My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 4.8

X5 Popping/Rattling/Grinding Noise While Accelerating

Hi all,

I have been hearing a faint noise that may be described as a faint rattling, popping, grinding noise while accelerating in my 2007 BMW X5 4.8i. I realize it is difficult to pinpoint a noise without hearing it but I am curious if anyone else has experienced these symptoms or know the cause of it.

Items of note:

• Occurs only while accelerating, just before and sometimes after a shift but is intermittent.
    • Does not occur in Park or Neutral.
    • Occurs in any gear.
    • Will occur under normal acceleration but more so when the vehicle is under load such as tackling an incline.
    • Occurs almost constantly when in Manual Mode with RPMs high around 4000 to 5000 or with foot to the floor more than few seconds
    • Occurs more frequently after vehicle has warmed up and even more so in warm ambient temperatures.
    • Started hearing the noise about 8 months ago in January and has gradually become more frequent.
    • Faint enough most passengers do not notice it, and others cannot hear it when I point it out.

Other items of note that may or may not be related:

• Whine in Park, Neutral, Drive, and Reverse – fluctuates with RPM and dissipates with engine and road noise. I have been told this is normal.
    • Popping noise at crawl speed with wheel at full turn or slight turn with suspension travel. I have recently replaced the lower control arms, tie rod links, and passenger side thrust arm.
    • Clunk when shutting off engine.
    • Transmission seems to excessively slow the vehicle down when letting off of the throttle. This is intermittent and depends on gear and speed.
    • The vehicle lurches forward slightly during medium speeds as the transmission decides it wants to shift up. Very intermittent, otherwise transmission shifts are smooth to unnoticeable.

Thank you!

My Cars
    BMW X5, Lotus
    What grade fuel are you putting into the X? You need to run the highest octane fuel or else you will get knocking. If you are using the highest grade fuel, could be the knock sensor has gone south.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettSR5 View Post
    Hate to admit it but attack_eagle is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofBavaria View Post
    ............. then upallnight has probably got it right
    Spirit

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 4.8
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    What grade fuel are you putting into the X? You need to run the highest octane fuel or else you will get knocking. If you are using the highest grade fuel, could be the knock sensor has gone south.
    Knocking was my first reaction as well. I have been running 91 since I purchased the vehicle then stepped it up to 93 when I began hearing the noise. I have also ran some fuel system cleaner through the fuel system to no avail. It doesn't seem to be any better. I mentioned to my mechanic I thought it might be a knock but he didn't seem to respond to that thought. He did stomp on the brakes and the gas to test the torque converter but still wasn't sure as he sent me on my way and told me come back if it gets worse.

Thank you for post. Let me know if you have another advice. Thanks.

My Cars
    2008 X5
    I do think you might be experiencing the same thing that I am. Does your noise come from the rear of the vehicle?

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 4.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittx5 View Post
    I do think you might be experiencing the same thing that I am. Does your noise come from the rear of the vehicle?
    It seems to be coming from the engine bay or possibly the transmission tunnel. Lately I have noticed surging after letting of the gas peddle and some choppy acceleration while low-speeds in stop and go traffic for a while. It just doesn't seem as smooth as it should be.

My Cars
    BMW X5, Lotus
    Could also be a drive shaft where the splines are worn and now is slipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettSR5 View Post
    Hate to admit it but attack_eagle is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofBavaria View Post
    ............. then upallnight has probably got it right
    Spirit

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5
    My 01 X5 30i had a similar popping noise on acceleration. I replaced the transfer case chain to fix it

My Cars
    2010 328xi N51
    As far as the popping noise at crawl, how do your upper strut mounts look. I have seen them loose inside from being dry and worn causing a popping sound when turning and the strut moving up and down.

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 4.8
    *Update

I took the X5 to my indy for an oil change and he said the mechatronic sleeve in the transmission is leaking. He also mentioned when the sleeve leaks I should be experiencing abnormal transmission behavior. What he described is very similar to what I have been experiencing and what I mentioned above, such as delayed and erratic shifts and some hard shifting.

It seems this has been common issue. He quoted me $1200 for the repair as the sleeve is sold as part of an assembly, does this sound right?

- - - Updated - - -

*Update I took the X5 to my indy for an oil change and he said the mechatronic sleeve in the transmission is leaking. He also mentioned when the sleeve leaks I should be experiencing abnormal transmission behavior. What he described is very similar to what I have been experiencing and what I mentioned above, such as delayed and erratic shifts and some hard shifting. It seems this has been common issue. He quoted me $1200 for the repair as the sleeve is sold as part of an assembly, does this sound right?

My Cars
    530I, X5, 530I Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Could also be a drive shaft where the splines are worn and now is slipping.
    I belive this is your issue. The splines on the front driveshaft going into the transfer case are notorious for stripiing out.

My Cars
    X5
    Hi

Did you get your your issue fixed with the car noise from engine? I am facing the same issue started overnight from nowhere.

Jaz

My Cars
    2001 x5. 2004 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsoil94 View Post
    My 01 X5 30i had a similar popping noise on acceleration. I replaced the transfer case chain to fix it
    Did it work? And how much was it?