Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E36 Turbo "Special" REAR Alignment Specs

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo

E36 Turbo "Special" REAR Alignment Specs

Going in for a alignment in the morning. Looking to see if any of you guys have any documented specs for rear alignment.

I don't do alignments @ my shop, but I have a buddy that will set it up however I wish.

Here is what im looking for.......
    Im not after a road course, or high speed twisty driving specs.
    I would like it to handle decent, but I don't go barreling down roads with tight corners for the most part. Im also not looking for setting it up to square up the rear tires on the hit for drag racing.

Id like if someone has found a happy medium. The majority of the driving I do is highway pulls, I like taking the on/off ramps at a decent speed. I also enjoy hitting the black top.
    Maybe somewhere in between a stock and a drag setup. Id like to keep the tire wear at a minimal, and get a little more contact patch for the straight line.

Here is my rear setup from the tailshaft back
    DSS driveshaft
    4 clutch 3.23 lsd
    AKG red diff bushing
    M3 axles
    Powerflex race subframe bushing
    M3 trailing arms
    UUC poly RTABS
    M3 balljoints
    UUC lower adjustable arms
    Koni yellow shocks
    UUC rear bar
    Adjustable rear springs. (Don't know the spring rates)
    They are raceland spring. Had H&R oe sports but needed to remove to clear the 26inch DRs.

Running 9.5 rear wheels and have plans for future flares
    Current size 255/35/18

Any input would be cool.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    E30 Supercharged
    Camber it so much that you look like the deloaren from back to the future they got up to 88mph in a short distance.
    I think the extra camber will get you better 60 foot times.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    For best drag traction, you're going to be somewhere near 0* camber, but this will rotate really easily on the street if you like to trail brake or come a little hot into a corner. I'd shoot for somewhere in the -1.0 range to get you a little more corner bite so it doesn't catch you off guard, but still a pretty good contact patch for the straight line.

For drifting I run 0* rear camber, 0.70* total toe in (0.35 each side)

For road racing, -2.5-3.0 rear camber and closer to 0.30* total toe in (0.15 each side). I would split the difference for your uses and go -1.0 camber and just mild toe in for high speed stability.

Also I would find your rear spring rate if you can. Changing that will make a huge difference on forward bite as well.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 08-13-2014 at 12:02 PM.
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    1997 328i turbo
    mikes specs are exact. when i want to save my tyre wear i add + camber and for cornering i add -camber. drag 0 . is it that u want the exact spec from the machine that it should be

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    For best drag traction, you're going to be somewhere near 0* camber, but this will rotate really easily on the street if you like to trail brake or come a little hot into a corner. I'd shoot for somewhere in the -1.0 range to get you a little more corner bite so it doesn't catch you off guard, but still a pretty good contact patch for the straight line.

For road racing, -2.5-3.0 rear camber and closer to 0.30* total toe in (0.15 each side). I would split the difference for your uses and go -1.0 camber and just mild toe in for high speed stability.

Also I would find your rear spring rate if you can. Changing that will make a huge difference on forward bite as well.

Mike
    Exactly what im looking for, was hoping you would pop in this thread.
    As far as "hot in a corner", I don't generally take corners at high speeds.

So how does -0.5 camber and toe in .15 ea sound ?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post

That'll work great. If you don't corner carve much or aren't ever really at the limit of the tires laterally, -0.5 should be great for you. That seems like a good compromise.

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5

Be VERY specific about units when you take it in. Degree, inch and mm are all commonly used and easily confused with each other.

Very similar to what Mike suggested above, I currently run -1 degree of camber per side, and 0.20 degree total toe. In inches units thats 0.1" total toe in (0.05" per side). For a slightly higher priority on cornering vs. straight line grip keeping in mind really good tire wear.
    Last edited by Keith1054; 08-13-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Jkpgt96 is offline One of those JZ swappers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Subbed. Great thread OP!!
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d- Blk on Cinnamon, Towing Pkg, Heat Pkg., etc..the tow rig/DD!

