Thread: EML problem need help! - Limp mode / no power

My Cars
    92 BMW 535i

Question EML problem need help! - Limp mode / no power

Hey everyone, this would be my first post on any such bmw forum though I've scoured this and many other sites for years and decided here would be the best place to ask you knowledgeable folks for some help.

Not sure how relevant this info is but I think it might be related, I'll explain below.

Cooling system problems that I just fixed and are currently happening:

• About a month ago I had my rad and rad hose blow up on me and ended up getting an E32 7 series one to replace it. When putting in the 7 series rad I tested for overheating, it did, and because I didn't have the time I ended up putting a used thermostat from my old 535. (Some notes before the rad blew - the temp needle went past half whenever I sat at a light, leaking when parked overnight, and also once overheat and just started puking out fluid while on and parked from what seemed to be the drain plug or somewhere near it).
    • About 2 weeks later the rad hose blew again. Overheats completely and immediately at night but just runs a bit hot during daytime :S) - I replaced the thermostat with a brand new one, no more overheating, kinda.
    • Now, it overheats due to a loss of coolant - I haven't a clue where the liquid is going but I have to fill it roughly every 5 days. It does not leak anywhere I can find. I have also checked the spark plugs but no signs of head gasket leakage.

EML problems
    • When my rad hose blew the second time, I applied some duct tape, poured water I had in my trunk saved for this occasion into the system and drove my baby home as quick as I could. During the 10 min drive back, when I was just a minute away, the EML light came on for the first time and I noticed a slight loss of power. I quickly pulled over, turned the car off then on and the light was gone. I could smell a slight smell of oil burning near the end of my trip though the temp guage was not redlined but at about 3/4 to red.
    • Roughly a week after the first EML light incidence I had the light come on again with just a slight loss of power like the first time - did the same thing (off and on) and the car was back to normal. The light came on more and more periodically from once every couple of days to about once a day, again only with a slight loss of power. I usually complete my trip without restarting the car because it didn't affect me much.
    • A couple of weeks have gone by and the pattern of the light coming on is the same but now there is a noticeable loss of power, I can't decently pick up speed in traffic (getting the "what's this kid doing driving an old mans car like an old man" look)
    • Since about a week ago the light comes on and sometimes I'll lose noticeable power or I'll completely lose all power. This happened for the first time crossing a bridge, lucky there was a spot to pull over where I quickly restarted and I was on my way. Again I was on the highway only to have to EML light cut all acceleration and put me on the side of the road.
    • A couple of days ago on my way home I was hit with the EML light again, only to have it come back immediately after restarting and putting my foot on the pedal or within minutes of. No power whatsoever with foot on petal except for maybe a little fart of throttle. I also heard a bit of misfiring while in neutral and doing small revs, never heard it ever before
    • Rebuilt the throttle body yesterday and took the car out for a spin. Drove fine for the first 15 mins or so, was doing some "tests" going about 180km/h down a country road, hit the brakes for a 30km/h bend, only to have the EML light come back on with a complete loss of power to the pedal as well as the temp gauge not reading temperature at all then turning back on (it did this about 3-4 times before or after the EML came on as well as happening on its own). *Sigh* - I was able to get back home with it cutting all power about twice when the light came on and all other times just an "up and down" effect on the rpm/throttle with my foot on the gas.

So now I am here, not exactly sure what to do next. I've been reading the interwebz and there seems to be a whole lot of angles to this limp mode thing going on.

Some things I've been considering:
    • Check the 3 temp sensors with a multimeter (not sure what numbers to look for, couldn't find with a quick search. Anyone?)
    • Check temp sensor plugs and throttle body plug for corrosion/bad connection
    • Cripple the ASC assuming it is cutting the power from kicking in (though I haven't seen the ASC light go on, I've disabled it when the EML problem was happening and it did nothing)
    • Swap the entire throttle body with another that I have laying around
    • Reset ECU
    • Check wiring between throttle body and ECU
    • Look at the pedal potentiometer (not sure about this)

Anything I'm missing? Any insight?

Thanks in advance guys.

E34 535i Diamantschwarz - Driving now!
    --Swapped interior cream to black, 17" rims, Bilstein lowered sport susp., HID ellipsoids, Nightbreaker fogs,
    clear corners w. amber led, red painted rear signals, matte black exterior and interior trim, 7 series radiator, 300W Alpine sub
    E34 535i Black - Crashed, parted out.
    --Lowered sport susp., matte black exterior trim, lip spoiler, M5 skirts all around, clear corners

My Cars
    BMW E39 525D
    did you ever get too the bottom of this problem ?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    He cleaned the throttle valve, that is often the case with EML light, the unit is dirty, see here http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/DKMotorcleanup.pdf
    On my website are also the test data for the throttle valve under reference data>>DK input details : small PDF file
    The EML light must come on first when you switch the ignition on and then disappear after about 2 seconds, that is the checking function of the system. If the EML light never comes on, the engine runs in limpmode. Then you have to solder a bridhe in the cluster, I explained that here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...power+ultimate
    In case the EML light sometimes comes on, check for broken wires http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/644209/
    also check the plug and the wire loom going to the throttle body, that also breaks

But your car is an E39, here we are in the E34 forum, E39 is a lot different, so better make a new thread in the E39 forum and describe your problem there in details.
    Last edited by shogun; 12-19-2018 at 07:07 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!