Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XCRN's 525i Build Thread

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i

XCRN's 525i Build Thread

This will be my journal recoding my progress and thoughts on my first hands on experience with the Ultimate Driving Machine, but this is not my first project I have worked on so this won't be too painful for you to read or for me to do.

Below will be the progress on the project.

March, 2015

September, 2014

May 2014, When Purchased

Its a 1995 E34 with a slush box for now but it was cheap and great body, phenomenal paint, no rust, and the best part 160K miles.

The main issue as to why it is so cheap is the transmission goes into limp mode sporadically (something electrical is wrong), which I do plan to do a manual swap after awhile, but if I can fix the problem cheaply it will at least buy me some time to find a great bargain on the manual parts needed. Another little thing that will be annoying is no real cup holder. The HELL?!

Engine and Drivetrain
    • M50B25TU Single VANOS
    • M/S52 Exhaust Manifolds

Suspension and Brakes
    • Brembo Front Rotors
    • Centric C-TEK Rear Rotors
    • Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    • Caliper Rebuild All Corners

Exterior
    • E60 Style 138 Wheels
    • Repainted Trim
    • Red Clear Taillights
    • Clear Corners
    • Clear Fender Lights
    • Painted Bumper Trim Lights

Interior
    • Factory Parchment (Tan)
    • Carpet Dyed Black
    • Black Dashboard
    • Black Top Door Panels
    • Black Suede Rear Deck
    • Cheap Generic Floor Mats (Black)
    • Black Leather/Vinyl Shift Plate
    • Black Suede Pillar Trim
    • Black Suede Headliner
    • LED Lights
    • E32 Rear Headrests
    • E32 Rear Reading Lights
    • E32 Rear Cigarette Lighter
    • E34 Black Leather Shift Handle
    • Custom Leather Wrapped Granny Handles

Things That Need Fix'n (Items Fixed)
    • VANOS Rattle
    • All the Power Windows
    • Brakes All Around
    • Driver Door Panel Falling Off
    • A/C
    • Fast Battery Drainage
    • Sunroof
    • Seat Twist
    • Fog Lights
    • Vanity Lights
    • Flat And Bald Front Tires
    • Power Mirrors
    • Emergency Blinker Button
    • Gas Lid Hinge
    • Torn Rear Deck
    • Leather On Steering Wheel Torn
    • Driver High Beam Lens Cracked
    • Passenger High Beam Wobbles
    • Paint Blemishes
    • Rust Forming On Trunk Lid
    • Front Passenger Door Handle Sticks Open
    • Exterior Trim Fits Loose
    • It's An Auto

Manual Swap Progress (Items Completed)

• Acquire Transmission
    • Acquire Manual Drivetrain
    • Acquire Manual Pedal Cluster
    • Acquire Clutch/Flywheel
    • Acquire Transmission/Differential Seals
    • Transmission Seals
    • Differential Seals
    • Remove Auto Drivetrain
    • Remove Auto Transmission
    • Clutch Hydraulic System
    • Wiring
    • Install Manual Pedal Cluster
    • Shifter Rebuild
    • Install Differential
    • Install Clutch/Flywheel
    • Install Drive Shaft
    • Install Transmission
    • Install Shifter Linkage

Now on to some pictures of how it was when first bought.

I have cleaned the interior quite thoroughly but there is more to do inside. The driver door panel is falling off, and there was 5 really large wolf spiders inside the car when I first got to it so there may be a nest some where.

Today I have gotten on most of the door trim on but I need the clips. The battery is bad and will not hold a charge so that will need to be replaced. Front tires look like track slicks but are not. The engine runs really well but the transmission is the issue. To put it simple, second gear exploded so might as well add a fifth gear and a third pedal. I have purchased an entire swap from a member here who is local which was great to find since apparently manuals are not common around here.

- - - Updated - - -

So on my next thing to do immediately is get the battery replaced so I can at least move it around the property to flat ground so I can wash it. I also have the valve cover gasket set and I will see what kind of condition the engine is, and while I am at it repaint the valve cover gloss black since it is nasty.

Last edited by XCRN; 12-25-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    1992 525
    Good start man! Looks like you got a lot of work ahead of you though good luck with it!
    "Helicopters: 10,0000 pieces of metal fatigue rotating around an oil leak."