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Thanks guys, I truly appreciate it.
    This is very informative and over the years, I haven't really seen a thread dedicated to rear suspension setup.

You can have the best parts, but if not properly dialed in, then its a big waste.
    Pretty much fully built and just replaced the steering rack. So now is the time to dial it all in and make use of it.

Now that I got the chassis, suspension and steering built up. I can now feel better about going for some more power. I didn't want to be one of those guys that had 800wheel on a stock chassis.
    I can safely say (still knocking on wood tho) I have a good 75-100 passes this year without a tow home. Im still working on putting it all together aka launching techniques, and collecting advise from the knowledgeable ones.

In the end, id like to have a reliable 10second street car.
    The CES car is a great inspiration.

I will let you guys know how the alignment comes out, hopefully post a pic of the sheet.

Please, guys like me seeking advise for alignment specs, feel free to use this thread. Having Mike respond so quickly was a gift.
    Maybe he will do the same for you.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1998 M3 TURBO
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post

Mike
    Great advice. Mike-are you doing your own alignments? I'm thinking about trying to make my own "alignment setup" so that I can do it myself at home with my lift. Any advice?
    ICS Stage 1 NickG tune, 60lb Injectors, Blow through MAF, Synapse BOV, Boostlogic Manifold, BW-S366, Full 4" exhaust, Built Block w/ Wiseco's and K1 Rods = Good Times

My Cars
    328is GT35R
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...or-your-E36-M3

Not posting that to be a dick, but if we are talking alignment I figured others with less experience (like myself) could read that also, theres some good basic info in there concerning alignment! just figured if we are compiling some alignment info it was a useful thread

Maybe some will agree with the specs talked about in there and some wont im not trying to say that thread is the correct specs but just some more info for people like me trying to learn a thing or two :P
    Last edited by daze450; 08-13-2014 at 03:35 PM.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by daze450 View Post
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...or-your-E36-M3

Not posting that to be a dick, but if we are talking alignment I figured others with less experience (like myself) could read that also, theres some good info in there concerning alignment! just figured if we are compiling some alignment info it was a useful thread!
    Alot of guys with 500+hp/tq need more contact patch and custom alignments for traction. Probably wont find these specs in the E36 section.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    What Mike said is spot on about the tail-happy part... On stock 325i power i went from -3 down to -1 camber and notice that the rear wants to come around with a lot less effort and I'm sure that will be amplified greatly with close to 500whp so I'd be slightly concerned about -.05 and taking corners like you are driving a BMW.

I'm currently at -1 and .020 toe on each side and it's been a great compromise all around (for stock power) with daily driving and a little bit of drifting.

What are your front specs?

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    e30
    Doing an alignment yourself is not all that hard. Toe plates, camber gauges, and string are good enough for most people in the pits. The hardest part of toe alignment is making sure its even side to side which is where the string helps out. There are also fancier methods of setting toe, but I figure most here are budget minded.

If you aren't constantly adjusting your setup its probably easier/cheaper to just have the job done on a proper alignment rack.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    Doing an alignment yourself is not all that hard. Toe plates, camber gauges, and string are good enough for most people in the pits. The hardest part of toe alignment is making sure its even side to side which is where the string helps out. There are also fancier methods of setting toe, but I figure most here are budget minded.

If you aren't constantly adjusting your setup its probably easier/cheaper to just have the job done on a proper alignment rack.
    I have an old Hunter rack. But stopped doing alignments years ago.
    Still use the rack, but as a spare lift. Alignments only run me $39 @ my buddy's shop. But I do know some old timers that string the car off. With todays technology, alignments are very precise and wouldn't do any string alignments unless it was a beater. Pay the $60 or whatever most shops charge IMO
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    turbo m3, Z4M, M5,
    +1 to what mike suggested. I am running around 1 degree negative camber and .15 toe in on each side at the rear. Car saw a huge improvement you can power out while boosting out of corners in 3rd and it was very balanced. For a street car I would recommend front toe as close to 0 maybe just a slight bit toe in to aid stability when braking and about -1.8-2 camber, rear usually has 1 degree less camber and .15 toe in. Tire wear is minimal that way.

