Thread: E36 Raceland Ultimo Coilovers Review

My Cars
    E36

E36 Raceland Ultimo Coilovers Review

Hello there,

I have been searching for a new set of coilovers for my E36 coupe, due to the current track setup doesn't allow for a more extreme drop I wanted for the shows coming up.
    After a bit of research, the Raceland Ultimos came into mind. I got in touch with Cody at Raceland, he was very helpful and responded quickly.
    The order was shipped out right away, arrived just a few days later.
    Everything was very well packaged, the strut body is coated with satin black paint, with bright green springs and copper colored lock collars create a pretty interesting contrast.
    Coilovers itself look well made, welds are clean and threads are smooth on the strut body. They come with helper springs but I left them out.
    The adjustment range is huge on the front struts, if spun all the way down the car will lay frame, all the way up will be a mild drop from stock height.

Ride with the Racelands is actually quite comfortable, it is firm but not harsh.
    The front spring rate of 430 lbs/inch is almost identical to my previous setup of 440.
    At the ride height my car is set at, there are still a lot of shock travel left, which helps with the ride quality.
    Rears feel softer than my previous setup, but this is expected for street coils and it is definitely more comfortable than track purpose spec.
    For the money, Raceland Ultimo is a great bang for the buck, it even comes with 2 year warranty.
    I don't think there are anything else that comes close to its quality and customer service at this price range.
    If you are looking for entry level coilovers that can go super low, these should be considered.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    I'm not sure if I'd get racelands... but I dig the look of your car. Too low for me, but I like to look :P
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah I've read too many bad reviews to ever actually buy them. Even if every once in a while there is a good review like this I still don't think I'd ever pull the trigger on them.

Your car looks good. I dig it. Those are 18s, correct?

My Cars
    '96 328iC, '89 325i
    you may have a lot of shock travel left, but how much of that is usable with the stance? looks like you would rub if the car dipped any lower...

that said, very very clean. The stance isn't for me, but it sure is executed quite well.

'96 328iC, '96 328i, '89 s52 swapped 325i
    Shadetree30

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Does anybody know how to make the ultimos fit my 95 m3!?!

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    Well I see a roll bar inside so I guess the question of 'Can you even steer at that ride-height' is moot, but it looks like driving [parking] would be a wench!
    Looks cool tho.

My Cars
    6/92 m50 non vanos coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by e36Nater View Post
    Does anybody know how to make the ultimos fit my 95 m3!?!
    google it

op, car looks great

Was looking into these the other day and op's car is on the website lol! Looks good!

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    must of put the rollbar in case someone at a car show decides to physically flip the car over
    Buy my native installed ISIS ISTA-D/ISTA-P bmw diagnostic laptop. More Info Here!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325Ci Coupe
    I hate to resurrect an old thread but I am looking at getting a set of Ultimo's for my E46 and was wondering about your ride quality? My E46 isn't my DD and only comes out on weekends so if it's a harsher ride it wouldn't bug me too much. I personally love the stance of your car but I wouldn't go near that low due to some massive speed bumps in my community.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSpade View Post
    I hate to resurrect an old thread but I am looking at getting a set of Ultimo's for my E46 and was wondering about your ride quality? My E46 isn't my DD and only comes out on weekends so if it's a harsher ride it wouldn't bug me too much. I personally love the stance of your car but I wouldn't go near that low due to some massive speed bumps in my community.
    It will be a little stiffer than stock, you won't really notice a huge difference. Depending on how low you go it will get more and more bouncy. Save up and get some nice suspension, it'll be worth it.

My Cars
    1985 535i
    There is no shock travel... These coilovers are preload adjustable only. They are literally no better than cut springs. A true ride height adjustable coilover allows you to move the entire shock body up or down so you can retain the same amount of suspension travel while still being lowered. The reason H&R and Billstien coilovers don't go very low is because they are not meant to have the preload adjusted so far that they will blow the shock out or ride horribly.

The reason Racelands blow out all the time is because everyone who buys them drops the springs as low as they will go. This puts so much strain on the shock that it blows the seals out.

My Cars
    EE05063 97 Alpine Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrcanes55 View Post
    There is no shock travel... These coilovers are preload adjustable only. They are literally no better than cut springs. A true ride height adjustable coilover allows you to move the entire shock body up or down so you can retain the same amount of suspension travel while still being lowered. The reason H&R a oddly llstien coilovers don't go very low is because they are not meant to have the preload adjusted so far that they will blow the shock out or ride horribly.

The reason Racelands blow out all the time is because everyone who buys them drops the springs as low as they will go. This puts so much strain on the shock that it blows the seals out.
    oddly enough I know several people who are still or have been running these on various cars and they all loved them, none of them had a problem either.... None of the stories you hear about them breaking apart, shocks blowing out.... etc.... I have yet to meet someone in person who actually has owned them that had a major issue.

I have read many opinions on the Internet about how they will fall apart or blow out, aren't worth having, etc.... all from people who don't own them.
    Last edited by EE05063; 02-04-2015 at 07:00 PM.
    My M3 is 1 of 2

My Cars
    6/92 m50 non vanos coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by EE05063 View Post
    oddly enough I know several people who are still or have been running these on various cars and they all loved them, none of them had a problem either.... None of the stories you hear about them breaking apart, shocks blowing out.... etc.... I have yet to meet someone in person who actually has owned them that had a major issue.

I have read many opinions on the Internet about how they will fall apart or blow out, aren't worth having, etc.... all from people who don't own them.

I have had raceland ultimos on my e36 coupe for exactly one year today. I have the rear's maxed out and the fronts pretty down there. they ride like cheap coils, no complaints, occasionally I will rub tire on fender.

Only malfunction is after two months I blew the left rear shock because of personal faulty installation, replaced with two rear bilstein sports, no problems since.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Awesome setup man, whats your wheel specs? Haha