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    Finally got it, very cool.

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    I was very excited to see it. First day in OH started with missing my first flight at 4 am and arrived at 1 am in Cincinnati, about an hour and a half drive to my new home. When I first get to my new home, I don't go straight to bed, I go straight to the BMW.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    ///M5
    Great start, I'm against repainting it black though. Calypso really pops when it's brought back.
    Current
    2005 E55 AMG
    1998 Silverado K1500
    1964 Impala
    ​1964 Chevelle 496ci

Past

2000 Avus M5
    1988 Suburban K1500
    1987 Suburban K2500
    2007 Suburban
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2000 MGM
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2001 Stratus 740i Msport
    1990 750iL
    1995 540i/6
    1996 MGM

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    I guess, the only reason I considered repainting it is that there are enough paint blemishes to annoy me and enough where a touchup will be noticeable, but first thing first is getting it drivable. Hopefully next week Thursday I will be picking everything up for the 5 speed swap.
    Last edited by XCRN; 07-30-2014 at 12:54 PM.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    I got some more work done today. Nothing too big, just a valve cover gasket and repainted it too. I could not find my power sander so I did a piss-poor job for now but you will get the idea and when I find my sander it will be much better. I also cleaned the spark plug cover thoroughly.
    Before

After

And here is whats under the valve cover, not horrible but could be better.

I did have some trouble during the job. I rounded off one of the valve cover bolts and could not use my usual methods would not works so I had to drill it out and when I got the cover out some of the small chips fell into the head but not a lot. Will I have a problem with this?

- - - Updated - - -

And you guys said the cupholder are useless. They do great as bolt holders.
    Last edited by XCRN; 12-25-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Made a huge leap today in the project. I picked up the entire manual swap with a 3.23 LSD thanks to south42. It is nice to have someone local to annoy for parts. Thanks Andy!

I also got the driver high beam lamp, hood props, and a weather strip so I can do the DIY fix for it.

I was going to do the weather strip fix tonight but the mosquitos got a bit insane. I am also hoping to give the drivetrain parts a clean and maybe repainting.
    Last edited by XCRN; 12-25-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Did some more work today. I replaced the hood struts so now I do not need the crutch to do engine work, Yay! Replaced the cracked high beam lens and I used the toothpaste method to clean it. Fixed the shrunken door sill seal. Repainted the trim. Actually cleaned the car after months of sitting. There are a bunch of cats around the land and any cat caught on my car will be fed to the dogs.

I was going to clean the transmission parts but I got lazy after I finished other stuff. Here is why I just said "screw it".

And here she is after a much needed wash.

This is before where it has just been cleaned.

After.

Here you can kind of see the difference in color. The painted one looks a bit faded but it is nicer in person.

I also found a colony of ants underneath one of the rear bumper trims. So I took it off and power washed it.

Gave a good opportunity to get an idea on the hidden rust and it is not too bad. Mainly the exhaust area and gas tank from this view.

Now regarding my progress on the manual swap, which is nothing, I am going to rebuild the shifter, reseal and paint the transmission and differential.  I still need to decide on what to about the clutch. I am currently leaning towards the M20 flywheel/clutch. I know that I have to machine a bit off the back, but I am not sure why, something about clearing the engine block but how does bringing it closer to the block give it clearance?  Any thoughts?
    Last edited by XCRN; 08-12-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Another active few days. Only 10 more days until school so I am trying to get all the small stuff done before life takes over.

I painted the door handles and in the process broke the covers so I got some metal covers from south42 and painted those to match. I am currently waiting for the gaskets to come in since mine were cracked and looked nasty. I also found more ants underneath the driver door handle.

I got power back and was able to move the car to asphalt so I could jack it up and remove the wheels for cleaning. In the picture below is a before and after.

And while I was there I saw a the condition of the brakes. They are defiantly a high priority now. This is what it was like on all 4, yikes!

Slowly this car is becoming less of a $1000 beater.

I also got a few other things done. Like I said the power came back so I took the opportunity to remove the seats and really clean underneath them. I found melted hard candy and all sorts of nasty crap underneath.

I also got 2 used tires up front for $120 installed but they are not balanced, however I just need to move the car around the property and the flat tire were not helping.

And what I did today was get all windows to work properly. The rear windows just needed screws jammed in the gear. The front driver however required quite a bit of work. I believe the previous owner attempted to fix it and failed, and is probably why the door panel is falling off. To begin with the regulator was not even connected to the sliders on the window, but that was not the original issue. I believe the issue that the previous owner had was that the grease on the sliders and rail turned to a hard clay like substance and prevented the sliders from moving. So I guess the PO just left the window disconnected. I fixed the issue by removing the window and soaking the rails in degreaser and using a power washer to clean out the rails. It worked before the battery died from constant use of the windows.

Productive few days and more to come. When I get a part-time job I will start ordering the remaining stuff for the manual swap such as the clutch and seals.
    Last edited by XCRN; 12-25-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    88 325 / 91 525i / 03 X5
    This makes me more eager to start fixing mine up, just one more month

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Took out the carpet and cleaned it up. It was nasty is some areas. I got a feeling the person before me just stuck drinks from fast food between the seat and the center console and that it did not end too well, and I think this happened on more than one occasion. Either way the stains are gone.

The picture do not show how bad some of the stains were.

I do like seeing no rust on the floor pans so that is another good sign of the rust situation.

And here is some of the after. I used a power washer and Dawn dish detergent which worked wonders on the carpet and also on some of the hard plastic pieces with dirt deep on the surface. I really recommend using Dawn to clean up stuff like this.

It is still damp from the sound deadening material acting as a sponge so I will give it another day or 2 to dry. I also am considering just leaving it out and waiting to get the black dye for this. I do eventually want an all black interior, but I have always loved tan interiors with black carpet. I will also dye the rear deck I am picking up from South42 since tan with black deck looks really nice too.
    Last edited by XCRN; 12-25-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Great job saving that poor thing so far, it already looks pretty sharp. Now for the massive mechanical overhaul...
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Great job saving that poor thing so far, it already looks pretty sharp. Now for the massive mechanical overhaul...
    Thanks! I am still unsure of when the manual swap is going in since school will be starting next week, but I made new friends who can help and when I do start we may get this done in a weekend.

I am going to be getting a part-time job soon so I will be more comfortable starting it since I will have some money coming in. I do have the money to get the last bits, but not enough for any of those unexpected occurrences which is bound to happen with something of this magnitude. All I need is the clutch and flywheel (which ever route I go), the seals, shifter rebuild components, and the fluid. Not much more to get.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by XCRN View Post
    Thanks! I am still unsure of when the manual swap is going in since school will be starting next week, but I made new friends who can help and when I do start we may get this done in a weekend.

I am going to be getting a part-time job soon so I will be more comfortable starting it since I will have some money coming in. I do have the money to get the last bits, but not enough for any of those unexpected occurrences which is bound to happen with something of this magnitude. All I need is the clutch and flywheel (which ever route I go), the seals, shifter rebuild components, and the fluid. Not much more to get.
    Good luck, I slowly fixed/upgraded an E36 M3 through college, so I definitely know what it's like on a strict budget.

Not to be a negative nancy, but with the condition of that car, I'll bet every piece of rubber in the suspension is shot. I would probably also prioritize a manual swap, but a new suspension (not just shocks/struts) will make it a new car, too.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    I would not doubt the rubber is in poor condition but it is holding right now, but I do not want to drive to aggressively because of it. I will be needing to do brakes shortly after as well. Rotors and pads look to be rusted and the calipers have lots of surface rust so I will take those all off clean and rebuild them. I do hope by the end of this year I can get suspension (lowering slightly) and brakes done as well with the manual swap, and I do not see why not.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Great thread and great work! I almost enjoy reading about someone bringing a car back to 100%, cleaning it up, etc, than I do an upgrade-filled thread. Keep it up!
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    I appreciate the comments, it really helps having a clean body since I know nothing of body work. I will eventually get to that upgrade stage some day though.

Well I finally found something that genuinely pissed me off trying to do to this car, those awful door handle trim covers. I finally figured out how to do it properly since I just pried them out the first time and had to get replacements. My attempt to repaint the trim failed since I smudged it. But before I figured out how to do it I was using brute force to get it to snap in. I got to the point where I used tools to force it in and I slipped and did this.

Any recommendations for fixing it since some of it hit bare metal.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    Ruckus.
    You might try going to the dealer to get a small touchup sample and doing it yourself. Atleast that is what I would do.

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Got the rear deck from South42 and the remaining fender trim from ross1. When I was doing the exterior trim painting I forgot to clear coat most of it and it was subjected to rain so I gave them a quick respray and today I will get the clear coat on them. So I got one step closer to the black interior, but I probably need another can of the fabric paint.

I let it sunbake for the few hours of sun remaining yesterday and was hoping to do the same today but it rained pretty hard, and I was watching my Air Force friend crap himself on rollercoasters.

- - - Updated - - -

Something I should mention that I find to be really good for the trim repainting if you do not have access to a proper setup (air compressor, spray gun, etc) is to use the VHT suspension spray paint and any wheel clear coat. What I also found out by accident is that using a dried out Armorall cloth to rub lightly the trim 10-15 minutes after you finished painting all the coats and the same with the clear coat. It pushes the excessive loose paint into areas that it is lacking. Just my experience.
    Last edited by XCRN; 12-25-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    E34 528i, E39 540i M
    Nice work its already looking good. Calypso red suits E34's really well.

My Cars
    '10 335i 6M, '90 535i 5M
    Quote Originally Posted by XCRN View Post
    I appreciate the comments, it really helps having a clean body since I know nothing of body work. I will eventually get to that upgrade stage some day though. Well I finally found something that genuinely pissed me off trying to do to this car, those awful door handle trim covers. I finally figured out how to do it properly since I just pried them out the first time and had to get replacements. My attempt to repaint the trim failed since I smudged it. But before I figured out how to do it I was using brute force to get it to snap in. I got to the point where I used tools to force it in and I slipped and did this. Any recommendations for fixing it since some of it hit bare metal.
    It's going to be a bit of work but you can fill it flat with touch up, sand, clear and polish and do a decent job of repairing a scratch like that.

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Quote Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
    It's going to be a bit of work but you can fill it flat with touch up, sand, clear and polish and do a decent job of repairing a scratch like that.
    Like I said, I know nothing of body or paint work, well beyond the trim. I will eventually practice that stuff on a spare fender and get to the point where I could do that, but for now I will have someone more qualified than me to do it since it will look worse if I do try that.

And I had another "Oh crap" moment with the trim this morning. The bumper trim got re-sprayed and clear coat on them and I left them outside on top of the hood and it rained overnight and ruined it. I know what I am doing today.

And a question for the public. So I am going to dye the carpet black soon and I am probably going to use RITdye since I do not want to be the test subject for the hair dye. I was wondering how many boxes or bottles would I need for the entire carpet submerged in a kiddie pool of the mixture? I am thinking 7 bottles for a solid black. I also considered the spray bottle method and rubbing it in, which should require less dye for the same result just more time.

- - - Updated - - -

More was done today. For some reason all the photos turned out horrible, so the little details will not be seen.

I polished the inner tail lights with tooth paste. They look new now so they match the outer tail lights which are actually new.

PS, this picture shows the only exterior rust on the car.

And I started dyeing the carpet. It looks better in person and the one you see just needs another light coat. What I did was get RIT liquid dye and I changed the mixture multiple times but I started with a 2:1 water to dye mixture in a spray bottle and rubbed it in with my hands (used gloves) and it eventually lead to adding more dye into the mixture and using a stiffish brush,and even at some areas just dumped the dye directly on to the carpet. I only bought 3 bottles and still have enough to finish off all of the rear and the driver side you see in the picture. I will get a better picture in the sun tomorrow.

Last edited by XCRN; 12-25-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Update on the carpet.
    Here is a pic of the beginning of the piece in the front and one night for the other 2.

And here is some after a quick coat, dried in a barn for a few hours, and l set out in the sun to bake for about an hour now. The front only look un-even from the brush strokes. If I were to brush it all one way it would have a consistent color. The rear section was still drying at the time the picture was taken and looks a bit flatter now.

Passenger

Rear

Driver

Fixed my "oh crap" moment, it is all clear coated and has been sitting indoors for 2 days now.

Last edited by XCRN; 08-23-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    A few e34s
    Love the Calypsorot color on e34s. I though it was "meh" until I bought one for myself haha.

Great project, keep up the good work reviving the e34 .

Also how hard was it to pull the carpet from beneath the HVAC box or did you cut it?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast