Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Bang for the Buck

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster

Biggest Bang for the Buck

Over the past three or four years I have a few best bang for the buck observations I wanted to share. These are not really performance upgrades for HP, but better drivability and enjoyment. There are other I'm sure, share yours...

1. $245 Mason Engineering short clutch pedal. It effects the way the drier interacts with the car at every moment, its makes the pedals parallel, is better for taller drivers as it gets your knee of the back of the steering wheel. This is the way BMW should have made our pedals.
    http://www.masonengineering.net/Subp...W_Products.htm

2. $100 Ireland Engineering Urethane Rear Subframe Mounts /Bushings. These effect the way the entire ass end handles and feels, very positive cornering and handling.
    http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item...bfrmmount.html

3. $130 BMW Shifter rebuild. I replaced #2 (with UUC delrin bushings), #3, #4, #7, #10, #11, #12 (includes #13 & 14), and # 15. It makes your shifter buttery smooth, and takes out allot of the loose wobble, it truly is a super nice feel.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0013

4. $29 UUC Stainless Steel Clutch line. $109/$95 UUC Stainless Brake lines. If you have not changed yours It's probably due, I experienced a firmer pedal in both the brake and clutch pedal, and quicker reaction from the brakes when applied.
    http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/stain...t-z3-p318.aspx
    http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/categ...e+line&x=0&y=0

5. $16.95 Seat Bushing Repair Kit. Tired of rocking back and forth at a stop light or on takeoff. This is the cure. (but will need to be done again in a few years
    https://www.bavauto.com/catalog/prod...yABEgLp_PD_BwE

6. $12.99 Seat Tilt Mod Kit. Basically it takes the Z3 seat from vertical and puts a 15* or so angle backwards tilt to the seat, better for taller drivers and for long road trips.
    https://www.thayermotorsports.com/co...-seat-tilt-kit

7. $14.00 Bronze oilite clutch pedal bushings. Tired of a screeching bird sound every time you push in on the clutch? This is what you need. (Delrin is also very good)
    http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/BRNZcltchbsh.html

Last edited by bubbafett; 11-17-2017 at 02:35 AM.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I would put the IE subframe bushings as #1. I've put mods on a few cars, and this is maybe the best one ever. Suddenly the back end started following the front end around corners. And, it drove better in every way. ... I also did the seat bushing fix on a previous Z3, not so exiting. Sure it's cheap, but given the work, I wonder if it's even worth the trouble.

My Cars
    '99 Z3 Coupe, 2016 R3
    Seat Tilt Mod, for only $10 worth of hardware the Z gets way more comfortable!
    Last edited by Tom Liberatore; 11-09-2017 at 03:02 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    $20 Glove box fix;

$14 oiled bronze clutch pedal bushings;

$25 blower motor resistor;

$99 emiata rear window.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    $5 Brass bleeder screw is pretty convenient.

And what's a petal? Are those near the breaks?

Last edited by s8ilver; 11-09-2017 at 09:21 AM.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Liberatore View Post
    Seat Tilt Mod, for only $10 with of hardware the Z gets way more comfortable!
    +1 YES! I forgot about that one.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    What diff. ratio are you running? That was my biggest impact mod to date. I went from from 3.07 to 3.46 to 3.38 to 3.15. Each was great for what I wanted at the time. I kept the Dinan 3.38, but I doubt I'll go that aggressive again.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I would vote for:

1) seat tilt mod... turned the Z from a 4 hrs is the max I wanted to drive it, to having done multiple 12-14 hr days in it, and being able to get out at the end, and walk like a human :-)

2) VANOS rebuild - to have bottom end torque again ... YES

3) seat bushings - but those aren't so much an upgrade, but correcting a BMW stupidity.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    ... 3. $130 BMW Shifter rebuild. I replaced #2 (with UUC delrin bushings), #3, #4, #7, #10, #11, #12 (includes #13 & 14), and # 15. It makes your shifter buttery smooth, and takes out allot of the loose wobble, it truly is a super nice feel.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=25&fg=05 ...
    That link did not work for me. This should:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=CK93-USA-05-1998-Z3-BMW-Z3_M&diagId=25_0013

I got the pedal, but can't install it myself. Also interested in the shifter bushings. Might order them and have one of the excellent local Indy's here do both mods.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 11-09-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3
    Over the past three or four years I have a few best bang for the buck observations I wanted to share. These are not really performance upgrades for HP, but better drivability and enjoyment. There are other I'm sure, share yours...