My Cars
    e36 m3, turbo e36
    Very good information is this thread on a very much over looked subject in my opinion.

What works well for me in the rear which I find to be balanced with similar driving style.

.5 degree camber
    .5 degree total toe in

-sold...replaced by turbo e36

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    It seems you found the spec's you want but down the road if you want to try more or less of something here's a short run down of the basics.

More toe in the rear will make the car stable at high speeds but will wear tires faster and will have poor turn in.
    Less toe or zero toe in the rear can make the car feel like its "floating" at high speeds and can wiggle under hard braking and turning

Camber due to our suspension design can even go to zero degrees because under compression we gain a little bit of camber.

Toe is what wears tires, camber moves the contact patch that the toe will effect the tires the most. I run -3.5 to -4 degree's of camber in the front of my track car with zero toe and have no problems with excessive tire wear when driving to and from events.

I'd rock what Mike or Beeasy said.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Well, went in for alignment. Here is the funny part. ....
    Over the winter I pulled the rear of the car completely out. Right down to the sheetmetal. I coated the underside with POR-15, replaced all bushings, sandblasted everything and also coated with POR-15. I eyeballed the rear as I assembled.
    Here is where I was @ .
    LR camber .6*
    LR toe .13
    RR camber .5*
    RR toe .15
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Well, went in for alignment. Here is the funny part. .... Over the winter I pulled the rear of the car completely out. Right down to the sheetmetal. I coated the underside with POR-15, replaced all bushings, sandblasted everything and also coated with POR-15. I eyeballed the rear as I assembled. Here is where I was @ . LR camber .6* LR toe .13 RR camber .5* RR toe .15
    Umm, your eyes are pretty good. Those specs should have proven, by now, to have upmost traction from your tires.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post

Umm, your eyes are pretty good. Those specs should have proven, by now, to have upmost traction from your tires.
    I got no wear, but I don't run expensive tires on the street. So I blame the tires for traction loss. I only lose traction in 3rd if its below 60*. But @ the strip I use pretty good tires. I still wanted it checked. I knew the rear was close, I pulled the car out in april and the rear never wondered. But after changing the steering rack, I figured now is the time to get some advise for specs.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

m3mods is offline Boost Addict BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Sub'd

My Cars
    Bima
    I tell people my car is faster when it's hot.
    The hotter the day the faster my car is.

Why? Traction
    I went from ultra cambered out lowered e30 to 1* camber
    didn't make a ton of difference compared to driving at night vs day.
    e30s get crazy camber when lowered btw.

My Cars
    1998 M3 TURBO
    So I realized before I went to the track that my wheel to fender measurements go as follows.
    Front wheel center to Fender 13"
    Back wheel center to fender 12"
    Compared to stock ratio (from what I could find which wasn't much and I'm talking ratio not actual measurements) It seems like my rear should come up about an inch. Does this sound right? Can you guys take some measurements. I'm just trying to decide if raising the rear will help my 60' times or not. Also will raising an inch or so screw up my rear alignment enought to be bad?
    ICS Stage 1 NickG tune, 60lb Injectors, Blow through MAF, Synapse BOV, Boostlogic Manifold, BW-S366, Full 4" exhaust, Built Block w/ Wiseco's and K1 Rods = Good Times

My Cars
    1998 M3 TURBO
    So I just strung my car (string and jackstands) I would say that it is as close to zero toe front and rear as you can get. I literally couldn't really measure how far off the one rear tire is (slightly toed in maybe a 1/16th at most?) without my caliper. I was really hoping this string meathod would be my easy answer to being able to change my suspension setup to try and get my 1/4 mile times down without spending $80 everytime I tweak something. Or I can just tweak away and know if it's as close as it is now it's probably fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast