eBMWParts

Thread: Problem with tires rubbing on struts when turning.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is conv.

Problem with tires rubbing on struts when turning.

I recently put Bilstein sport shocks with bavauto springs on my 328is and I am having an issue with the tires rubbing the struts (or atleast I think its the struts). It lowered the car a little over an inch. I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem after putting the same springs and struts on. Please feel free to give any suggestions, such as spacers or camber adjustment plates or both, to help solve this issue.

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Springs will never ever change the tire to strut clearance. You're more than likely rubbing on the inner fender liner or the fender itself. Unless you put a different size tire on or change the wheel(changing offset/rim width/rim diameter) is the only time the clearance to the strut will change.

My Cars
    325IS
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroslide View Post
    Springs will never ever change the tire to strut clearance. You're more than likely rubbing on the inner fender liner or the fender itself. Unless you put a different size tire on or change the wheel(changing offset/rim width/rim diameter) is the only time the clearance to the strut will change.
    I have a similar issue but seems to be only on the right side. The tire rubs against the inner fender liner. I have M3 96-99 Bilstein sport shocks with M3 H&R sport springs with 17x7.5" M3 wheels with 225/45/17 tires on non-M 94 325is. Would putting spacers on fix the problem?

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    Quote Originally Posted by TITE3NBIGD View Post
    I have a similar issue but seems to be only on the right side. The tire rubs against the inner fender liner. I have M3 96-99 Bilstein sport shocks with M3 H&R sport springs with 17x7.5" M3 wheels with 225/45/17 tires on non-M 94 325is. Would putting spacers on fix the problem?
    Depends where you're rubbing at. If it's on the top of the fender well then it's only going to be cured by raising the car up, if it's only on the inside by the frame rail there's a possibility the rack was not centered when aligned. You can just count the threads on the inner tie rods and they should be relatively the same number as long as they are matching brand tie rods both inner and outter. Variances in caster will also cause this of one wheel is sitting more foward than the other, causes Include worn control arm bushings bent components ect. No way to tell why you're rubbing without knowing where you're rubbing. Spacers may or may not fix the issue more like a bandaid fix, but there's going to be something causing said issue.

My Cars
    1979 733i
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroslide View Post
    Depends where you're rubbing at. If it's on the top of the fender well then it's only going to be cured by raising the car up, if it's only on the inside by the frame rail there's a possibility the rack was not centered when aligned. You can just count the threads on the inner tie rods and they should be relatively the same number as long as they are matching brand tie rods both inner and outter. Variances in caster will also cause this of one wheel is sitting more foward than the other, causes Include worn control arm bushings bent components ect. No way to tell why you're rubbing without knowing where you're rubbing. Spacers may or may not fix the issue more like a bandaid fix, but there's going to be something causing said issue.
    My drivers side front is rubbing the inside of the strut support on the drivers side when turning to the right while driving.I had it up on a lift and there seems to be a 1/4 " of clearance between the tire and the strut support,where as on the passenger side it looks to be an 1 1/2" of clearance from the top of the tire to the strut support.The front end on the drivers side was replaced and I was wondering if a spacer was not put back in or?The spindle is attached to the strut support so I don't know how or if you could even shim it out or would a spacer alleviate the problem.The front end was aligned when they put everything in,but the tire rub is happening only when slightly turning to the right as you drive down the road.It is rubbing at the center of the tire.When the car was put up on a lift you can visually see there is almost no clearance.What if any or how can this be adjusted to give more space between the strut support and tire?

My Cars
    99 M3

Problem with tires rubbing on struts when turning.

Quote Originally Posted by zimnyc2005 View Post
    I had it up on a lift and there seems to be a 1/4 " of clearance between the tire and the strut support,where as on the passenger side it looks to be an 1 1/2" of clearance from the top of the tire to the strut support.

The front end on the drivers side was replaced and I was wondering if a spacer was not put back in or?
    Do you know the history of this car? Has there been any collision damage? Is the camber the same side to side?

Are the struts different brand? Is the spindle bent as result if collision damage?

If they are the same brand and model -
    Sounds like there are camber washers at the lower strut attach bolts between the strut and the spindle, only one side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 09-10-2017 at 12:33 PM.