with swift springs and finally made up my mind on what shoes to put on her.
    fixed some odds and ends inside, and got my headliner wrapped in black suede. painted all the trims to match.
    had a hiccup for a while as one of the wheel locks snapped on me. After a lot of time, effort, and carbide bits later (cobalt drill bits didn't work) i got the wheel lock off and was able to finish installing my coils

wanted to do something different inside while keeping the class, so i sanded the original wood trim and went over it with a satin varnish for a nice matte look

Wheels....i wanted to keep an OEM look to it. I decided i wanted wide 3 piece, 19" style 5s. oddly enough i found a set that just been built by Spintech. 18" faces stepped up to 19" and converted to three piece. 9.5/10.5 wide, 2" and 3" lips, but that wasn't going to cut it for me.

i ordered bigger, 4.5" lips for the rear, and moved the 3" ones to the fronts, making them 19x10.5/12.
    painted the centres, acquired polished aluminum hex caps, and finished it with red/gold bbs emblems

decided to verify the size of the rears lol

a quick test to see where i was at and figure out my next move

the fronts didn't clear my struts so spacers were added to my list. rears cleared no problem, but i wanted to tuck the 12s and the -2 degrees of camber the stock adjustment allows just wouldn't cut it.
    did a lot of research in order to figure out how to get more camber in the back. Since there is virtually zero aftermarket for this car i did it stance works style and built adjustable control arms myself. pics to come

got some rubber for the BBS. Went with Feds 595. 215/35 and 245/35. The rears didn't fit unfortunately so i had to upsize it to 255/40. Didn't mind the bigger side wall in the back either.

worked my rear fenders on the inside aaaaand got her sitting pretty

i had some bad rust on my passenger rear quarter, so had to do a little bit of repair

30mm H&R spacer went in upfront, alpina rep lip went on, started masking the car for paint...
    nothing rubs or makes weird sounds. She drives nice and that 4.4 v8 groooowwwlllss..
    anyway if you've made this far, thanks for reading...she currently sits like this patiently awaiting paint.

instagram: @artur_bastos
    My E38 Build

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    nice work and good job saving another one from death! and welcome : can't wait to see it completely finshed!

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I love that matte wood!!!

I think I know this car. .. did you get it from brampton or toronto ?

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by M I C H A E L View Post
    nice work and good job saving another one from death! and welcome : can't wait to see it completely finshed!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    I love that matte wood!!!

I think I know this car. .. did you get it from brampton or toronto ?
    Thanks man, saw it on a gl at the auto show and loved it. Yea I did, some guy I'm Brampton I think it was. Or sauga I think
    My E38 Build

My Cars
    2000 740iL - 07/99
    Great build!

Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Follow me on Instagram @SEVEN40iL

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Nice
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    740iS, 535xiT, S55 AMG
    muy bueno

My Cars
    Two '01 740iLs
    I'm planning on a similar embark this coming year without the slammage.. It's looking good!

Good luck and keep us updated
    - Sean
    RIP Blitzkrieg

My Cars
    1998 740i

As you could see, one of my doors had bad rust around the handle.
    i sourced out a replacement today, which to my surprise was ming and it fits perfectly! barely adjusted anything.
    the only thing that sucks is that it came off a newer e38 with more options, such as lit door handles, and some chrome trim inside i don't have now i want!

My E38 Build

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Really not a fan of stretched tires, but the rest of the car looks great! Good job man!

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Yeah the tires aren't really my thing either but that's what makes this car unique!

All that rust work, I was looking at that car before I got mine from Brampton. I remember seeing the chrome M-Pars and thinking, "damn if only they were the polished ones I'd pull the trigger!"

Rust is popping up on my car, passenger door, passenger side rear fender is getting carried away (still bubbling paint no brown VISIBLE yet) and passenger side lower trim is bubbling up underneath. I HATE rust. Under the hood lip is rusting, and trunk line where people put that chrome strip is starting to rust. I figure I've got another winter with it before I do all the body work. I understand that it's one of those, THE SOONER THE BETTER things between not having the cash to do it and worrying that more will just show up right away anyway, I'm putting it off. Plan on doing windscreen and bodywork/paint at the same time because the PO GLUED the windscreen gromet in place and it's a disaster if I remove it.

All this body work you're doing is making me jealous though! Wish I had the necessary setup to do the same!! =D

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    E30 v8, Z3 coupe
    Looks good

My Cars
    2000 740i Sport
    Yea the stretched tire is not really my thing either (tho some think I stretched mine - not so much. ) With the rear angled out like that you have to be going through tires I'd think? Rocky Mountain 2000 740i Sport
    2000 740i Sport - Yes, this is my daily driver all year round.

Bought with 70,000 miles in 2002 - Currently 240,000 miles and change on the clock.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    This is some impressive work mate! You are diving in way deeper into body work then I ever would.

I am not a big fan of the matte look on the trim. It makes it look way to much like the really fake wood trim on my 99 Oldsmobile.

I kind of like the stretched tires. I am not sure how good that is for tire life but it is an interesting look.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Yeah the tires aren't really my thing either but that's what makes this car unique!

All that rust work, I was looking at that car before I got mine from Brampton. I remember seeing the chrome M-Pars and thinking, "damn if only they were the polished ones I'd pull the trigger!"

Rust is popping up on my car, passenger door, passenger side rear fender is getting carried away (still bubbling paint no brown VISIBLE yet) and passenger side lower trim is bubbling up underneath. I HATE rust. Under the hood lip is rusting, and trunk line where people put that chrome strip is starting to rust. I figure I've got another winter with it before I do all the body work. I understand that it's one of those, THE SOONER THE BETTER things between not having the cash to do it and worrying that more will just show up right away anyway, I'm putting it off. Plan on doing windscreen and bodywork/paint at the same time because the PO GLUED the windscreen gromet in place and it's a disaster if I remove it.

All this body work you're doing is making me jealous though! Wish I had the necessary setup to do the same!! =D
    I made a thread a while back about rust protection and if anybody ever used a rust proofing service and got zero responses, I think I will be having mine done this Winter. Underbody steam and spray sealant , wheels wells, doors etc and rust stopped and sealed up. So far no rust on this thing! I need to act fast!
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1998 740i

That's funny dude! Yea I had to replace 3/4 doors on this thing bec they were rotted. Then the rear quarter. Other that that it wasn't bad, I bought it mainly bec the guy did the major maintenance on the engine.
    That wind screen is a pain in the ass man I'm replacing all the clips on it plus the rubber trim too

Quote Originally Posted by Old city bimmer View Post
    Looks good
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by COLO740iSport View Post
    Yea the stretched tire is not really my thing either (tho some think I stretched mine - not so much. ) With the rear angled out like that you have to be going through tires I'd think? Rocky Mountain 2000 740i Sport
    Yea it's definitely not everyone's cup of yea. With a fitment like this though it's functional for ta purpose right. And no not really, as Lon as your toe is good it won't wear out too bad

Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    This is some impressive work mate! You are diving in way deeper into body work then I ever would.

I am not a big fan of the matte look on the trim. It makes it look way to much like the really fake wood trim on my 99 Oldsmobile.

I kind of like the stretched tires. I am not sure how good that is for tire life but it is an interesting look.
    Thanks man, it was hard to dive into it at first but I figured it was a good way to learn the ropes.
    I'm the opposite I didn't like the glossy wood. Looked plasticy and cheap to me and the vinyls most people put inside are super tacky , but again everyone's different right
    My E38 Build

My Cars
    1998 740i
    did a few more things recently...

welded my original muffler tips back on since i deleted the mufflers

never ending body work.... getting rid of a few dents

a few parts I've accumulated over this build. Replacing door trims, led plate lights, and a few3 other miscellaneous things. i deleted the headlight washers as well as the plate holder for a cleaner look up front. New kidney grills, fog lights, door seals, mirrors
    Ive also replaced the interior lights with leds, added halos to my headlights and wired them to my euroswitch so i can control them independently. They were also flickering so i fixed that up. i also have new bmw roundels on order.

on the to do list i still have:
    replace speakers (mine all suck)
    new head unit with nav, iPod control etc.
    parking sensors
    back up camera
    door handle lighting (a little brighter than oem)
    misc lighting (vip style)
    vip tables
    full seat re-uphostery
    folding mirrors
    rear seat fridge possibly haha
    cayenne bbk
    ....turbo ls1 swap muahahaha
    My E38 Build

My Cars
    1999 750i 1995 740i
    Awesome work dude. Looking forward to seeing the finished product..
    I like the matt finish on the wood too.
    95 740i 99 750i

My Cars
    E39 528i & E60 530D
    Nice work and this looks very promising, but damn, that rear suspension looks rusty as hell even to me who is used to road salt and rust

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i E38
    I LOVE this. Dem wheels as well!!!

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Nice work so far, im excited to see the final product. What are you doing with the chrome M-par repops? I need one for my winter tires. Hit a pothole last winter and cracked one.... keep up the good work!
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by FirmShark View Post
    I LOVE this. Dem wheels as well!!!
    haha thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by mboor View Post
    Nice work so far, im excited to see the final product. What are you doing with the chrome M-par repops? I need one for my winter tires. Hit a pothole last winter and cracked one.... keep up the good work!
    i actually sold the m-pars in the spring sorry man

Quote Originally Posted by Evilyeti View Post
    Nice work and this looks very promising, but damn, that rear suspension looks rusty as hell even to me who is used to road salt and rust
    thanks man, i know! the PO drove this year round and I'm not sure he rust proofed it. the rust all around this car was brutal when i first got it, bottom of the doors i could literally push my fingers right through them
    My E38 Build

My Cars
    1998 740i
    So I tried somethig out today

Porsche cayenne 6 piston brakes. I have some work to do in order for it to fit but I think it can be done. Ie already found where to get custom lines made and rotors should be an issue I think. Just fabbing up a mounting bracket will be the tricky part. I plan on putting 4 pistons in the rear too.
    Well see how this project will turn out
    My E38 Build

My Cars
    1998 740i

Getting ready to build my paint booth today
    My E38 Build

My Cars
    Soon to be a nice E38
    What a slick restoration you're doing, good for you! You're going to end up with one excellent looking e38 and you earned it! Those BBS wheels are beyond killer. Keep up the good work man.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast