Thread: Part Number Help Please

My Cars
    M Coupe

Part Number Help Please

I've done a search and realoem.com can't help. I need the part number for the rubber rivnuts that hold the rear license base to the hatch. I have a 2000 MCoupe. Realoem shows the 4 holes but does not indicate the rivnuts or screws. It only shows the bolts that hold the license plate on. This the same diagram the stealership has.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    M Coupe
    Thanks, I'll see if that works

Oops...Thats the wrong part #. That is the rivnut for the screw that holds the license plate to the base. It won't work. If you look at the diagram, you can see the other holes in the license base but no ref to the screw or the rivnut. The rivnut you mention is all rubber. The one I need has a brass thread insert inside the rubber and mounts flush
    ...Jay
    Last edited by MMM RED; 08-12-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    I just replaced mine and this IS correct part number for the part you are looking for.
    A rubber grommet with a brass nut inside that is inserted into the hatch panel itself to hold the plate base.
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.

My Cars
    M Coupe
    So Solly...I will pick it up today.
    ...Jay

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    No worries :-)

My Cars
    99 MC, 86 951, 91 Toy PU
    Sorry to revive a really old thread, but does anyone know how to install the factory rivnuts? I had to take mine off to repaint the hatch and can't figure out how to reinstall them. The fat rubber on the rivnuts are supposed to be on the inside of the hatch, which is very difficult to access. I may just get different kinds of rivnuts that can be pressed in from the outside if the factory ones prove to be too much of an issue to reinstall.
    Last edited by RAW VEGAN; 08-30-2023 at 01:15 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW VEGAN View Post
    <snip> does anyone know how to install the factory rivnuts? I had to take mine off to repaint the hatch and can't figure out how to reinstall them. The fat rubber on the rivnuts are supposed to be on the inside of the hatch, which is very difficult to access.
    Use BMW Installation Lubricant 83192405829 or similar.

My Cars
    99 MC, 86 951, 91 Toy PU
    Are these meant to be installed on on the outside or from the inside? And are there any special tools required?

My Cars
    99 MC, 86 951, 91 Toy PU
    Ended up going to Harbor Freight for their 10" Rivet Tool which came with a bunch of different sized rivet nuts. The M6 nut fit perfectly and I used some bolts I had to fasten the license plate mount to the hatch. Works so much better than trying to fiddle around with the factory BMW parts.