5. $16.95 Seat Bushing Repair Kit. Tired of rocking back and forth at a stop light or on takeoff. This is the cure. (but will need to be done again in a few years)
    https://www.bavauto.com/catalog/prod...yABEgLp_PD_BwE

Go for the original from Doug Whalen and never do it again https://www.whalenshiftmachine.com/_.../seat-bushings
    ZZZING 2000 Z3 2.3 Oxford Green Beige/Black Sharked, StrongStrut , Whalen Knob, LeatherZ, M upper shock mounts, Koni Sport Shocks, SSR Competition Wheels, HIR bulbs, Oxford Green Hardtop

My Cars
    2018 X4 M40i
    Fixing the headlight control module with a buss wire and solder so the backlighting stays constant and doesn't flicker - $0.00

Wiring the microswitch on the convertible top so it actually operates - $0.00

M50 intake on Ebay - $50.00

And then stupid amounts of money for darn near everything else...
    2018 X4 M40i

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    My stainless eBay headers are about 10 years old now. Hundred forty back then.

Terry
    Note 8/Tapatalk.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    Z3 2.2 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post

Maybe a pedal, which would be near the brakes

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster
    I agree with the seat tilt mod. Huge difference in how you butt feels after a drive.
    People I owe beverages to, lokijibber

I was tempted......verrrrry funny......kudos

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post

Terry
    Note 8/Tapatalk.
    is that a brown perforated shift boot?...I need to have one.......sexy cool

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakechan View Post
    Maybe a pedal, which would be near the brakes
    But what if the brakes break? Then we'd be braking bad. I don't think that show would be as good as the other one though.

I browse Craigslist a lot for parts and cool crap that'll work on my racecar, and can't believe how many people can't distinguish between the two:
    https://denver.craigslist.org/wan/d/...325838918.html

This one has a 4 cylinder transmission and black leather disguised as cloth:
    https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...348642593.html

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    I was tempted......verrrrry funny......kudos
    Come on guys. Yes I misspelled "pedal" like a brake pedal as "petal" like a flower petal. You got me, hardy har har... (But what you dont know/realize is I'm dyslexic, so basically you are making fun of the retarded kid on the playground) I do dumb stuff like that all the time, stick around there will be more comedy to come I'm sure. -- But believe it or not I have several advanced degrees: BS psychology, BFA graphic design, MFA photography.
    -

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    My convertible top was leaking at the sealing strip. Water would collect in the trunk and under the passenger seat carpet. It turned out that the previous owner did not use butyl tape between the tack strip and sealing strip when he replaced the top. After testing the sealing strip to body integrity, I determined there were small leaks there as well. For the cost of a roll of butyl tape from an RV supply company, I have a dry car. Low cost, but lots of work.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Come on guys. Yes I misspelled "pedal" like a brake pedal as "petal" like a flower petal. You got me, hardy har har... (But what you dont know/realize is I'm dyslexic, so basically you are making fun of the retarded kid on the playground) I do dumb stuff like that all the time, stick around there will be more comedy to come I'm sure. -- But believe it or not I have several advanced degrees: BS psychology, BFA graphic design, MFA photography.
    -
    All meant in jest of course. At least you didn't type "guibo" as that would have really stirred things up. Dyslexia would be a career ender for me, so I can't begin to understand the challenges. My wife is sure I have some form of ADHD. At first I thought she was joking. Hey is that a bird? Look, a rock. Wait, what were we talking about?

In all seriousness, we all have our issues. If we can't even joke about the petty stuff like spelling, what's the point?

I guess we can all ask for our membership fees refunded if we're too offended from an online forum.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 11-10-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

u gotta have thick skin here.....but we are all brothers......car guys...

I love poking fun....

and btw, I say BS on the degrees.....lets see the diplomas......lol

annnnd, how does dyslexia explain "petal"?..hehe
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 11-10-2017 at 02:37 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    My diploma is sterling silver and very tough to photograph, but I'm game if he is.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    lol...! You guys are too much. My current level of dyslexia is manageable, after working on it for 40 years. My skin is pretty thick about it, just like living in Kentucky and having all my teeth and several pairs of shoes. lol -- When you misspell words people assume your not an intelligent person, I get it. On the explanation dyslexic people often flip say a "b" for a "d" but also when spelling drop in incorrect letters usually vowels like an "e" where an "i" should be. Or like in pedal and petal, they are encoded so close in the brain one is real the other a reflection, so unless you proofread that kind of thing happens. More severe people get confused spatially, left vs right or up vs down. I do catch my self pointing left telling people to turn in on the right doe. hahah!
    Last edited by bubbafett; 11-11-2017 at 12:46 PM.

My Cars
    3 Series
    Glad to hear you like the Mason clutch pedal. I've been eying it for a while. I can't stand the flimsy plastic OE pedal.

bubba...

ever have car on dyno?......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post

Terry
    Note 8/Tapatalk.
    I love me some headers....sexy sexy sexy

but best bang for the buck?...why is that?.......ever do pre and post dynos?

Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    I would put the IE subframe bushings as #1. I've put mods on a few cars, and this is maybe the best one ever. Suddenly the back end started following the front end around corners. And, it drove better in every way. ... I also did the seat bushing fix on a previous Z3, not so exiting. Sure it's cheap, but given the work, I wonder if it's even worth the trouble.
    at over 230k miles....this is looking more and more appealling..the sf bushes that is...but geez Im not sure I can do this myself....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast